Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 7, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #766 of 6,432
I went to my old workplace with my DT770's and my amp. The instant I step in I get the "what the hell are you carrying around?" question. So I tell one of the employees would you care to know why I have these? They accept. I play a song and they say "WOW!! it sounds like I am in a club, the bass hits hard but it is not wobbly, thanks for making my ears have a party." But then soon after the emotion dies, she says: too bad you don't have the beats :frowning2:

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #767 of 6,432
I let my sister listen to the K181...

Set up: Sans Clip Plus + K181 DJ (Stereo, large club/bass) + Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" in FLAC

Reaction (paraphrased): "this would make an awesome Metal track" to which I responded with (paraphrase) "no, this church organ piece by Bach is unmatched, Metal cannot get close to it" and we both sort of agreed Bach was awesome. 

Now the K181 DJ is by no means high end but its sound quality is not low end either, far from it in my opinion. Maybe with a better cable it can be improved... 

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #768 of 6,432

Quote:
I went to my old workplace with my DT770's and my amp. The instant I step in I get the "what the hell are you carrying around?" question. So I tell one of the employees would you care to know why I have these? They accept. I play a song and they say "WOW!! it sounds like I am in a club, the bass hits hard but it is not wobbly, thanks for making my ears have a party." But then soon after the emotion dies, she says: too bad you don't have the beats :frowning2:

Tell her how overpriced the Beats are etc..

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #769 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
ok, the comment about the skullcandy is just for fun. But the post about the denons is a true story.

MORON  

Get a sense of humor. The 010 joke story was more cringe-worthy.
Quote:
I want to hear a first hand account of a high schooler who has worn HD 800s to school...

Would a pair of Thunderpants suffice? If not, then I'd do it for $800!

Oh, and my story for today! My friend who is really into theater and stuff wore a shirt that said "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die." Of which immediately reminded me of the Cloud Cult song "Princess Bride" and I made her listen to it and my Coppers were the pair that just so happened to be plugged in. "Ooh those look nice! Lemme listen to the song! ...Holy crap these sound amazing! Where can I get a pair?!" 

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #770 of 6,432
My dad will spend lots of money on his home theatre's sound system and will change stuff out all the time, and adjust the sound settings IN THE MIDDLE OF A MOVIE OR MY VIDYA GAMES! , but when I ask him if I can get some cans with my own money, he says stuff like "They're all the same" and "I've heard my friend's $300 Shures and they sound the same as my $5 Sonys" and stuff... 

He does spend hours researching it though, and he has changed out TVs all the time, he always goes on forums.

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #771 of 6,432

Quote:
My dad will spend lots of money on his home theatre's sound system and will change stuff out all the time, and adjust the sound settings IN THE MIDDLE OF A MOVIE OR MY VIDYA GAMES! , but when I ask him if I can get some cans with my own money, he says stuff like "They're all the same" and "I've heard my friend's $300 Shures and they sound the same as my $5 Sonys" and stuff... 

He does spend hours researching it though, and he has changed out TVs all the time, he always goes on forums.

why would you ask him if it's your money?

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #772 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

IIRC, he's a high schooler and Paypal issues arise if he needs CC. Shures? Maybe a bad fit or something.

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #773 of 6,432
I might be horribly wrong, but isn't so that when you compare metal and baroque music, that the structure is very similar? I've been told and I read quite often that the two are very similar.Oh, and Bach is pretty awesome indeed :p

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #774 of 6,432
I'm a highschooler, but I do have my own Paypal. I tend to order cheap stuff (under $20) without any confirmation, but anything over and I voluntarily ask my dad, so he doesn't blame me for wasting money or something after I get it (and make me go through an annoying return process, esp. if it isn't free shipping to and from my house)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IIRC, he's a high schooler and Paypal issues arise if he needs CC. Shures? Maybe a bad fit or something.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #776 of 6,432

Quote:

According to several Chinese audiophiles,

A new audiophile craves bass;
An established audiophile craves treble;
A really serious audiophile craves mid-range.

So basically everybody is a potential audiophile. The key is to get them past the "massive bass" stage. I got myself past that by buying a pair of Koss UR-20. That's right.

I'm still reading through the thread, but thought to respond to this particular post.

My journey went a bit differently, and was mostly decided by budget.

I started with bassy earphones, though not because of them being bassy. It was a budgetary thing. First off, there was the Sony MDR-LP71ex. I thought they were excellent, really top notch. Then they broke and I needed to replace them. I looked around and found the Senny CX300s and Creative Ep-630. From what I read, they were basically the same, so I got the much cheaper Ep-630. They were miles better than the Sonys. Another reason for the cheap earphones at the time was that I had blown a lot of money on my mp3 player, a Cowon X5. A mp3 I still have, and still use, though slightly modded these days.

