Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #107 of 6,432
Dec 9, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #108 of 6,432
popcorn.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #109 of 6,432

Quote:
I almost cried today, a buddy of mine posted and I quote"going to play amnesia:the dark decent with some kick ass new headphones, man great time today and got some new skull candy hesh to bask in a true audio masterpiece of a game, and now I can finally start making my DJ tracks better" after month of me trying to get him to get the M50's....I died a bit today. 

I mourn thee, though commend thee for fighting the good fight.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #110 of 6,432

@ Argyris ....Can't help but love the quote in your sig.
Quote:
Quote:
I almost cried today, a buddy of mine posted and I quote"going to play amnesia:the dark decent with some kick ass new headphones, man great time today and got some new skull candy hesh to bask in a true audio masterpiece of a game, and now I can finally start making my DJ tracks better" after month of me trying to get him to get the M50's....I died a bit today. 

I mourn thee, though commend thee for fighting the good fight.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #112 of 6,432

Quote:
everyone looks at the price tag without thinking the long term benefits and quality of the product.

Interesting that you'd bring that up.  It's why I'm here.  About 5 years ago, I bought a pair of Altec Lansing PC headphones.  They cost ~$35.  Their sound was okay, better than most of what I had at the time.  Since then, I've had a pair of Shure E3C IEMs, which I paid over $100 for.  I got those for the isolation, though the sound was nice.  I stopped using them because I didn't like how the IEMs fit (after testing them recently, it turns out that one side doesn't work now).  Well, the Altec Lansings started to fall apart, though even at that, it's the foamies which are disintegrating, everything else is fine.  So I decided that if cans would last me that long and I liked circumaural cans that much more than IEMs, I should spend some good money on closed cans since they will likely last me another 5 years.

With that in mind, I started researching headphones, picking up lingo as I went.  A bit of research led me here, which is where I got a bunch more suggestions which led me to the SRH750DJs.  One interesting thing I've noticed here:  Open cans have better sound staging, so audiophiles seem to go for them a lot more, which made it much harder to come up with a shortlist of closed cans.  When I started asking around here, my list was Ultrasone HFI-450, Technics RPDH1200, and Senheisser HD448.

Would you believe that when I started looking for new headphones, I was thinking about getting Bose?  A friend who does studio recording turned me off of them.  He saw the SRH750DJ's the other day.  His reaction?  "Ah, so you got the good ones!"  He had a friend with him, who asked "what are those?" I got a good chuckle out of the reply: "Headphones that let you hear the real sound."

So I guess I'm one of those that was "saved!"

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #113 of 6,432

Quote:

Man, I am speechless. Skullcandy is the one brand that I can't defend at all. At least Monster or Bose got some sort of overpriced quality... but Skullcandy is just... evilly... muddy.

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #114 of 6,432

Quote:

I praise your wisdom in choosing the SRH750DJ.

More than a month ago, I was actually in an agreement to buy Beats Solo with another friend. However, after auditioning them and finding them utterly uncomfortable to wear. I let them go "regretfully" and started researching other headphones. I was blessed with this site and found the SRH840. Now I am a happy audiophile with my wallet crying.
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #115 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
everyone looks at the price tag without thinking the long term benefits and quality of the product.

Interesting that you'd bring that up.  It's why I'm here.  About 5 years ago, I bought a pair of Altec Lansing PC headphones.  They cost ~$35.  Their sound was okay, better than most of what I had at the time.  Since then, I've had a pair of Shure E3C IEMs, which I paid over $100 for.  I got those for the isolation, though the sound was nice.  I stopped using them because I didn't like how the IEMs fit (after testing them recently, it turns out that one side doesn't work now).  Well, the Altec Lansings started to fall apart, though even at that, it's the foamies which are disintegrating, everything else is fine.  So I decided that if cans would last me that long and I liked circumaural cans that much more than IEMs, I should spend some good money on closed cans since they will likely last me another 5 years.

With that in mind, I started researching headphones, picking up lingo as I went.  A bit of research led me here, which is where I got a bunch more suggestions which led me to the SRH750DJs.  One interesting thing I've noticed here:  Open cans have better sound staging, so audiophiles seem to go for them a lot more, which made it much harder to come up with a shortlist of closed cans.  When I started asking around here, my list was Ultrasone HFI-450, Technics RPDH1200, and Senheisser HD448.

Would you believe that when I started looking for new headphones, I was thinking about getting Bose?  A friend who does studio recording turned me off of them.  He saw the SRH750DJ's the other day.  His reaction?  "Ah, so you got the good ones!"  He had a friend with him, who asked "what are those?" I got a good chuckle out of the reply: "Headphones that let you hear the real sound."

sorry to peddle my wears, but I have some HD448 for sale if that's still an interest.*really need funds ahaha...the upgrade bug has stricken*

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #117 of 6,432
Oh man this three stage audiophile thing is scary...

First step I wanted some serious bass so I bought some Atrio M5s, followed by IE8
Got tired of the sound so i bought me a TF10, which I love the treble.
And now this week I have a SE530 on the way.

eek.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #118 of 6,432

Quote:
Oh man this three stage audiophile thing is scary...

First step I wanted some serious bass so I bought some Atrio M5s, followed by IE8
Got tired of the sound so i bought me a TF10, which I love the treble.
And now this week I have a SE530 on the way.

eek.gif

Chinese idiom at its best.
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #119 of 6,432

Users who are viewing this thread

Back