Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 9, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #76 of 6,432

Quote:
What I don't understand is how is it crazy to spend $200 on a headphone is a waste of money to people, but spending $200 on tennis racket, purse, shoes, jeans, etc. are not consider waste of money? especially the purse and shoe stuff...

anybody care to answer?

Trust me I am not talking about anyone specific.
biggrin.gif

How can you not appreciate thwacking things with an awesomely made tennis racket?!
eek.gif

On a more serious note, I personally think "worth" is such an abstract concept that people attempted to simplify by making it an equivalent of the material used to construct that product and the usage of it. I personally try to go by the entire belief that if it makes you happy, you feel there is a difference, and that you do honestly feel that it is best that the price can offer (for various, various, and various numbers of reasons), then it is worth it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #77 of 6,432
Whats surprised me to date is that my 8 year old daughter can distinguish between the good and IMO the bad. For Christmas last year a relative bought her a Ipod nano and a pair of Bose IEM'S because she kept wanting to be like her dad. Sad thing is she got those gifts
rolleyes.gif
..... the day before Christmas and i had purchased a Sansa clip+ and a pair of Re0's that Santa was bringing the next night... My wife about threw up when she seen what the relative had bought because of my investment for her. So i still proceeded to have Santa deliver the goods.....So the whole night before she was so excited to have her very own rig( Bose & Ipod Nano) and even made the comment " I hope Santa doesn't bring this tonight and See's that i have what you have Dad"  So the next morning she opens up her presents and first she opens the clip+ and looks curiously and then the Re0's follow... then she says look Dad i have to of each now..... Later that afternoon , after downloading all her favorite music on the clip+ and the Nano. So she went into her room with both of her rig's and listened for a while...... A few hours later she comes out to me while I'm on the computer and says , Dad i want you to listen and i said OK, so i listened to the Bose and nano combo first...tapped my toes and what not. And then she said listen to this one. At the time i had a clip+ and Re0's in my collection. So after listening to both of her rigs she asked me which one i liked better, so for fun i chose the Bose nano combo assuming that would be her choice... well dad was wrong and to this day the nano and the Bose are sitting in a drawer in my desk. She actually told me that the music sounded better from what Santa brought her. Then asked me why i thought the other one was better. So i sat there with a stupid grin on my face and was completely shocked at the outcome. An 8 year old heard the difference. Then a couple weeks ago i let her listen to my current rig ( Fuze=LOD to Stepdance= Sm3) She asked if i thought Santa would bring her what i have..
eek.gif
 I told her i don't think Santa's elves can make it lol. but i would call him a see. So now i got stuck getting her the Fuze and I'm giving her a spare LOD and a Fiio e7 and stuck on the IEM department maybe the Sm2 i dunno. Hope i didnt bore you people to death with this. I just find it amazing. 8 year old ears and the choice she made.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #78 of 6,432

Quote:
What I don't understand is how is it crazy to spend $200 on a headphone is a waste of money to people, but spending $200 on tennis racket, purse, shoes, jeans, etc. are not consider waste of money? especially the purse and shoe stuff...

anybody care to answer?

Trust me I am not talking about anyone specific.
biggrin.gif

Isn't it obvious? People only think the things they like/understand are worth time/money, and they like to feel like they know best and others are insane when they spend money on something they personally don't care about.

I'm with you on superficial stuff like purses. Completely useless. I guess that makes me no better than the people I just described above. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #79 of 6,432
thats pretty awesome!

