Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Mar 31, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #4,231 of 6,432

jerg

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 11, 2010
Posts
6,124
Likes
846


Quote:
So I recently got the LCD2 about a week ago right.....when I purchased my HD800 while ago, my mum told me off for spending so much on just "mere" headphones, like as if I was some sort of Audio Professionalist. So I was just listening to The Best of Marvin Gayes album, and Sexual Healing came on, my mum heard it and asked if she could have a listen........at the end of the song, my mum's like well these sound pretty good, actually too good to be just .....wait for it.....so she ask me how much I spent on these........I'm like only about $700....and then she looks at my HD800's and goes...."these are well worth it, then that plastic crap".......-.-
 
Seems like my mum doesn't like slightly bright headphones......well at least she enjoyed the LCD2 just now.....
 
EDIT: Now she told my old man about it and my old man is telling me buy her a pair so she can go jogging with these......../Win!



Older people tend not to mind roll-offs in audio as much since high frequency hearing tends to deteriorate as you age. So subtract that from HD800's, and the only thing going for it is soundstage, which not everyone appreciates highly. LCD2's then would be an obvious win for older individuals.
 
Also, classy wood + wrought iron, vs silvery plastic, obviously she would prefer the former lol.
 
Mar 31, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #4,232 of 6,432

DefQon

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Posts
7,068
Likes
144


Quote:
Older people tend not to mind roll-offs in audio as much since high frequency hearing tends to deteriorate as you age. So subtract that from HD800's, and the only thing going for it is soundstage, which not everyone appreciates highly. LCD2's then would be an obvious win for older individuals.
 
Also, classy wood + wrought iron, vs silvery plastic, obviously she would prefer the former lol.



I think it pretty much comes down to perference at the end of the day, as my old man likes the HD800 for its clarity far better then the LCD2 and his an ex-audiophile, retired hobby.
 
Apr 1, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #4,236 of 6,432

DefQon

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Posts
7,068
Likes
144


Quote:
They sound like they live in a very rich society for his dad to get headphones so expensive... ¿for jogging?


1. My dad suggested I get my mum the LCD2's (sarcasim intended) for jogging, /insert common sense/
rolleyes.gif

2. We don't live in a rich society, I just happen to work and study at the same time and have a bit of money lying around to invest in something bit better of this hobby I like.
3. If I did live in a rich society, skip the headphones and I will get some uber good speakers.
 
Apr 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #4,237 of 6,432

ZetsuBozu0012

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Posts
348
Likes
26


Quote:
1. My dad suggested I get my mum the LCD2's (sarcasim intended) for jogging, /insert common sense/
rolleyes.gif

2. We don't live in a rich society, I just happen to work and study at the same time and have a bit of money lying around to invest in something bit better of this hobby I like.
3. If I did live in a rich society, skip the headphones and I will get some uber good speakers.



Maybe you could invest in some TF10s for your mum? They're really very good IEMs, if she wants them for jogging, and the SQ's on par with quite a few decent mid-range cans.
 
P.S.
If I could somehow manage to gather enough cash to afford a hi-fi setup, then I'd only buy IEMs for out-and-about use. I think most head-fi'ers feel that way, though I don't speak for everyone. Personally, I kinda like the exaggerated stereo separation of headphones. It's a histrionic 
rolleyes.gif

 
Apr 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4,238 of 6,432

macrocheesium

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Posts
1,563
Likes
35

 
Quote:
 
If I could somehow manage to gather enough cash to afford a hi-fi setup, then I'd only buy IEMs for out-and-about use. I think most head-fi'ers feel that way, though I don't speak for everyone. Personally, I kinda like the exaggerated stereo separation of headphones. It's a histrionic 
rolleyes.gif



I'm with you there. I don't like taking anything other than IEMs out, regardless of whether or not I have a nice setup at home.
 
Apr 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4,239 of 6,432

C0nstantine

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 1, 2012
Posts
2
Likes
0
I let my friends try out a few flacs on a HTC Incredible S > RSA Predator > Shure SE425 with custom cable. (I have a HD650 i don't really like to use on the go.) most of them said it's very good until one of them said these few words.

"I still think beats sounds better, the bass, y'know."

Well maybe thats what happens when you dont put the earphones on properly cause you're too friggin lazy to (She just barely put the foam in her ears and didnt bother putting them on the right way.) Also, i was playing Adele's "Someone Like You", which has almost non- existent bass......

Sigh. Had to grit my teeth and give a faint laugh before passing it to the next person.
 
