Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 15, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #1,276 of 6,432

Quote:

Actually...no I won't start this here. And isn't reel to reel the way to go if you wanted amazing quality music?

And about the Titans dude, I really don't think they're terrible IEM's. Sure, not as good as your Shures, but they sound different too.  They have more midbass, which seems to be all the rage.

well i can't say i have never heard the titans.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,277 of 6,432

Quote:
reel to reel? What. And..What?

Although vinyl has a higher dynamic range, it adds a bit of pleasant coloration and doesn't measure amazingly well (for you graph geeks) That being said, I'd take vinyl over CD any day. I'm not educated enough in reel to reel to make any real statement though.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #1,278 of 6,432
you mean...."reel' statement right? okay okay...bad pun :p

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #1,279 of 6,432

Quote:
yep elfen lied is and always will be my favorite show.

Ehhh, the manga was better. The anime cut off far too early (the manga continues on for much, much more). (As for my two cents re: good anime: Kino no Tabi [Kino's Travels/Journeys, depending on your translator] has consistently been overall better than anything I've watched.) (Not to imply that Elfen Lied isn't good, though.)

@Format wars: Oh, you kids. .tta + .cue sheets, kthnx~

(Something like 80% of my library is in lossless .tta files + .cue sheets. Incidentally, 80% of my library is Touhou-related. The remaining 184GB isn't, though!)

-- Griffinhart

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #1,280 of 6,432
Quote:
Ehhh, the manga was better. The anime cut off far too early (the manga continues on for much, much more). (As for my two cents re: good anime: Kino no Tabi [Kino's Travels/Journeys, depending on your translator] has consistently been overall better than anything I've watched.) (Not to imply that Elfen Lied isn't good, though.)

My opinion on the matter should be obvious.  
wink_face.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #1,281 of 6,432

Quote:

Although vinyl has a higher dynamic range, it adds a bit of pleasant coloration and doesn't measure amazingly well (for you graph geeks) That being said, I'd take vinyl over CD any day. I'm not educated enough in reel to reel to make any real statement though.

haha, the only time ive seen one of these is in pulp fiction.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #1,282 of 6,432

Quote:
Exactly they are exactly the same, while 320kbps takes up much more space, this making 320CBR inferior in every way to LAME V0. It's arguable that AAC is better, though even if it is the noticeable difference wouldn't matter since LAME V2 is transparent to most. If you really want to get nerdy and technical though, OGG is better than both.

Ogg is far more complex than AAC resulting in a much higher CPU calculations. In practical terms, Ogg Vorbis will suck the battery life out of your DAP vs. AAC.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #1,283 of 6,432

Quote:

wrong! Dynamic range has ALL to do with the mastering of the track, NOT the media it is recorded upon. the 'pleasant coloraton' is higher THD.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #1,284 of 6,432
Well, sort of but not entirely true. The dynamic range of a CD is 16bit times 6db which is 96db thou no equipment on the planet has that kind of dynamic range. 24bit tracks on the other hand has 24 times 6 = 144Db dynamic range while analogue has even more, theoratically, since it is not bound by the digital data system. Whatever the case, even the most dramatic classical pieces have a dynamic range of around 40 db; pop music often has less than 10db... So the conclusion is that the dynamic range capable in your source media is not going to bottleneck your enjoyment.

Quote:
wrong! Dynamic range has ALL to do with the mastering of the track, NOT the media it is recorded upon. the 'pleasant coloraton' is higher THD.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,285 of 6,432

Quote:
Well, sort of but not entirely true. The dynamic range of a CD is 16bit times 6db which is 96db thou no equipment on the planet has that kind of dynamic range. 24bit tracks on the other hand has 24 times 6 = 144Db dynamic range while analogue has even more, theoratically, since it is not bound by the digital data system. Whatever the case, even the most dramatic classical pieces have a dynamic range of around 40 db; pop music often has less than 10db... So the conclusion is that the dynamic range capable in your source media is not going to bottleneck your enjoyment.

sorry, but that's exactly what I said, only mine in fewer words.

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,286 of 6,432
Quote:
sorry, but that's exactly what I said, only mine in fewer words.

You seemed to say that the medium did not and could not matter and that only the mastering mattered, which would imply that you could put any dynamic range you wanted on to a CD if it was mastered that way, which is clearly impossible.

If you meant that practically it doesn't matter what medium it's delivered on since all common formats have more than enough dynamic range and no one uses it all anyway then you were right.  That's not how it read to me though.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #1,290 of 6,432
beats seem cheaply built by the sound of them when he sets them down & moves them around.
@ 6:50 Lolz. and im guessing since he hasnt had time to burn-in his M50 (he said he had them for a day?) it'll sound better. well aslong as monster doesnt ruin the TRON headphones! I want to go wild with EL wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back