Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 28, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #4,126 of 6,432
I showcased my set up on instagram and got a few likes. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #4,127 of 6,432

Hide those D5000's. Now. And make sure it's under lock and key.

well she didnt take my denons regardless of lack of lock and key, and my grado's are safe and sound at my house again.

However funnily she said to me: "they didnt sound as good at mine, not like when i was listening to your version of the music..."

-looks at desk and discovers an open computer case with no HDD and my amp is missing-

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF 

^ this didnt happen. but god if it did id laugh so very much

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #4,128 of 6,432
A few days ago I let my ladyfriend (it's complicated, hehe) try out my HD-25-II. At first she couldn't figure out which side was which and I just told that the cable goes on the right side. Then she asked me what music should be the best to try them out and I just told her to try something dynamic. So she fired up Headstrong and Heartfoolish by Drumcorps (Aaron Spectre), we both enjoy mr. Spectre very much. At first she skipped a bit on the quiet parts and then all I could see were those involuntary smiles and smirks. Then she took the headphones off and just asked how is it possible that these sound so good. Currently she's using Senn CX300-II which I recommended before I took the plunge into this madness- not too stellar but one could do much worse. I told her to get the Sure SE215 or something from the new Philips Uptown/Downtown line when that gets released. She's a bit disappointed about the isolation in the CX300-II so SE215 should work great, I'm a bit concerned about the cable plugs on them, many mixed opinions on these. I hope that the new Philipses turn out great.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #4,129 of 6,432
Yesterday I bought a pair of Beyerdynamics DT-880 Pro 250 Ohm, plugged it in straight in my Xonar STX Soundcard and I absolutely love the sound.
Afterwards, a friend came by to my room, he noticed the Beyers and tried them on. I put a track that he knows (The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die in lossless) and when the song finally kicks in, his eyes opened wide and he started smiling.
Afterwards, he said that he was like in a room surrounded by music, he was genuinely impressed. He finally admits that the Beats are only just for fashion and  that they don't sound good.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4,130 of 6,432
well i finally made it to the end here... i feel like i need a gold star or a cookie or some scheisse like that... or a nap... 

currently listening to the sr325is (w/ G-cush) with my iBasso D-zero and netbook (not at home right myah)... fiance asks to listen to a song so i do hand 'em over... her dad walks by, grimaces (im assuming at the fact that they are wicked open), leaves, comes back with some senns... thoroughly impressed... turn out to be HD419... then i put them on for a quick listen (havent heard much senn)... quickly went back to the grados... 
gs1000.gif

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #4,131 of 6,432

Quote:
well i finally made it to the end here... i feel like i need a gold star or a cookie or some scheisse like that... or a nap... 

currently listening to the sr325is (w/ G-cush) with my iBasso D-zero and netbook (not at home right myah)... fiance asks to listen to a song so i do hand 'em over... her dad walks by, grimaces (im assuming at the fact that they are wicked open), leaves, comes back with some senns... thoroughly impressed... turn out to be HD419... then i put them on for a quick listen (havent heard much senn)... quickly went back to the grados... 
gs1000.gif

Try a high end Sennheiser.  It'll make you grimace every time you put Grados on.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #4,132 of 6,432
hahaha ive tried the 650s out once or twice but not long enough to appreciate them and it was a while ago... funny this shoulda happened though b/c im actually looking to find me a set of them...

on a side note... i finally found a use for those apple ibuds

f-ck-it-0.jpg

Chive On!!

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #4,133 of 6,432

Quote:
hahaha ive tried the 650s out once or twice but not long enough to appreciate them and it was a while ago... funny this shoulda happened though b/c im actually looking to find me a set of them...

on a side note... i finally found a use for those apple ibuds

f-ck-it-0.jpg

Chive On!!

Lol, those wires are pretty durable!

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #4,134 of 6,432
Feb 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4,135 of 6,432
I feel like I should mention this with the Apple iBud picture right there.  I just plugged mine into my Violectric V200 being fed from a Benchmark Dac1 USB and the iBuds sounded really good.  I'm not very picky about audio and am more focused on the music but I'm still shocked at how good the iBuds can sound.

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4,140 of 6,432
I'd love to get into the summit-fi stuff but being a student, I feel extremely fortunate for my current rig. In some ways, I consider head-fi and music distinct hobbies that compliment each other. Head-fi is for the tinkerer in me, unlike music. I'd agree head-fi for head-fi's sake would be highly questionable, but my interest in it isn't completely intertwined with my love of music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back