Apr 2, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #4,241 of 6,432

DefQon

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Posts
7,068
Likes
144


Quote:
Maybe you could invest in some TF10s for your mum? They're really very good IEMs, if she wants them for jogging, and the SQ's on par with quite a few decent mid-range cans.
 
rolleyes.gif



Thinking about shelling out extra to get her some 1964-D or T custom IEM's.....if not then I'll pass my IE8 with the Galaxy pure silver cable I received just today that lee370 recommends to her.
 
Apr 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #4,242 of 6,432

ZetsuBozu0012

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Posts
348
Likes
26


Quote:
Thinking about shelling out extra to get her some 1964-D or T custom IEM's.....if not then I'll pass my IE8 with the Galaxy pure silver cable I received just today that lee370 recommends to her.



Your mum's lucky to have you :))

Still, aren't custom moulds overkill? I mean, I get that she'd probably appreciate them a lot, but in terms of pure SQ, universal IEMs are usually better than customs, when comparing from within the same price range. At least, that's my take on it.
 
P.S.
First time hearing of a custom cable for a universal IEM, or for IEMs in general. Come to think of it though, if people'd go through the trouble to re-cable full sized cans, why not portables? 
rolleyes.gif

 
Apr 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #4,243 of 6,432

ZetsuBozu0012

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Posts
348
Likes
26


Quote:
I'm with you there. I don't like taking anything other than IEMs out, regardless of whether or not I have a nice setup at home.


 
Hmm, I personally don't mind taking out my full-sized cans to school, provided I avoid using public transport. It's just that I can't really afford to have two separate pairs of headphones (e.g. one for home use and another for portable use), so I try as much as possible to buy cans that can function well in either environment. 
 
The sad thing is that since I'd gotten accustomed to the sound of my K242s, I'm reluctant to use my old pair of clip-ons (not exactly a night and day difference kind of scenario, but pretty damn close). I got a few funny looks the first few times I took them out, but I guess everyone got used to them after a while. Let's face it, Beats aren't exactly the most portable cans available on the market right now, but that doesn't stop people from toting them around to show off. 
 
Actually, I remember this one time a guy with Beats Studios called me out and asked to try on my headphones. We used his PMP to try out the both of them, so naturally my cans were a bit under-juiced. Even after maxing out the volume, the sound was hardly enough for him (though the volume was already at a pretty extreme level for me), so he instantly thought that my cans were carp ("a" & "r" intentionally interchanged). After I took the trouble of explaining that my cans had a higher impedance than his, and what that meant, he agreed that they sounded pretty much on par, when listening to them at similar volume levels. He's pretty much a hard core basshead, so that mild statement was enough for me to consider it my win, since my AKGs are mid-centric and all. 
 
My victory was sealed when he found out how much my cans cost. The look on his face was priceless, and he started muttering about how he was ripped off (I paid 12,000PHP for my K242s, which is the full MSRP, while he got his Beats for 22,000PHP, also MSRP). 
 
... I kinda feel sorry for the dude, though XD
 
Apr 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #4,244 of 6,432

macrocheesium

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Posts
1,563
Likes
35

 
Quote:
 
Hmm, I personally don't mind taking out my full-sized cans to school, provided I avoid using public transport. It's just that I can't really afford to have two separate pairs of headphones (e.g. one for home use and another for portable use), so I try as much as possible to buy cans that can function well in either environment. 
 



My main reasoning is that I simply don't pay as much attention to detail when I'm away from home. I mean, when you're walking down the street are you really trying to pick out every detail of the sound, or just enjoy your music? As long as the sound is clean and has a signature I enjoy, I couldn't care less about all that other stuff and IEMs suffice just fine. Not to mention the annoyance of portable amps... 
 
Apr 2, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #4,245 of 6,432

DefQon

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Posts
7,068
Likes
144


Quote:
Your mum's lucky to have you :))

Still, aren't custom moulds overkill? I mean, I get that she'd probably appreciate them a lot, but in terms of pure SQ, universal IEMs are usually better than customs, when comparing from within the same price range. At least, that's my take on it.
rolleyes.gif



I'm just a generous person. Even since I got the LCD2's the ground rule has gone that if my mum likes something, I can get her one and it gives me a reason to get one for myself as well. :)
 
I think for people with high expectations with isolation, custom's is where it's at where no universal IEM can isolate better then a CIEM. Also I'm not to sure about universal's being better then CIEM's in terms of the same price group, from Joker's review, the IE8 which costs about $290-350 at most retailer's will not be better then say a 1964-T triple driver CIEM. But each to there own.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top