Then they started to break and I was poised to buy the then brand new UE Metro.fi 2, when my brother gave me the also then brand new Shure SE-420. Mid-range tastic! I know they're not well liked around here, but, well, I don't care. I loved them, the step up from the creatives were insane.

Then, last summer, I lost them. After a month of trying to use the Ep-630, I looked for and found a replacement. Now, I couldn't afford buying another pair of SE-420, let alone the ones I wanted (Westone UM3x, I believe). Instead I looked at bang for the buck earphones and settled for the $79 Head-direct Re0. With the treble mod, a fiio E5 amp and comply tips, I really like these, though they are quite trebley.

Annoyingly, I'm craving a pair of cans now, and I don't even like cans. Looking at Fischer Audio Fa-004s. If it wasn't 4 am here, I'd buy them, but I don't buy things after 11 pm.

I have, however, turned several friends on to the path of proper gear. One rolls with a Sansa clip+ and SE-530s, another with an iTouch and UE700 (upgraded from UM1s, and Super.fi 3s before that).

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #777 of 6,432
I lot my friend try my pro 2500s and he replied "They don't sound full."  I listened to his skullcandys with sub-woofers and they sounded so thin and terrible I had to take them off immediately.  When I tried to criticize his headphones he told me to stop trying to act cool. What!!!!!
I have narrowed it down to these causes:
Not wearing it right
Poor Sources
Used to close - I think this is the reason.  His devices of torture (skullcandys) seem to have a noise canceling effect causing pressure on the eardrums.  This makes the air around him seem full, not the sound.  Pro 2500s are open and are designed to be the exact opposite of that,  in other words, the sound was too around him and not in his head.
I'm still pretty disappointed 
triportsad.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #778 of 6,432

Quote:
I lot my friend try my pro 2500s and he replied "They don't sound full."  I listened to his skullcandys with sub-woofers and they sounded so thin and terrible I had to take them off immediately.  When I tried to criticize his headphones he told me to stop trying to act cool. What!!!!!
I have narrowed it down to these causes:
Not wearing it right
Poor Sources
Used to close - I think this is the reason.  His devices of torture (skullcandys) seem to have a noise canceling effect causing pressure on the eardrums.  This makes the air around him seem full, not the sound.  Pro 2500s are open and are designed to be the exact opposite of that,  in other words, the sound was too around him and not in his head.
I'm still pretty disappointed 
triportsad.gif

that's odd. everyone who's tried my K701's has thoroughly enjoyed them, and that's just out of my sound card and itouch

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #779 of 6,432
I do not have any great kill stories really as I do not have a super nice set of cans yet... but my two kills... sort of fit here even though they are not considered "audiophile" except when your in the back seat of an MD80 with the engines roaring, then they are the most amazing audiophile gear you can get haha! I travel a LOT for work, in planes all the time and a noisy office so I have a set of sennheiser PXC-350's which I LOVE for travel and so forth. So my kill list...

- Kill one: On a plane to Paris and was listening to a movie actually. I notice the guy next to me was listening to his bose (from memory, quiet comfort 3's)?? I think he saw me look at his cans (get your mind out of the gutter haha) and he glanced at mine. He then asked of they were noise canceling and I said yes. He then proceeded to tell me how high end his bose were and that they cost around $2XX dollars. He then stated he had never heard of "sinhoser" So I asked what type of music he listened to, he said some techno, jazz, classical... all around. So I said, do you want to try these? He said sure, so I alcohol prepped the ear pads "sorry I am weird like that" and handed them over. He took out his ipod thingy and started to listen... and listen... and listen so more... and ... more... *LOL* Was probably 10 minutes of listening but felt like an hour. He then took them off and put his back on for about another 3 minutes, took them off, looked at me and said "wow, those really sound nice, where do you get those from? Is that a new company?" So I explained they are an old, well known company, purchased them online. He then asked "how much do they run?" So I told him I see them for around $250-$300 online usually. He sort of set back in the chair with a confused look on his face, took out his blackberry and asked what the model number was on my cans and typed it in. That was the last conversation we had haha!

- Kill two, well not really a kill: Short and sweet, guy at work asked "nice sennheisers", and pronounced them correctly. He said he had been wanting to listen to some as he did not like his phillips.. whatever they are. Asked if he could have a listen, I cleaned them, handed them over and asked what he wanted to listen to, he said metal so I put on "twist of cain" by Danzig and he listened to the whole song, took them off and simply said "wow, those are awesome!" Every once in awhile he mentions that he loved them and is still saving "he travels a lot also so wants NC"

Wish I had better stories than that, but will come in time when I get more gear :D

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #780 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Tell her how overpriced the Beats are etc..

I mentioned that but I never emphasised it due to the fact that I was bummed out :frowning2:
How likely do you think it is that she will remember the awesomeness of decent headphones if she ever compares it again to beats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back