Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 13, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #811 of 6,432
got one of my best friends to try my 580's yester day, his reaction was pretty great. the song was Killers by Ironmaiden, his reaction' WOW the bass is crazy, you can really feel the impact of the double bass and it doesn't drown out the rest of the music, his vocals are super detailed.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #812 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
i let a friend of mine use my shure srh750dj headphones. and her reaction was they sound ok. but they sound a bit off. and when she said a bit off. i asked her why. and she said her $15 earbuds sounded better. made me freakout inside. she was comparing 15$ earbuds to 200$ headphones. like What. ofcourse the shure srh750dj headphones are better.

she lost hearing due using the earphones in loud volumes

Preference of sound signature tbh in action here. And maybe accommodation (i.e. used to the sound of her earphones).

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #813 of 6,432
Wow, everyone seems so understanding of the earbuds thing. If they were skullcandies I'm sure everyone would be flipping out.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #814 of 6,432

Quote:
Wow, everyone seems so understanding of the earbuds thing. If they were skullcandies I'm sure everyone would be flipping out.

i think they were ifrogs or skullcandy. she said tehy were colourful.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #815 of 6,432
I went into an electronics store and was looking at voice recorders but I heard 2 guys beside me looking at headphones.
One guy was like "Oh, they're those bud headphones they are real mint".
The other replied "I know, those bud things increase sound quality, all of the ones with buds sound awesome"

I was going to say something but I didn't.

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #816 of 6,432

Quote:
I went into an electronics store and was looking at voice recorders but I heard 2 guys beside me looking at headphones.
The other replied "I know, those bud things increase sound quality, all of the ones with buds sound awesome"

wow those people are highly uneducated.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #817 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

wow those people are highly uneducated.

...well the buds technically increase sound quality...if you don't have tips on, they sound icky.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #818 of 6,432
For Christmas my parents and my brother got me a pair of Grado SR60i's.  Now, I go to University and live in the dorms so I also decided to buy the ATH M50s right after Christmas so I would have them for my dorm and for traveling. So the M50s arrive and I procede to open them up in the kitchen where my mom is. She's very concerned that I don't like the Grado's, so I'm trying to explain to her the differences and what not, but I eventually just stop and say "hold on" and run and get the Grado's and my iphone. 
Me: Ok mom, try the Grado's.....
Her: Alright, these sound pretty good
Me: Now try the M50s....
Her: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I get it

My brother is still confused as to why I have two headphones, but then again he has yet to listen to them  :)

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #819 of 6,432

Quote:
For Christmas my parents and my brother got me a pair of Grado SR60i's.  Now, I go to University and live in the dorms so I also decided to buy the ATH M50s right after Christmas so I would have them for my dorm and for traveling. So the M50s arrive and I procede to open them up in the kitchen where my mom is. She's very concerned that I don't like the Grado's, so I'm trying to explain to her the differences and what not, but I eventually just stop and say "hold on" and run and get the Grado's and my iphone. 

My brother is still confused as to why I have two headphones, but then again he has yet to listen to them  :)

lol, nice.  My parents don't understand either... In fact, my dad called it a "sickness".  In part, it is - you'd probably agree if you saw the stream of packages arriving for me, or my apartment last summer...

That was last year; my final year as an undergrad.  Prior to the school year starting, I had owned just the CD player, preamp, and one of the amps (oh, and the two speakers out of sight here).  All the rest was acquired over about half a year...

Moving from the dorms to an apartment didn't end up saving me so much money after all...

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #820 of 6,432
To be honest, that doesn't compare to a Grado SR dude... I understand your family haha

Quote:
Quote:

lol, nice.  My parents don't understand either... In fact, my dad called it a "sickness".  In part, it is - you'd probably agree if you saw the stream of packages arriving for me, or my apartment last summer...

That was last year; my final year as an undergrad.  Prior to the school year starting, I had owned just the CD player, preamp, and one of the amps (oh, and the two speakers out of sight here).  All the rest was acquired over about half a year...

Moving from the dorms to an apartment didn't end up saving me so much money after all...

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #821 of 6,432

Hah, oh my goodness, I have never seen anything like that before. I can only imagine what that would sound like. I'm already feeling this sickness. I keep telling myself that I am set for headphones right now and that I should just enjoy music now, but then I come on here and start seeing all these headphones and start trying to justify them and whatnot. Well I don't have anything with that sound signature yet... and they're not that expensive... 

Some other reactions I got:

My one roommate really likes the M50s. He was surprised at the amount of bass and how it didn't get distorted when it got really deep or loud.

I was saddened that my girlfriend didn't think much of my new headphones. I was so excited to show her and let her listen to them. She only listened for a couple of seconds and said they sounded nice (for both the M50s and the SR60i). I asked her which one she liked better but she didn't really know sound wise, but she did enjoy the comfort of the M50s over the grados.

Quote:
Quote:

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #822 of 6,432
Quote:

Haha, nice CRT.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #823 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

typical. you spend a fortune on audio but keep using a crt tv. nothing wrong with that. i never watch tv and find audio gear more useful as i actually use them.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #824 of 6,432
Or, he could just not own a TV. =) My brother bought a huge HD flat panel screen. He told me that I would never be able to go back to regular television if I had it. I think he missed the fact that I don't even have a TV to really care LOL

Quote:
typical. you spend a fortune on audio but keep using a crt tv. nothing wrong with that. i never watch tv and find audio gear more useful as i actually use them.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #825 of 6,432
Got a co-worker/ room-mate to listen to my T5Ps two days ago when I got them. I put M. Jackson's I'm Bad for him. He put looked at them for a moment assessing their build and all that and put them on, started listening. After a few moments I saw a smile on his face :). He listened for some time and concluded he liked the sound very much. 

Later I went to my room and he got there around 2 hours later. First thing he said was: I bougt a pair of headphones! Sennheiser HD407 I believe he said.

Today I will have another co-worker listen to them to see how he reacts. He is an avid Bose fan :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back