Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Aug 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2,551 of 6,432
I remember a while back I let one of my fraternity brothers try my HD650s, and he claimed they were noise canceling. He also commented on the cymbal decay.

I'm guessing he turned it up ridiculously loud because he's likely deaf because he drives around in his Ford Explorer with his subs cranked to unbearable levels. It's excruciatingly painful to ride with him. I did it once and had to cover my ears the whole time. Never again.

Other than that, people like the HD650 bass, and some people don't care at all, but I expect that. I haven't let people try my other cans.

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #2,552 of 6,432

Quote:
So far everyone who's tried my new DT1350's have been fairly blown away but then they ask how much they're not quite so excited :p

Yeah, many are not willing to pay the price but I feel the same way about clothes. Jeans over $40 is too expensive for me but I have a friend who will spend twice to 3x that on a pair.
I guess, to each his own.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #2,553 of 6,432
Some classmate I know tried to troll me. He said, "You spend more time looking at headphones than hearing them. What kind of hobby is this lololol,"

This genius, is a 15 year-old car enthusiast.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #2,554 of 6,432
Music lovers tend to think it's funny that I have so many pairs of headphones, but do appreciate the high quality of the audio. But then it's all in a studio context where I've got quite a lot of gear in use anyway, so they aren't out of place, a seemingly random hunk of eye-raising technology hooked up to far more expensive headphones than most people encounter day to day.

Sound quality comes across nicely regardless. Since I've got a decent representation of different brands, my pick of the "affordable" hi-fidelity litter (illusions can be disbursed by disbelief, and I disbelieve the accusatory mid-fi nonsense that gets lobbed at headphones that were high-fi five years ago
wink.gif
), it's possible should a guest have any desire at all to hear the differences to let 'em listen to a reasonably representative selection of audio qualities to look for in nice headphones.

I don't step on anyone's toes. I hate "that guy," I'm not going to be "that guy" ever again. I'm not going to slam somebody for buying Bose or Beats, because it's what they want to use. My posting history before my recent return shows a less mature person and kind of an *******. If advice is sought on listening equipment I'll offer my opinion, otherwise I mind my own business.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #2,555 of 6,432
A (a teenager) : It sounds better and it's more comfy than my Apple earbuds. Sound isolation's good.. you're muted. :p

B (a twelve year old) : It sounds the same and why on earth would you buy earphones costing more than $25???!!

C (an adult) : I can't hear the difference! 

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,557 of 6,432
i had 3 people try my LCD-2 (rev1).

my brother - his first reaction was a huge smile, then he said "the bass is amazing on these" (he has HD595)

friend "A" - "everything sounds so clear !" (he uses some Panasonic "DJ" headphones) [i've used a bassy mp3 @V2, so neither the encoding or the actual song was of the highest quality]
i almost forgot to add,  at one point "A" adjusted the volume on the HA-160D to at least 2 o'clock, i rarely get past 10.30, LOL. i don't know if he was trying to see if there's distortion at higher volumes or if he's just crazy :D

friend "B" - "guitar sounds so real !" and also commented on "how clear" the sound was (he's using creative aurvana)

i'll have to get my friends to listen to the LCD-2 again, this time only with well recorded albums in FLAC.

Good news :D :D :D, I lost a female friend of mine for about 2 hours (and possibly more if we didn't have to go out to have dinner after) after she tried the LCD-2s, she actually ended up requesting all my other headphones to compare with.

The other funny point, though I'm kind of worried about it, is that she listens 26 dB louder than my average listening volume (that's 20 dB louder than what what I consider reasonably loud). I think she may decide to be serious headphones soon.

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2,558 of 6,432
i let a coworker try out my office setup. he plugged it into his Mac and asked me if he can keep on listening to them. i said yeah and he listened to them pretty much until the end of the day. he said it's a bit pricey ($2,000), but also that it's amazing and that he's gonna look into it :)

btw, he has the Dr Dre Beats (he said himself that they're garbage).

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #2,559 of 6,432

Quote:
i let a coworker try out my office setup. he plugged it into his Mac and asked me if he can keep on listening to them. i said yeah and he listened to them pretty much until the end of the day. he said it's a bit pricey ($2,000), but also that it's amazing and that he's gonna look into it
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, he has the Dr Dre Beats (he said himself that they're garbage).

eek.gif
 That is quite the setup you have there. What do you have at home?!

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2,560 of 6,432
eek.gif
 That is quite the setup you have there. What do you have at home?!

i live in a very small apt right now, so i'm holding off buying a proper home setup right now because i don't have anywhere to put it. after i move to a bigger place, i'm planning on getting the LCD-2 + Lyr (with non-stock tubes) and use my X-Fi HD as a DAC.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,562 of 6,432
My brother in law listened to my T1's yesterday. I thought I'd play a track he'd know from back in the days, so I played Kanye West's All Falls Down. He was like "What the hell, pretty sure I don't remember it sounding like this. There's like different sounds and instruments playing from every direction. Is this a remix of the track? It sounds like a live version."  Suffice to say, I found it quite humorous. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2,563 of 6,432
Haha, what'd you tell him?

Quote:
My brother in law listened to my T1's yesterday. I thought I'd play a track he'd know from back in the days, so I played Kanye West's All Falls Down. He was like "What the hell, pretty sure I don't remember it sounding like this. There's like different sounds and instruments playing from every direction. Is this a remix of the track? It sounds like a live version."  Suffice to say, I found it quite humorous. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2,564 of 6,432

Quote:
Haha, what'd you tell him?

Told him it was just the normal version from the song, showed him the track list of the album as proof and then mentioned that's what a good pair of headphones and amp will do lol. Then he asked about the price and was less impressed lol. Well I say less impressed, but in reality his eyes just widened and he muttered "Dayuuummmmmm" which is funnier because he's actually quite posh and is very well spoken lol.

He then told me at some point he wanted to re-listen to all his fave albums on my gear one day. Naturally I said any time.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #2,565 of 6,432
Recently bought an E11. Everyone I knew kept asking why I connected my phone to my iPod.

I tried the usual explanation on powering headphones with extra juice and whatnot, after a week I got fed up and called the amp a "battery pack".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back