Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #4,261 of 6,432
Not too surprising. Some people like Skullcandies more than the HD800 because "they have more bass".

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #4,262 of 6,432

Quote:
Not too surprising. Some people like Skullcandies more than the HD800 because "they have more bass".

True on that. I've gotten comments stating that the SR80i is better than the HD650 because it has more treble and is more clear, at least according to my friends who have auditioned my gear.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #4,263 of 6,432
in some people's opinion, the grado's DO sound better. Music is subjective. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #4,264 of 6,432
Of course. I envy those people who actually can't hear the muddiness of the Beats Studios. They save so much money compared to us.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #4,265 of 6,432
My wife walked in a little while ago and she noticed the O2s I'd gotten today and she asked, "more headphones?". I replied, "No, they're earspeakers".
"What's the difference?"
"Headphones are headphones, earspeakers are STAX electrostats." Then I put them on her head and put on Paper Airplane. I could tell she was really listening, her eyes getting wider, and she finally asked me, "Holy s***. Why didn't you get these to begin with?"

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #4,266 of 6,432

Quote:
and she finally asked me, "Holy s***. Why didn't you get these to begin with?"

I would ask you the same questions, really. If I had the money I'd just get a SR-009 and be done with audio equipment for the rest of my life.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4,267 of 6,432
"if you gotta ask, you'll never know."

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #4,269 of 6,432
I would ask you the same questions, really. If I had the money I'd just get a SR-009 and be done with audio equipment for the rest of my life.

Deals like the one I found don't come along very often. I paid less than half of what they're worth, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford them right now.

Also, I enjoy the progression and listening to different styles cans. Now I'm gonna be shopping for some SR-40s, just because.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #4,270 of 6,432

Quote:
Deals like the one I found don't come along very often. I paid less than half of what they're worth, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford them right now.

That is fortunate of you. I'm jelly. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #4,271 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
And I'm sure she can't tell the difference between your HD800s and your HD555s. 
wink.gif

How did you know? She actually couldn't. I could hardly believe it, but it's the truth.

To each their own, right? Your mom is obviously into sewing, so she can appreciate the difference the new machine makes, and you're into headphones, so you can tell the HD800s are clearly better. You should be glad she didn't invite you to try out her sewing machine... 
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #4,273 of 6,432

Quote:

I wouldn't be so sure, unless you prefer very revealing neutral sound signature compared to coloured sound sig, those that hear things this way are those that listen to a lot classical, vocals and other oldschool genres.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #4,274 of 6,432

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure, unless you prefer very revealing neutral sound signature compared to coloured sound sig, those that hear things this way are those that listen to a lot classical, vocals and other oldschool genres.

I've never heard the SR-009. All I've heard is people calling it the best headphone ever made, so I just said it as an example. I never saw the point of getting like, a ton of headphones. HD800 and LCD-2 accompany each other really well so I can understand that, but if you have like 30 headphones, I don't really see the point...

I'm not an audiophile I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back