Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,006 of 6,432
Maybe he felt you were coming off as "zomg look at my kick--- new headphones that are so much better than anything anyone else on the planet ever has had!" It's usually cool to offer an audition to someone, but best to not call them an idiot for refusing unless you want to come off looking like a jerk. Yes, his reasons were bad, but insistence can sometimes be taken as rudeness too. As the saying goes, though: Ignorance is bliss. I certainly do understand your frustration.

Quote:
I took my M50's to school one day to show it off. A few of the students were absolutely amazed by it, said it was "amazing". One of my teachers who regularly turns his cheap subwoofer up really loud to annoy the teacher in the room next to him described them as "crisp" and said "wow" shortly after hearing them. Another teacher who had no idea why anybody would ever want headphones that went over the ears entirely said that she was amazed by them as well.

One student, though, was oddly defiant of listening to them. I asked him if he wanted to hear them and he said "No, $100 headphones are stupid. The best ones are the cheap ones." I then told him he focused on the price too much and that he should just listen to them; he wouldn't lose anything by doing so. "No," he insisted, "My current headphones are just fine. I don't even have to change anything on my iPod for them to sound good (mess with the EQ)." (Just a note, he has cheap $10 Sony headphones) I then told him that's not a very good way of rating your headphones and is like saying that teared-up, stained pants that are too short are good just because you don't need to adjust them to fit on your waist. He then became more defiant and a bit angry and continued giving lackluster reasons on why he shouldn't hear my headphones. I then told him he was being an idiot and that he should listen to the M50's regardless of his stupid, senseless reasons at which point he got very angry and I left him alone.

Well, I learned my lesson.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #1,008 of 6,432

Quote:
lol. At least he didn't say "Sup brah. These headphones suck, brah. I got me some Skullcandy Nutcrushers and they are SICK, brah. The bass is all BOOM BOOM, brah. I'll let you borrow them sometime, brah."

I literally spit water all over the place. Oh lord.... That made my day.

Anyway, I had the pleasure of trying to explain what a headphone amp was for. Sigh.... A few people tried my RE0's with and without and came to the conclusion that I was pants-on-head dumb. I would like to note that in the process of testing, I received various gems of comments, such as, "Are these Skullcandies?" and "They sound just like my iPod headphones" and my personal favorite, "I know about headphones, they sound just like Skullcandies because they have the same housing"..................................................

One person. One. Only one. Yes, ONE person, noticed that RE0's were better than the Skullcandy headphones they had. Another person had them resting on their earlobes and explained to me that they had no bass.

What a glorious day.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,009 of 6,432
I let my mom listen to my D7000's though my Nuforce HDP, she then after listening to some Vivaldi decided that for her upcoming 50th she wanted to spend 2000+ on a rig. Mission accomplished but it makes me cry that her rig will be better than mine :*(

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #1,010 of 6,432

Quote:
I let my mom listen to my D7000's though my Nuforce HDP, she then after listening to some Vivaldi decided that for her upcoming 50th she wanted to spend 2000+ on a rig. Mission accomplished but it makes me cry that her rig will be better than mine :*(

Maybe if you're really good, she'll let you use her rig.
biggrin.gif

But I guess that's if you are still young. In which case, I'd say you have some nice equipment already.

If you are not young... I don't know then!

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,011 of 6,432

MFW I let the kid I sold my XB-700 to listened to my HFI-580 out of a school computer from the front port listing to Joan Biaz."Yhe they are ok Mine are better" 
"why do you say that, what dont you like about these?"
"THERE ISNT ENOUGH BASS, I mean its there but its like over powered by everything else"...I was going to shoot someone.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #1,012 of 6,432

Quote:

MFW I let the kid I sold my XB-700 to listened to my HFI-580 out of a school computer from the front port listing to Joan Biaz."Yhe they are ok Mine are better" 
"THERE ISNT ENOUGH BASS, I mean its there but its like over powered by everything else"...I was going to shoot someone.

You didn't have a face when you let someone listen to your Ultrasones?

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #1,013 of 6,432
Next time, bring Sennheiser Orpheus / Stax Omega 2 to school. A hassle, but the response you get would be worth it.

Quote:
I took my M50's to school one day to show it off. A few of the students were absolutely amazed by it, said it was "amazing". One of my teachers who regularly turns his cheap subwoofer up really loud to annoy the teacher in the room next to him described them as "crisp" and said "wow" shortly after hearing them. Another teacher who had no idea why anybody would ever want headphones that went over the ears entirely said that she was amazed by them as well.

One student, though, was oddly defiant of listening to them. I asked him if he wanted to hear them and he said "No, $100 headphones are stupid. The best ones are the cheap ones." I then told him he focused on the price too much and that he should just listen to them; he wouldn't lose anything by doing so. "No," he insisted, "My current headphones are just fine. I don't even have to change anything on my iPod for them to sound good (mess with the EQ)." (Just a note, he has cheap $10 Sony headphones) I then told him that's not a very good way of rating your headphones and is like saying that teared-up, stained pants that are too short are good just because you don't need to adjust them to fit on your waist. He then became more defiant and a bit angry and continued giving lackluster reasons on why he shouldn't hear my headphones. I then told him he was being an idiot and that he should listen to the M50's regardless of his stupid, senseless reasons at which point he got very angry and I left him alone.

Well, I learned my lesson.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,014 of 6,432

Quote:
Next time, bring Sennheiser Orpheus / Stax Omega 2 to school. A hassle, but the response you get would be worth it.

Brave man.  I get a little nervous bringing my O2 to meets let alone a class full of non-audiophiles.  

Though I have a feeling all the gear needed to drive those electrostats might scare off people instead of encouraging them to like headphones.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #1,015 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

You didn't have a face when you let someone listen to your Ultrasones?

GOD DAMNIT INTERNET!!! it was supposed to be the kingcrimson CD cover.... seriously mids and highs= WORST SOUND EVER according to him. I lold...then cried.

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #1,016 of 6,432
This thread...makes me LOL.

Well just today I let my roommate try out my Pro 2500s. We're both Kanye fans so I played "All of the Lights" for him. I was listening too with my HD 555s but I let him have the chair while I just loomed over his shoulder. 30 seconds in it looked like he was smiling. I couldn't exactly tell because of my angle (I was behind him). Then it seemed as if he was trying to hide his face from me; probably just being a little sheepish with a big stupid grin on his face. 30 seconds later he turns to me and says, "It's tickling my ears."

AH HA! I knew exactly the feeling he was talking about. I got kind of jealous because I wish I could have my ears feel like they're being tickled every time I listened to my Ultrasones. 

Then when the song was over he said, "It's like...*garners thoughts*...It's like there's another dimension of sound."

I could really tell that he was genuinely impressed. Now I need to get my other roommate to try 'em out.

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #1,017 of 6,432
So there's this girl.. anyways- I kept talking to her about my HFI-580's while anticipating their arrival. A couple days into burn-in, I discovered that one of her favorite bands (HeIsWe, some acoustic/folk deal) sounds INCREDIBLE on these Ultrasones. A couple more days later, I let her hear them.. here are her words.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,020 of 6,432
Two weeks passed and nothing from Audeze since the auto-reply email. Nothing. Is this normal? How long am I going to wait?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back