Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 19, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #3,541 of 6,432
Er, is it weird that at nearly 40, and as someone who has trouble hearing conversations in loud situations, that I could hear up to and including the 22kHz tone at a pretty low volume?

Again, you probably aren't hearing 22khz, but artifacts from your equipment trying to play that. Like negative harmonic distortion.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #3,542 of 6,432

Quote:
Er, is it weird that at nearly 40, and as someone who has trouble hearing conversations in loud situations, that I could hear up to and including the 22kHz tone at a pretty low volume?

I'm not sure really, it could be a brain issue. Unfortunately sound routes like anything else and there are a lot of weird things that can go wrong(or extra right
gs1000.gif
) on the way there.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #3,543 of 6,432
Again, you probably aren't hearing 22khz, but artifacts from your equipment trying to play that. Like negative harmonic distortion.

I wondered the same, but with multiple pairs of headphones, even 19kHz still sound like a tone. Above that things get a little...mosquito-ey, or TV on somewhere in the house. Either way, I'm glad years of being in a thrash metal band haven't totally destroyed my hearing (much as my wife may disagree).

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3,544 of 6,432
i actually got the 555's one and i bring them at school and i count in total 14 ppl that have beats.

A day at shcool, when i was doing the stup of the sound stuff for dinner activities, a guys come to me whit his studio beats and said: If you want quality, buy by Beats by dre.

i actually tell him that they were bad and i make him try mine and he said (like all those beats guys) they don't have bass enought and there are not clear as mine. Yeah because i don't spend 300$+ on headphone i'm gonna be a reject AND they are actually more clear then Beats.. -.-"

And  i lol'ed after this :D

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #3,545 of 6,432
I will never understand Beats owners saying other stuff is less clear, since while I don't think they sound offensive, if they knew a lick about how stuff actually sounds (like going to concerts), there'd be an indisputable difference. I know it's just a defense mechanism, but the first thing any HF'er should ask someone that's continually (continually is the key word) dissing their stuff is, "Oh, you saw them live? How was it?"

This thread moves way too fast for me to catch up and I'll reply to what I was going to reply to. The Headphonius Supremus title is simply awarded after the 1500th post, no special process. Those are custom titles. The title doesn't mean much. A lot of respected people don't post much. WertherDVX doesn't have a high post count iirc and he has more headphones than I have skin cells.

In the ortho thread there's a ton of information about damping and manipulating waves and stuff. Really cool.

This kid on my bus forgot his headphones at home and I happened to have both my Image Ones and T15's so I let him borrow the Klipsches and he seemed to have a fun time with them. It was pretty cool.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #3,546 of 6,432
Went to a family house party and brought my HFI 580's. One of my cousin notices me listening to music and is like "Hey dude lemme try those out!" So he puts em on and starts blasting his techno (good thing they don't leak that much) and within minutes he's having his own little party in his head and he's dancing for the next 10 minutes. Turns off his music and takes off the 580's and is like "I couldn't hear anything dude those are sweet!" and my little cousin then asks "Are those better than the Beats?". The older cousin "YEA MAN! These are so much higher definition than those and they still bring out the bass in my songs!"

I'm happy family members know what sounds good and what doesn't :)

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #3,547 of 6,432

Quote:
Went to a family house party and brought my HFI 580's. One of my cousin notices me listening to music and is like "Hey dude lemme try those out!" So he puts em on and starts blasting his techno (good thing they don't leak that much) and within minutes he's having his own little party in his head and he's dancing for the next 10 minutes. Turns off his music and takes off the 580's and is like "I couldn't hear anything dude those are sweet!" and my little cousin then asks "Are those better than the Beats?". The older cousin "YEA MAN! These are so much higher definition than those and they still bring out the bass in my songs!"

bigsmile_face.gif
I'm not sure anyone in my family would know....let alone care. Maybe one of my sisters but that's it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #3,548 of 6,432

Its funny how a lot of the time most people just talk about how well the headphones isolate, you managed to get a little farther but most of my reactions are about isolation and soundstage.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #3,549 of 6,432