Quote:
Whats surprised me to date is that my 8 year old daughter can distinguish between the good and IMO the bad. For Christmas last year a relative bought her a Ipod nano and a pair of Bose IEM'S because she kept wanting to be like her dad. Sad thing is she got those gifts
rolleyes.gif
..... the day before Christmas and i had purchased a Sansa clip+ and a pair of Re0's that Santa was bringing the next night... My wife about threw up when she seen what the relative had bought because of my investment for her. So i still proceeded to have Santa deliver the goods.....So the whole night before she was so excited to have her very own rig( Bose & Ipod Nano) and even made the comment " I hope Santa doesn't bring this tonight and See's that i have what you have Dad"  So the next morning she opens up her presents and first she opens the clip+ and looks curiously and then the Re0's follow... then she says look Dad i have to of each now..... Later that afternoon , after downloading all her favorite music on the clip+ and the Nano. So she went into her room with both of her rig's and listened for a while...... A few hours later she comes out to me while I'm on the computer and says , Dad i want you to listen and i said OK, so i listened to the Bose and nano combo first...tapped my toes and what not. And then she said listen to this one. At the time i had a clip+ and Re0's in my collection. So after listening to both of her rigs she asked me which one i liked better, so for fun i chose the Bose nano combo assuming that would be her choice... well dad was wrong and to this day the nano and the Bose are sitting in a drawer in my desk. She actually told me that the music sounded better from what Santa brought her. Then asked me why i thought the other one was better. So i sat there with a stupid grin on my face and was completely shocked at the outcome. An 8 year old heard the difference. Then a couple weeks ago i let her listen to my current rig ( Fuze=LOD to Stepdance= Sm3) She asked if i thought Santa would bring her what i have..
eek.gif
 I told her i don't think Santa's elves can make it lol. but i would call him a see. So now i got stuck getting her the Fuze and I'm giving her a spare LOD and a Fiio e7 and stuck on the IEM department maybe the Sm2 i dunno. Hope i didnt bore you people to death with this. I just find it amazing. 8 year old ears and the choice she made.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #80 of 6,432
Guidostrunk, I believe what happened to you was an excellent example of the innocence of children, and belief in true goodness. No bias, only sound. We should use children to judge all of our headphones.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #81 of 6,432
exactly. my dad asked me how much my HeadRoom Desktop amp/DAC was and when i answered he told me that i am crazy and obsessed. i said yup, and that was that.

Quote:
Isn't it obvious? People only think the things they like/understand are worth time/money, and they like to feel like they know best and others are insane when they spend money on something they personally don't care about.

I'm with you on superficial stuff like purses. Completely useless. I guess that makes me no better than the people I just described above. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #82 of 6,432
@Guidostrunk

Holy crap, you have a magnificent daughter with your genes.
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #83 of 6,432
What can I say? Like father, like daughter. You should be proud. 
smile.gif

Quote:
rolleyes.gif
eek.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #84 of 6,432

Quote:
Then a couple weeks ago i let her listen to my current rig ( Fuze=LOD to Stepdance= Sm3) She asked if i thought Santa would bring her what i have..
eek.gif

I foresee some very expensive Christmases for a while.

Save up 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #85 of 6,432
Yeah, and maybe some Stax for a high school graduation present.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #86 of 6,432
nice story Guidostrunk, made me smile.
smile.gif

I've been able to convert a few friends to higher fidelity equipment. For the most part, they say it sounds nice but not worth the investment. Many of them end up going for some lower end IEMs, but they pick stuff other than skullcandy and cheap sonys now. One of them went for a pair of SRH840s. But so far, none have stepped into the DAC or amp realm.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #88 of 6,432
I told my uncle about my obsession with headphones and his reaction was.  I used to be into that stuff back in the 70's.  He then told me he still has his 70's-80's era tube receivers sitting somewhere in a box.  Said I could check them out.  Hopefully it's something good! 

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #89 of 6,432

Dude you might be in for a treat. Ready for the invite when you get the receivers
biggrin.gif
. I'll bring the beer.
Quote:
I told my uncle about my obsession with headphones and his reaction was.  I used to be into that stuff back in the 70's.  He then told me he still has his 70's-80's era tube receivers sitting somewhere in a box.  Said I could check them out.  Hopefully it's something good! 

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #90 of 6,432

Quote:
...70's-80's era tube receivers...

More like 60's-early 70's if it's tubes. I'm sure it's awesome kit. Tube stuff is usually pretty good and was made in an era when all stereo equipment was a luxury of a sort; thus, it was engineered to a much higher standard than gear is today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back