Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,111 of 6,432

Quote:
A class mate of mine saw that I had this "weird thing" (fiio e7) strapped to my iphone and saw the "odd looking earphones" so he asked to try them. After a few minutes, he takes them off, pulls out his beats in-ears with his ipod touch and says "Nothing beats the beats man".

poor unfortunate soul. tsk tsk.
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #1,112 of 6,432

Quote:
A class mate of mine saw that I had this "weird thing" (fiio e7) strapped to my iphone and saw the "odd looking earphones" so he asked to try them. After a few minutes, he takes them off, pulls out his beats in-ears with his ipod touch and says "Nothing beats the beats man".

Eat his lunch.

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #1,113 of 6,432

Quote:

Someone show the man a pair of HFI-580's or M50's.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,114 of 6,432
or any headphone mentioned on this forum for that matter.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,115 of 6,432
ear 
or the UE500's *if he like to go def from IEM's*, half the price but 5x the quality.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #1,117 of 6,432
I let my roommates try out my M50s and here were the reactions:

Roommate #1 (The one who has listened to "a lot" of headphones"):

"Holy $***, dude"

Roommate #2:

Yelling at the top of his lungs to hear himself to talk, "Woah, these sound awesome."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't wait till they hear my DT990s amped.

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #1,118 of 6,432
I have dealt with this for years in high-end audio.  The usual response is "wow, that sounds great" followed by immediate departure to kitchen for cheese and wine.  

My wife cracks me up.  She resisted trying the HD650s for a month, finally gave in, then ripped it off her head because she didn't like the music I'd picked saying "that was too intensely horrible!"  So much for immersion!

I finally realized that while almost anyone will HEAR the difference, though to varying degrees of critical analysis, but only a few people CARE about being able to really LISTEN to the music, not just share space with it.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 6, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #1,119 of 6,432

Quote:
or any headphone mentioned on this forum for that matter.

true dat =]

But the HFI-580's and M50's specialize in bass heavy Monster slaying =]

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #1,120 of 6,432
yeah, aren't the hifi's supposed to be one of the most bass heavy cans

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #1,121 of 6,432
Quote:
yeah, aren't the hifi's supposed to be one of the most bass heavy cans

No, the Sony XB series are the most bass heavy at the sacrifice on overall detail. The HFIs have tight impactful bass.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #1,125 of 6,432
^^ I suppose anything sufficiently popular will inspire both imitation and forgery. 'Tis a poor forger indeed who concerns himself with why the model for his copies is so popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back