Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #3,916 of 6,432
hehe... let some of my friends try my proper sounding P5's (because I know that for some reason many of them don't sound until modded) and they were blown away even when hearing regular music files (mp3) when I showed them how they sounded with a flac cd rip they could only say that those were the best headphones they've ever heard. Glad to show them the way to audiophility 

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #3,917 of 6,432

Quote:
hehe... let some of my friends try my proper sounding P5's (because I know that for some reason many of them don't sound until modded) and they were blown away even when hearing regular music files (mp3) when I showed them how they sounded with a flac cd rip they could only say that those were the best headphones they've ever heard. Glad to show them the way to audiophility 

"normal" music is lossy? Didn't know that. 
beyersmile.png

(My whole library is 320kbps MP3's)

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #3,918 of 6,432
I find that many times, some more noticeable than others the sound you can get from an mp3 file is not detailed or extense enough, especially when the songs being heard involve lots of treble or high freqs

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #3,920 of 6,432

Your entire library is lossy then. I don't think it matters depending on genre (I'm fine buying 256 AAC from iTunes for EDM if forced to...like with gift cards), but there's an audible difference for most around here between Lossless and 320. I can easily pick it with class rock or classical.

Quote:
"normal" music is lossy? Didn't know that. 
beyersmile.png

(My whole library is 320kbps MP3's)

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #3,922 of 6,432
I recently let someone try my HD650s and I practically had to tear them away from them when it was time to go. Reaction was "Whoa............" followed by several minutes of grinning, and comments like "It sounds like the music is all around me!" "These are so much better than even my speakers, how is that possible!?!"

It will be very interesting to see people's reactions to my HD800s when they arrive, and once I find (or save up for) a good amp for them.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #3,923 of 6,432

Quote:
I dont know if you guys have noticed... but non-audiophiles tend to LOVE BRIGHT SOUND! I have a friend who has a pair of Bose QC3s and they are horrendously bright and harsh.. and he says they sound better than my AKG K242s (which when burnt in, are somewhat warm) .. i know it sounds funny :) Then, I had another friend try my K701 (they sound excellent, but they are not burnt it and bright). He went CRAZY.. when I told him they cost almost less than his Beats studio.. he couldnt believe it!

Wrong in my opinion 
smile.gif

Example ~ almost all the flagships whether it be the Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Ultrasone Edition 10 - (ok, Audeze are on their own)
 are orientated towards a sense of brightness overall ~ they're not warm, fuzzy forgiving headphones.

Add any of the top tier Audio Technica's too ~ W1000X, W3000ANV ~ not treble shy in the slightest,

Other end of the spectrum?

Fiio Gear ~ warm, warm, warm. Why? It suits most poorly recorded material through average sourcing.

Up a notch in the mass consumer scale ~ Nuforce with the HDP and uDac2.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #3,924 of 6,432
Quote:
I dont know if you guys have noticed... but non-audiophiles tend to LOVE BRIGHT SOUND! I have a friend who has a pair of Bose QC3s and they are horrendously bright and harsh.. and he says they sound better than my AKG K242s (which when burnt in, are somewhat warm) .. i know it sounds funny :) Then, I had another friend try my K701 (they sound excellent, but they are not burnt it and bright). He went CRAZY.. when I told him they cost almost less than his Beats studio.. he couldnt believe it!

Wrong in my opinion 
smile.gif

Example ~ almost all the flagships whether it be the Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Ultrasone Edition 10 - (ok, Audeze are on their own)
 are orientated towards a sense of brightness overall ~ they're not warm, fuzzy forgiving headphones.

Add any of the top tier Audio Technica's too ~ W1000X, W3000ANV ~ not treble shy in the slightest,

Other end of the spectrum?

Fiio Gear ~ warm, warm, warm. Why? It suits most poorly recorded material through average sourcing.

Up a notch in the mass consumer scale ~ Nuforce with the HDP and uDac2.

Agreed mostly, now finally moving away from fiios with my newly acquired violectrics, I must say that a nicer amp would be mostly appreciated by any headphones. The difference is very audible and very worthwhile. I would say, in the e7 + e9 setup, the biggest downside is the dac in the e7 and I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone with that setup to upgrade their dac first before going into the realm of better amp and a different headphone.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #3,925 of 6,432
rolleyes.gif
, I have a friend who absolutely refuses to listen to anything I have for fear he may get addicted to good sound, unfortunately, his girlfriend got addicted first.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3,928 of 6,432
It only took me 3 weeks to finally finish reading this thread. I have been lurking around here for a couple months, and bought Sennheiser HD448s for myself for Christmas for $50.

Anyways me and my friends were driving in a car, and one said his Bose headphones broke and now he only has crappy $15 headphones. I was about to listen to my headphones, but since he started talking, I had them around my neck and he noticed them. After he asked about them, I let him listen to them, and he was using them for about 30 minutes. It made me very happy when he said they sounded very detailed and good, but lack bass. He said he wanted to spend $80 on headphones, and said he heard about Grados, which made me even happier.

He said he wanted headphones that have a little more bass, that are circumaural and closed, and good for rap and rock. I gave him suggestions like the ZX700, MDR-V6, and Numark PHX Pro. I also suggested he go to Bestbuy to demo the ZX700 and anything else there is there. Hopefully I have converted my friend.

Unfortunately after this, the one girl in the car said Beats are overpriced, but Bose has the best headphones.
mad.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #3,929 of 6,432
My first pair of cans that are worth mentioning were the HD600's.  I was running it off hte front panel of an Audigy 2 ZS.  Then I converted to the Entech 203.2 and the Pimeta amp.  My family didn't really understand my music setup--still doesnt' (and now that I'm married my wife doesn't get it either).   the person who understood was my grandmother, she put them on said they sounded super amazing, and for the next weeks she was visiting I found her in my chair listening the HD600's.  

She was pretty upset when I sold them for the K701's.  I didn't dare mention another pair!  :D

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #3,930 of 6,432

Quote:
My first pair of cans that are worth mentioning were the HD600's.  I was running it off hte front panel of an Audigy 2 ZS.  Then I converted to the Entech 203.2 and the Pimeta amp.  My family didn't really understand my music setup--still doesnt' (and now that I'm married my wife doesn't get it either).   the person who understood was my grandmother, she put them on said they sounded super amazing, and for the next weeks she was visiting I found her in my chair listening the HD600's.  

She was pretty upset when I sold them for the K701's.  I didn't dare mention another pair!  :D

That's awesome.  My grandmother is a bit hard of hearing so I can't imagine her having the same response. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back