Quote:
......yeah. like..really? not only are iPhones the same price and less than android ones.....it's faster than most android devices. becaause android uses DVM, which can not take full advantage of cpu and gpu.
the 800MHz A5 in the 4S clocks 145Mflops in linpack, the Galaxy S 2 and Razr both packed 70Mflops....
The iphone's GPU compared to other is like comparing a beetle to a ferrari. 3X speed increase form Galaxy S2 and an overal average of 8X faster than most 1 year old android devices
For web browser natively, the 4S clocks 2190ms, the Razr clocks 2100ms, the Galaxy S2 about 3400ms in Sunspider
For Browsermark the 4S clocks in at 89,567 points, Galaxy S2 @ 55,144 points and Razr @ 79,000 points

So the 4S is faster than anything. it has functionality
read this
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/07/former_google_intern_explains_why_ui_lag_occurs_more_often_in_android_than_ios.html
you will know see that android is a half baked OS never meant to do anything it does right now. and that's why it uses DVM instead of JVM

90% of app revenue from mobile devices come not only form iOS, with android taking only 6%. AND iOS is easier to write code for since all the devices are the same.
the 4S also has a Cirrus Logic Chip for audio

And other than the Rezound, nothing packs more pixel density. and the rezound uses qHD technology. qHD and HTC screen colors are horrendous when compared to the Galaxy's and 4S's
Screens by rank: 1st:Galaxy S2    2nd:4S    3rd:many many many ties

and it has a new camera. DSLR inspired IR filter and backlighted CMOS sensor. 

For Audiophilies:
Cirrus Logic chip
Solid State Storage; super fast samsung memory
Supports AIFF and ALAC
15mW amplification
the iPOD interface everyone likes
Can be used with LOD's

Why NOT buy an Apple Product?

isnt wolfsdon better then cirrus?

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #3,550 of 6,432
"Why NOT buy an Apple Product"
Because apple = the apple way, or not all !

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #3,552 of 6,432

Quote:
isnt wolfsdon better then cirrus?

Yes it is. Apple started phasing out Wolfson in 2007. They are all Cirrus Logic's now. 

Quote:
"Why NOT buy an Apple Product"
Because apple = the apple way, or not all !

hahah lolz, i have a lot of Apple products *continued below

Quote:
Eh, I have an Apple laptop and a windows PC. Works great for me.

*But i also have a lot of windows and open source things, I love them all equally. each has it's own purpose. it just so happens to be that my Mac just works. Music sounds great stock out of it. The LED monitor has really good colors and are really sharp. soemthing i had to pay $300 for on my desktop. 

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #3,553 of 6,432
Apple laptops are completely worth the money. Apple desktops are NOT. My desktop windows build is made entirely of the highest quality components money can buy, and to get an Apple desktop approaching my specs you'd have to pay probably upwards of $10,000, whereas I paid maybe $2000 total over several years of upgrading.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #3,554 of 6,432

Quote:
Apple laptops are completely worth the money. Apple desktops are NOT. My desktop windows build is made entirely of the highest quality components money can buy, and to get an Apple desktop approaching my specs you'd have to pay probably upwards of $10,000, whereas I paid maybe $2000 total over several years of upgrading.

Hmmm. the iMac and Mac mini are very feasible for the office worker. They are actually very cheap ..as in windows cheap if you look at the specs. the Mac Pro is the only "REAL" Mac desktop. nobody buys those anyways :)

The high quality DAC/amp and screen in the mac that comes standard would cost me $400+ to put in a computer :frowning2: my monitor costed $300 and has about the same colors as the Mac. The LED's on the mac makes some colors look more alike though. and to get a good DAC and amp...would cost me another $100+ the Mac's isn't the best but come on..it's pretty good. it's stock. add in the aluminum unibody, small less than 1" size, Super drive, super nice backlight keyboard. thunderbolt. magsafe connections. a really easy to use OS....and what don't we have?

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3,555 of 6,432
My NFB12 + my entire computer + my HD650 + high quality LED 27" monitor would still cost FAR less than just a mac pro without screen even coming close to my computer's specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back