Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #4,156 of 6,432

Quote:
She needs open headphones :frowning2: And I'm just happy she could pick out the difference between crappy earbuds and some good headphones.

And that's what most highschool students are like (sept the lucky few of us like me and my newly liberated girlfriend), a few people walk into school with Solos and everyone is like "Yo nice headphones! Let me try them out! Those are the best headphones in the world". I laugh my ass off inside everytime I hear that = )

Also, I dont realy understand your tl;dr o.o I didnt see Solos mentioned in my post or yours xD

Oh no I was referring to someone in my history class. As attractive as an...Attractive girl is, Beats just ruin it now. Now if it were Crossfade LP's or M80's...
cool.gif

Anyways, back on topic. Good news is that my friend is very much enjoying the Grados, as an improvement over Apple Earbuds.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #4,157 of 6,432

Quote:
Nope. Hers used 40mm drivers and was 20-20k. Same company, different model xD

Aweh, still, great story! 

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #4,158 of 6,432
This is a great story. Unfortunately, most people I know couldn't care less about anything other than the white apple earbuds or Beats. However, my best friend is with me on the trek into audiophilia. Up until he bought a pair of Grado Sr225i's, no one else I know had even heard of that company.

I'm slowly showing my girlfriend how to listen to music/sound in general a little more analytically. I first showed her how to tell the difference between a low bit rate Youtube clip of a song and the same song from a CD (yes, she didn't really notice until I pointed it out). She's picked up on soundstage pretty quickly, but she still has yet to understand why we spend so much money on our gear.
frown.gif
I'm having a harder time with the dynamic compression, but I figure a comparison between a dolby digital stereo file and a LPCM stream should do the trick?
biggrin.gif

My girlfriend keeps telling me that I've ruined music for her (on her rig). Does that mean it's working?
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Here's a heart-warming audio story.

Maybe about 2, 3, maybe even 4 months ago I had this friend of mine who was really into music, she was realy close with me, almost like brother and sister. Anyway, everyday she'd listen to her favourite songs through some earbuds bought from Walmart that she didnt know the name of. I tried them, they were uninteresting at the very best. I let her try my MDR-V6s and she really started to love her music a lot more (yes I know V6s arent audiophile-grade, but they're pretty good), she'd listen to them a few times, and was starting to slowly warm up to the idea of switching from earbuds to headphones; that one major transition.

Anyway, things were starting to get a little difficult for her, and we started to get to become really really close friends, and I found myself hanging out with her afterschool a whole hell of a lot, of course with my V6s being present; their sound signature was not absent from the room.

So a few weeks later, she shows up with headphones. Exactly what I was waiting for; I tried em instantly, they were some "Onn" headphones from somewhere, they had a weird sound signature; lower-mids were emphasized with lower-highs... Sounded kinda awkward at times, and was uncomfortable for my larger head, but hers fit in just fine. Anyways, she really was enjoying her music a lot more now.

So to turn a very long story short; I turned my friend from an crappy-earbud girl to being my girlfriend who loves headphones :) Conversion succesful!

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4,159 of 6,432

Quote:

Oh no I was referring to someone in my history class. As attractive as an...Attractive girl is, Beats just ruin it now. Now if it were Crossfade LP's or M80's...
cool.gif

Anyways, back on topic. Good news is that my friend is very much enjoying the Grados, as an improvement over Apple Earbuds.

Time for you to show her a thing or two?
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #4,160 of 6,432
Yes it's working :D aha, clearly you and your girl are a little further up the mountain than mine, she's still trying to pick out the general bass, mids, and high frequencies along with the differences between 128 kbps and 320 kbps, and the differentiating sound signatures between my Sennheiser CX250s, my Sony MDR-V6s, her Onn ones, her random walmart ones, and iBuds. Showing improvement; once she can differentiate the CX250s and MDR-V6s, then she'll definetely deserve a prize :wink:

Errr kinda veered off topic =S Either way, glad to see I'm not alone in this "lets see how we can get our girlfriends to understand our sickness... I mean passion--- for audio"
Quote:

I'm slowly showing my girlfriend how to listen to music/sound in general a little more analytically. I first showed her how to tell the difference between a low bit rate Youtube clip of a song and the same song from a CD (yes, she didn't really notice until I pointed it out). She's picked up on soundstage pretty quickly, but she still has yet to understand why we spend so much money on our gear.
frown.gif
I'm having a harder time with the dynamic compression, but I figure a comparison between a dolby digital stereo file and a LPCM stream should do the trick?
biggrin.gif

My girlfriend keeps telling me that I've ruined music for her (on her rig). Does that mean it's working?
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #4,161 of 6,432
To be completely honest, I still have trouble discerning between a well encoded 128kbps song and a 320kbps song. It also depends on the gear though...

