Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Oct 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #2,656 of 6,432
That's so sad...I genuinely kind of feel bad...You should've told him to craigslist 'em and get some 500s or 700s. 

Matter of fact...the XB700 should be at my doorstep tomorrow. Not sure why I never bought them before as I love the XB series, but now I am a proud owner. May not be the clearest headphones ever, but they've got a fun sound to 'em.

Quote:
Not really a high end headphone but i let my friend listen to my XB500s amp'd by a cMoy, after a few second i saw no immediate reaction and by the time the song was over he was looking slightly sad. He didn't say much more than they were cool.
About a week later i saw him with beats. I asked him if he just got them figuring he liked mine so much, he said no he has had them for a few months, i asked them if he liked their sound and he responded with "i used to until i heard yours, now they kinda suck."
I now feel pretty bad for making him regret his hundred something dollar purchase

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #2,657 of 6,432
Yeah my Woodied grado's blow my mind when my mind is en route to being blown. If ya catch my drift.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2,658 of 6,432
Last week I let the director in my office tried shure SE215, well, the expresion is so damn good, his eyes just open so wide, saying "wow" for couple times and start to moving his body follow the music. Actually, the condition is: he has guest that wait to meet him, but he decided to let the guest wait him while he enjoy this iem :D

and after he stop the listening session, he said that his boy want to buy Dr. Dre IEM, and after I told him the price of Shure, he just making a call to his boy to change the route :D

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2,659 of 6,432
Every time that someone walk into my office they say,,, " do you collect them"?? do the worth anything?... Then after a while.... " what is that Little bulb on that aluminum box"....
Finlay... What are you saying about tubes??... are you insane... that's old technology...

Finlay the just put one headphone and..... the miracle happen....
The funniest thing ever " I am sorry to interrupt you, but, my phone is ringing and i need to escape.. can i wear one of your headphones...", sure thing... " ... Then... he never pick up the phone... ANYMORE!!!.... the had to change the phone and put one with a light on so he knew it was ringing!!..

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #2,660 of 6,432

Quote:
One of my favorite songs to just rock out to and show off to friends with. Crush is so high energy and I haven't met someone yet that doesn't just want to rock out with it between their ears. 

Yep yep! Watercolour is another good track, too. That is one of those few albums that comes along that is basically complete in every way, 100%, no loose ends..

Last album I heard that was as complete as that was Young Jeezy's Recession. One of the all time great rap albums.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #2,661 of 6,432
Rap isn't really my bag (beyond old school stuff like Public Enemy), but I can appreciate it.

Immersion is an amazing album though. I consider Genesis and Salt in the Wounds one track. Those first few tracks are just amazing, as is the rest of the album.

I often open sets with Gensis and Salt in the Wounds. Great way to get things going. 

Quote:
Yep yep! Watercolour is another good track, too. That is one of those few albums that comes along that is basically complete in every way, 100%, no loose ends..

Last album I heard that was as complete as that was Young Jeezy's Recession. One of the all time great rap albums.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #2,662 of 6,432
i let my friend listen to my speakers in my room and was so shock to hear the sound was 360 degrees and told me he can hear the hi-hat behind his left shoulder and the vocals perfectly centered and that it all came from just 2 speakers in stereo. then i let him try my 240DF's and he thought i forgot to turn my speakers off lol. surprise though cause he's just a big gamer geek and never had experience with pro audio gear before. now he asks if he can use my extra stereo gear i have laying around my house so i been hooking him up with stuff i don't use anymore.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #2,663 of 6,432
I like neo conscious hip hop for the emotion and actual good singing behind it a la Lupe Fiasco and a local KC artist thePhantom* (music.phantastic.me)
Plus, Tech N9Ne is from my town (KC) and he has so much loudness and energy behind his songs that I just can't get enough. Thank goodness my first listen of him was his latest album (10th or 11th in career) so I have plenty to catch up on :)

Quote:
Rap isn't really my bag (beyond old school stuff like Public Enemy), but I can appreciate it.

Immersion is an amazing album though. I consider Genesis and Salt in the Wounds one track. Those first few tracks are just amazing, as is the rest of the album.

I often open sets with Gensis and Salt in the Wounds. Great way to get things going. 

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #2,664 of 6,432

Quote:

Another very good conscious rap(per) is Kalib Tweli:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nLkvxJuHJE&feature=related(...lyrics...)

...I was actually astonished that he knows Voltaire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltaire - for those who don't know).

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #2,665 of 6,432
Agreed, Talib Kweli is a very talented, very smart rapper... Q-tip also has a new solo album out that is very clever and stays on the bookish side of things. 

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #2,666 of 6,432

Quote:
Agreed, Talib Kweli is a very talented, very smart rapper... Q-tip also has a new solo album out that is very clever and stays on the bookish side of things. 

Indeed, interesting. 
Just listened to some of his songs, not bad.
I will continue having an eye on him.
But his voice seems quite high-pitched, at least higher than Lupe's or Talib's.

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #2,668 of 6,432
My office rig currently is:

Win7 PC -> Audiophilleo 2 -> Metrum Octave -> WA6SE maxxed -> Edition 8s.

That may seem a bit overkill, but as a software engineer it gets at least 4-5 hours of daily use, sometimes in excess of 8.

I work in a mid size corporation that does medical inventory systems and infusion pumps, so it's a bit engineering-centric in a way.  Plenty of people have stopped by to ask about it.  The ones who have listened to it have been impressed and a couple have begun building entry level systems.  Some have refused to listen to it as they're worried they'll be 'corrupted' so to speak, lol.  

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2,670 of 6,432
Not if you listen at lower levels. 

Quote:
Is 8 hours not bad for your hearing?

Smartest of the bunch right there. They're the lucky ones.

Quote:
My office rig currently is:

Win7 PC -> Audiophilleo 2 -> Metrum Octave -> WA6SE maxxed -> Edition 8s.

That may seem a bit overkill, but as a software engineer it gets at least 4-5 hours of daily use, sometimes in excess of 8.

I work in a mid size corporation that does medical inventory systems and infusion pumps, so it's a bit engineering-centric in a way.  Plenty of people have stopped by to ask about it.  The ones who have listened to it have been impressed and a couple have begun building entry level systems.  Some have refused to listen to it as they're worried they'll be 'corrupted' so to speak, lol.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back