Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Apr 22, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #4,366 of 6,432

Quote:

You're thinking of the mainstream dubstep that everybody and their dog knows about. "True" dubstep is all about the (sub)bassweight. Examples: 

(Please note that Youtube really screws up the quality of these tracks.)

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... i felt sick after listening to that earth shattering bass.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #4,367 of 6,432
A friend was informing me of how good his beats sounded, till i hooked them up to my portable rig. 
The funniest part was watching his jaw hit the ground. 
A great saying is that education is best leaned through experience. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4,369 of 6,432
The problem I have with that dubstep is that it's nothing BUT bass. It's the simplest beats otherwise and I need stuff going on (which shows in the music I listen to I suppose lol).

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #4,370 of 6,432
There is a time and a place (and a mood) for everything, I think.
I don't listen to dubstep often, but when I do, I prefer Benga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZM-zLHv3Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haAxsi9MKWA

Quote:
The problem I have with that dubstep is that it's nothing BUT bass. It's the simplest beats otherwise and I need stuff going on (which shows in the music I listen to I suppose lol).

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #4,371 of 6,432

Quote:
Can you please then tell me how those tunes I posted don't have subbass then?

What "tunes" no link and no videos on your post that I can see.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #4,374 of 6,432
Or NIN, or anything that uses drums, a standing bass, a bass guitar played skillfully, or a pipe organ. Sadly that's not what people after bass head headphones are after.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #4,375 of 6,432

Quote:
Or NIN, or anything that uses drums, a standing bass, a bass guitar played skillfully, or a pipe organ. Sadly that's not what people after bass head headphones are after.

I am. 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #4,376 of 6,432
People who talk about sub bass, I would call that things that approach 30hz, and anything lower. I've heard things from Black Eyed Peas and Young Money that have more bass than the NIN links and dubstep posted here.

Kanye West: Love Lockdown may be a good thing to listen to. Most speakers just quiver and make the last note of the beat pattern sound like a thump. Decent speakers will show you it is much lower than it sounds on bad earphones.

To stop any argument about good bass tests, try this: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #4,377 of 6,432
Not a headphone reaction at all, but my friend has some decent speakers that for the longest time have been A) Set up incorrectly, and B) using a DVD player as an amp. 
cool.gif

So, I convinced him to get a real amp, (lepai tripath) and set it up for him today. To say the least, he was blown away. He closed his eyes and shivered when the bassline in his favorite song came in. It was a fun thing to watch. 
popcorn.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #4,378 of 6,432

Quote:
Can't stand dubstep, all the bass just gives me a headache.

Same here. I don't have a problem with the deep bass; it's just that most dubstep tracks sound really boring to me. I've tried hearing some of them to find out what's really so good, and I've only found stuff from Adventure Club to be moderately interesting.

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #4,379 of 6,432

Quote:

I am. 
tongue_smile.gif

WELL AREN'T YOU THE SPECIAL ONE!!!
wink_face.gif

Okay I should have said %90 of the people looking for fart cannons don't listen to good bass hah.

Apr 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #4,380 of 6,432
I find that certain dubstep, i.e. DMZ, Loefah etc., to be very meditative. After all, the DMZ slogan for their bi-monthly club night is "Come meditate on bass weight." 
biggrin.gif

I agree that dubstep is a bit headache inducing with a pair of cans but hook up a pair of nice speakers and a decent sub and it really is an experience. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back