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #4,162 of 6,432
You have a point; but when I'm listening to any Coldplay song (which I am 90% of the time I'm listening to music) through my V6s, I have no problem identifying which is 128 kpbs and which is 320kpbs. It could also be because I more or less have every part of the songs memorized... All 100+ of them... Gosh I love Coldplay... ~_~

Quote:
To be completely honest, I still have trouble discerning between a well encoded 128kbps song and a 320kbps song. It also depends on the gear though...

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #4,163 of 6,432
So uhh, i guess this story fits here, a bit. It fits in head-fi at least. Went to bestbuy today because i had to kill some time, tried out the beats solo that was on display because i was charging my phone(don't tell them i stole their electricity) and i swear, every time i listen to them they sound worse and worse, the most muffled bloated and muddy headphones ive heard, Skullcandy ink'd probably sound better. Walking around i got to their Magnolia home audio section, surprisingly there were a pair of Turbine pros, pearls, and Trumpets. The display said to ask an employee if i wanted to demo them, so naturally i did. He let me demo them(i used my tips but they had like 100 bagged tips there) at the end of demoing them(kinda awkward standing there demoing earphones with an employee standing there staring at you) Gave them back to him and he surprisingly asked me if i heard i difference between them(guess he was looking for reaction to put in this thread :D ) i think i said something along the lines of "of course" then i realized i better explain i was an audiophile, so i did and he seemed excited by it. Surprised again i tested him by mentioning that there were some good phones here and not just Beats, and than he went off agreeing with me and we talked about how bad beats were for a second. We went on and talked about the Martin Logan Electrostats in the room next to us. He seemed to be interested in audiophilia(Wha? a bestbuy employee?) and was able to appreciate good sound but he didn't know what Stax were when i mentioned listening to the 009's. He told me his friend was into the sort of thing and worked at Magnolia audio building close by and that i should check it out.
Sorry for the long winded cool story bro and my horrible story telling skills. Hope someone found this semi-interesting.
Edit: forgot to mention that he gave me the a pair of tips and offered me a few of them if i wanted. So moral of the story is, go to bestbuy to hear the Turbines and get free tips. Although the only tips they had at the time were made for the Trumpets, which have a huge barrel so they don't fit on my IEM's. But they should have so that fit the Turbines at your bestbuy.
Edit 2: Magnolia Audio seems to carry the HD800 for demoing at a location 50 minutes away. Now im just waiting for an excuse to go, think they will let me bring my computer set-up with its DAC to hear the HD800, hehe, crazy audiophiles.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #4,164 of 6,432
My friend who just bought a pair of shures after upgrading from his skullcandies, heard my friends new skullcandies, he commented on how bad they were, I really think my OCD with hi-fi is rubbing off on people 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #4,169 of 6,432
I could sell $5 earbuds for $10,000 and say they sound "decent, but just overpriced." When you say something is "decent" it implies "decent for the price."

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #4,170 of 6,432

Quote:
"My bose are just as good"

I hate my friends

I got suckered into buying the Bose on-ears a while back, even convinced myself they sounded good for a little while.  Then I saw the HD555s were on sale at Amazon on Slickdeals and decided to give them a shot.  That quickly led to a Fiio e7, some AD-700s, and finally Ultrasone HFI-2400s.  The Boses sit in my desk drawer at work in case I forget to bring in the Ultrasones, though after listening to the 2400s since July I can't even stand to listen to the Boses now.

Actually had one of the guys in the office who goes to rock concerts all the time giving me a hard time about the Ultrasones a few days ago.  He uses a set of Creative bluetooth headphones and was pointing out how much more convenient it was to walk around and still hear music.  I know he likes it loud so I cranked them up a little and handed them to him, from the expression on his face I thought I was going to have a hard time taking them back.  He finally handed them back to me and just says "Those are nice.  Don't tell me what they are the wife would kill me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back