Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,261 of 6,432
Quote:
FLAC can reach up to 22k.

I know.  I meant, jokingly since you were using an approximation, that the lowpass on V0 is slightly less than 20Khz there was a little less hearing range you needed before needing to switch to FLAC to hear the hyper-treble.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #1,263 of 6,432
i let a few people listen to my shure 750s and there reaction was wow and there was this one ignorant person who listen to them after 2 minutes he took them off. and said skull candy titans are better. i don't understand how some people can be so ignorant but what ever. maybe he didn't want to admit that my phones were much better. one person said they were really good and walked away. and i have had numerous people at school comment on my headphones people saying they look nice and expensive. 1 person put them on and asked if they were bose. i said read the label. and surprisingly he knew what shure was. he said back to me doesn't shure make microphones.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,264 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Uh, yes it does:

Spectrogram analysis via Spectro:

I used Kevin Rudolf's 'Let It Rock' because it is heavily Loudness War'ed thus contains a lot of digital info within the file.

Lossless FLAC file

Quicktime 7.6.9b TrueVBR AAC at ~192 kbps (AAC is natively VBR [Variable bit rate]). Converted to WAV to work with Spectro otherwise it is 100% representative of that file.

LAME 3.98.4 mp3 at VBR -V0 (~245 kbps)

As you can see, the AAC is better more accurate representation of the FLAC file via less artifacting Not only that, thee AAC file is a smaller file, requiring less bitrate which in turn means less processing power which in practical terms, means more songs on your DAP / 'mp3 player' and longer battery life as the CPU calculates less and decodes less. Will submit the 320kbps CBR vs VBR -v0 later.

Interesting. Personally I can't even tell the difference between LAME V4 and lossless though. I use V3 just to be safe.

Strangely, I always get larger filesizes with AAC set to the same target bitrate. I played around with Spectro a bit. These are encoded to roughly the same filesize:
Vorbis AoTUV 5.7 Q5.2 (5.29mb)
AAC Nero 1.5.4.0 Q4.7 (5.31mb)
MP3 LAME 3.98r V3 (5.32mb)
Song is Tsuki no Waltz by Shijou Takane

Don't really know how to read the graph but I definitely noticed something large missing at the beginning of the song in the MP3. And I guess missing or thicker red slivers here and there.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #1,265 of 6,432
Yup, Ogg is the best as far as compression to file size ratio is concerned, shame it never caught on. Most people though V4-V3 LAME preset is transparent. Transparent, for those who don't know, means that you can't tell a difference from the exact copy.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #1,266 of 6,432
Quote:
Basically though what I'm getting at is that FLAC is actually inferior to 99.9% of people, though people like to convince themselves otherwise, especially since MP3 loses no low end, only the high.

I know, I was just trying to make a joke about those last few hertz making a difference.  Obviously, it fell flat...

@bcasey

Back to Nyu again!  Another reminder to get off my ass and finish my Elfen Lied and Nightwish/Planet Hell AMV.  I started it shortly after that song was first released and I still need to finish it...

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #1,268 of 6,432
Well its my fault if my joke sucks so bad is needs an explanation.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,269 of 6,432
Earbuds... found... on a gym locker room floor?  He has actually put those things in his ears?  
eek.gif
  Has he had any interesting new fungal growths yet?

Quote:
And just to contribute to the thread: had a friend try on my MEElec M6s and he enjoyed the sound much more than the cheapo earbuds that he found on the floor of his gym's locker room. The one thing that drove him away from them were the "cone thingies", I was using the tri flange tips.
When I also told some of my friends that I was going to buy the Pro 900s for $400 they looked at me like I was mad and proceeded to tell me that I was going to be forever alone. ;_;

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #1,270 of 6,432
Quote:
Earbuds... found... on a gym locker room floor?  He has actually put those things in his ears?  
eek.gif

Athlete's Ear?

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #1,271 of 6,432

Quote:
eek.gif

group hug?

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #1,273 of 6,432

Quote:

I know, I was just trying to make a joke about those last few hertz making a difference.  Obviously, it fell flat...

@bcasey

Back to Nyu again!  Another reminder to get off my ass and finish my Elfen Lied and Nightwish/Planet Hell AMV.  I started it shortly after that song was first released and I still need to finish it...

yep elfen lied is and always will be my favorite show.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #1,274 of 6,432

Quote:
why has this thread degenerated into an mp3 argument, if you cared about quality that much you'd have a record player. 

Actually...no I won't start this here. And isn't reel to reel the way to go if you wanted amazing quality music?

And about the Titans dude, I really don't think they're terrible IEM's. Sure, not as good as your Shures, but they sound different too.  They have more midbass, which seems to be all the rage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back