Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 13, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #2,536 of 6,432
So yea yesterday I let 2 classmates test my GR07s and they were really impressed with the sound, they went like "**** dude, this sounds really god **** good!".
After that I took another classmate of mine (who always said its ridiculous that I spend so much money on audio equipment) to my apartment and let him test my K701s from my iphone->E11 and after listening to it for about 10 minutes he said: "holy ****, this sounds siiiiiick, I'll have to get a pair of these too". :D :D :D

it's pretty funny seeing people's reactions

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2,537 of 6,432
Last week, I brought some woodied SR60s to work to let my coworker try out the Grado sound. When I gave it to him with my ipod, I had a playlist going, and I assumed that he'd eventually just scroll through and listen to whatever song he'd like. When he returned it three hours later, the same playlist was going so it looks like he just rode it out for three hours. He commented that the headphones were "ridiculous". 

It wasn't until the next morning, when we were in the breakroom getting coffee, that he really expressed how impressed he was. He said he went home that night, and downloaded one song that really caught his attention -- "Bloodbuzz Ohio" by The National -- and was seriously wondering if he'd made a mistake and downloaded the wrong song. He said it sounds like completely different music through his cheap headphones at home. I'm currently loaning him my K701 and HFI-580 for him to demo this week, as he researches a "good headphone" purchase. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #2,539 of 6,432
Not really about the sound quality, but..

Random people I meet along the street and at malls would always be "alienated" by the "floating headbands", the "grills" and the "telephone wires" of my K 141.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2,540 of 6,432
Long time lurker...first time posting. And don't worry, my wallet is already hurting. And getting ready for another beating!

When I got my M50's my friends asked how much they cost (as opposed to how do they sound!) and when I told them they said it wasn't bad but unanimously agreed they would never spend that much on headphones. Same reaction when I got my HD25's. They routinely buy expensive designer handbags/shoes/makeup/gaming gear/computer components so sticker shock isn't really much of a factor these days now that we're a bit older and have steady incomes.

A more promising experience: a little while after I got the HD25's I was in my car with 2 friends. One of them thought I was crazy for buying yet another pair of headphones (and yet she has multiple Gucci and LV bags among others!) but didn't really care that much. The other friend tried them on with my Ipod, unamped, and there was silence in the backseat for a good half hour. I would look in the rear view and his eyes looked totally zoned out and with the music. My friend and I tried to distract him by talking smack and laughing about it but of course, he couldn't hear any of it.
biggrin.gif

When he finally took them off he said, "Wow, I can hear...everything." He does have some Senn IEM's he picked up off woot (couldn't remember the model #) a few years ago that he never used, but after trying out the 25's he said he was going to go dig them up and use them. Hopefully his search for better sound continues!

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2,541 of 6,432
I've taken offense to a friend of mine criticizing my rig several times. I told her I couldn't hear an element in her recording, then she promptly informed me that my speakers must really suck / my ears must be going. HOW DARE SHE?!? **** basshead speakers and cheap mic.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #2,542 of 6,432
So last week another co-worker (girl) borrow my Audio-Technica SJ33. After several hours listening to them (I don't know what music she listened to), she VERY reluctantly returned to me. In fact, she's hold it tightly even when she returning it to me (you must see her face, its like a mom reluctantly give her newborn baby lol). Then she asked me how much it was and if she can buy it from me. Even now, she always asked me to sell it to her when she saw my SJ33. LOL

on sad part, another co-worker said my MEElectronic M6 sounded just the same as her earphone (the one which comes with her blackberry phone....). I'm sad....

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #2,543 of 6,432
Let people try my HD 598.

I asked one of the china girls to guess how much it costs, she said it was 20$

Another one said my open back headphone had good sound insulation...

Then someone asked if it was wireless.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #2,544 of 6,432
So sad

Quote:
Let people try my HD 598.

I asked one of the china girls to guess how much it costs, she said it was 20$

Another one said my open back headphone had good sound insulation...

Then someone asked if it was wireless.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #2,545 of 6,432
I played the virtual haircut for a friend the other day with the M50. His reaction was priceless! His eyes got super big, open mouthed, shaking his head from side to side, going "ahhhh!!" I told him to close his eyes too and he had to use his hands because he kept getting freaked out and opening them. It was pretty hilarious. I also had my HD25's which he tried but said he liked the virtual haircut better on the AT's which is understandable since the Senns have zero soundstage.

Another friend (his wife actually!) used the HD25's to listen to some Robyn and I had to laugh because the second she put them on she started bobbing around and dancing which is EXACTLY the same reaction I have when I put them on!

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2,546 of 6,432
Have you tried virtual haircut with IEMs? its much, much, better on IEMs than on headphones for me.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #2,547 of 6,432
Ooof, yesterday an acquaintenance of mine, a producer, visited and started talking about setting his new studio up. He mentioned how disgusted he was when he learned that his brother spent 80GBP on headphones. Fortunately I was sober and did not mention how much he would need to pay for a good pair of monitoring headphones.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2,548 of 6,432

Quote:
Hello all.
I haven't been here for a few days. I have been really busy hanging with my friend who arrived in town from Newfoundland (Traveled from the Atlantic to the Pacific). I brought my Shure SRH840 headphones with me and let him listen to them. He was actually the one who was bugging me to try them.
He said something along the lines of "you have been bragging about these headphones let me hear them". I let him listen to them. His response was priceless. He said they sounded amazing but he wouldn't pay more then $50 for them. He says and I agree with him that it probably cost no more then $25 to make. He then went to all of his family and had everyone try the headphones. Most people thought they were good but one person said they sounded very crackly and she thought anything more then $25 was unreasonable. The funny part was getting my friend to give me back my headphones. Man that was hard. He didn't want to let them go.

Anyways that was my recent experience.

There in lies a truth. I second this experience with a few friends that make this situation all the more confusing by having huge CD and MP3 collections.

I know one guy who would have over 500 original CD's, this is on top of his MP3 collection which would be over 25GB+ by now.
He once borrowed my SR80i's only to return them and say that he felt that they had exactly the same clarity as his broken
Sennheiser HD 201. No offence to the Senn-lovers out there but this thing is so beaten up that he uses a spare sock as an
earpad replacement. In my opinion, they sound terrible to my ears.

Anyway he mostly listens to his extensive collection through his ASUS 10'' notebook (standard on-board sound jack) through ibuds most of the time. Then he makes a point of trying to source 320kbps material over the common 128kbps rips commonly found.

On ibuds? Could anyone tell the difference with that tinny sound? I certainly cannot.

Here's the kicker - he is always asking if there is any chance of borrowing my amp and my AKG K601's. Hmmmm. And this guy earns a pretty penny to boot. Perplexing.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #2,549 of 6,432
[size=10pt]My buddy/ co-worker has my Miles Davis  for three weeks now, I am not sure that I am getting that one back. I actually do not mind, I like him and I am glad that he is enjoying them, since he wears them every time I see him [/size]

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #2,550 of 6,432
So far everyone who's tried my new DT1350's have been fairly blown away but then they ask how much they're not quite so excited :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back