Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #3,962 of 6,432
I have a friend who is... maybe wrong with his hearing or something...

He used my k701, and he said "what's so good about them, it sounds like all other headphones"

My heart sank a bit lol... I don't know if he was trolling...

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3,963 of 6,432
As I said a while back on this thread, I think there are some people who simply don't have the physical hearing sensitivity to appreciate much more than $50 headphones. It's sad, yes, but true. I don't know what more to say other than that.

I've encountered people whose impressions ranged from "um okay those sound good I guess" to "wow those sound really good" to "WHOA I SOUND LIKE IM AT A CONCERT THIS IS AMAZING!!! I WANT THESE"

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #3,964 of 6,432
Two of my friends demoed my Ultrasone HFI-580 and they both said that they have almost no bass.
One of them has Beats Pros and the other has V-Moda LP's.
When they said that, I was like 
confused_face_2.gif

Later, my other friend who has Sony MDR-V6's tried it and was like 
L3000.gif

You meet all sorts of people in high school.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3,965 of 6,432

Quote:
hahaha. I wonder how that will work when your amp is a FiiO who's products like the E10 have been attacking amps and products of similar workings twice their price. I have heard a audio insider (contributer) prefer the E10 to the Audnist MX1 and many other amps twice the E10's price. i wonder how that will be with the E17...could it dare to attack the ibasso DB2? only time will tell :D

I have the e9 + e17 setup right now along with the dt990/600, k702 and various others. While i don't have any other amps besides a PA2V2 to compare with, i will say i absolutely love how they sound on my dt990 and k702. I usually flip a coin to decide which one to listen to just cause i love them both so much. =)

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #3,966 of 6,432

Quote:
Two of my friends demoed my Ultrasone HFI-580 and they both said that they have almost no bass.
confused_face_2.gif

L3000.gif

Maybe they weren't getting a good enough seal? I know on mine that I don't get the amount of bass that everyone says until I press the cups onto my ears. Then again, I do have a tiny head (Usually 1 click on the headband).

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #3,967 of 6,432

Quote:
hahaha. I wonder how that will work when your amp is a FiiO who's products like the E10 have been attacking amps and products of similar workings twice their price. I have heard a audio insider (contributer) prefer the E10 to the Audnist MX1 and many other amps twice the E10's price. i wonder how that will be with the E17...could it dare to attack the ibasso DB2? only time will tell :D

How do you think the E17+E9 compare to Schiit LYR + Schiit Bifrost for example.

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #3,968 of 6,432
I know i bore my mate with some of this stuff at times, but he tried my Gr-07s and he was impressed by the clarity. 

Very proud of that same mate when his brother mentioned he lost his apple earbuds and he straight away jumped in with "get some earphones, you get used to them but they sound so much better"
He understood my need to stay out of that conversation hahaha. His brother (and most people) give me a weird look when I tell them the price of my gear (and it's all uni budget cheap!)

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3,969 of 6,432

Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

L3000.gif

im suprised the Vmoda user didn't like the HFI 580. I guess he really liked the super almost non audiophile bass (from what i've heard) of the LP's which are probabaly (seem to be) closer to the XB sony series i guess :/

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3,970 of 6,432

Quote:

im suprised the Vmoda user didn't like the HFI 580. I guess he really liked the super almost non audiophile bass (from what i've heard) of the LP's which are probabaly (seem to be) closer to the XB sony series i guess :/

The HFI-580 are focusing on a snappy/tacticle punchy bass but rolls off in the subbass area so I'm guessing it's the less "full-bodied" and snappier bass response of the HFI-580 that they don't like. I wouldn't call the HFI-580 a subbass monster though but has plenty of midbass.

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #3,971 of 6,432

Quote:
The HFI-580 are focusing on a snappy/tacticle punchy bass but rolls off in the subbass area so I'm guessing it's the less "full-bodied" and snappier bass response of the HFI-580 that they don't like. I wouldn't call the HFI-580 a subbass monster though but has plenty of midbass.

the freq responce of them are pretty normal(about the same) compared to other bassy headphones but i would like to agree. Dubstep and Skrillex doesn't exactly go bwub bwub bwub bwub bwub on them. EQ'ing definatley helps this. And as some and myself have noted after EQ'ing. Done right and with the right mainstream or even non mainstream hip hop and rap songs. And these things can get to XB500 levels(or approach).

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #3,973 of 6,432

Quote:
Skrillex is a really poor bass test point.

Just sayin'.
biggrin.gif

haha, that's what i told my cousin. there are some song's in it that i know are supposed to have more subbass then what my headphone's produce. I told my cousin who said "be prepared, Skrillex has a lot a bass" that after testing. it doesn't. I was just using Skrillex as a example....as he's the only dubstep person most people know. And this thread is popular to consumer lurkers.

I have yet to find a super bass song though(no..not by nickin minaji. that song has very little bass) some song's that have some good bass are a milli by lil wayne, smack that by akon, and i wanna....*.... you by akon ft snoop dog. the only problem i have with the last two is my copy of teh CD rips i have. the bass has many many problems. many times i can tell if it's user caused or mastering caused. Thhis one i couldn't tell. the bass when EQ'd hits strong, but then it happens. there are times when i't hitting along and then the bass just flips.like it just flops down for one beat. like just flattens. it happens every single time at the same parts even at low volume. meaning it is in the copy i have of those two songs. meaning it's iether user caused or just in there :/ don't know. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #3,975 of 6,432

Quote:
Look up "Suliman" from the album "Vicious Delicious" by Infected Mushroom. Sounds great on my T1 
beyersmile.png

will do when i get home my man. Can you elaborate on what the T1 is? How much bass would you say it has. I have a consumer ear to bass sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back