Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 25, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #992 of 6,432
Jan 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #993 of 6,432

Quote:
My friend Charlie has Skullcandy Ink'd and Smokin' Buds. I pointed that out to him and inquired about them, and he said that he stole them. I asked why, and he said, "Why would I pay for trash?"

LOL!!! still not a nice thing to do, the retailer needs to put food on his table
frown.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #995 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
My friend Charlie has Skullcandy Ink'd and Smokin' Buds. I pointed that out to him and inquired about them, and he said that he stole them. I asked why, and he said, "Why would I pay for trash?"

LOL!!! still not a nice thing to do, the retailer needs to put food on his table
frown.gif

yeah I know, I always thought Minnesotans were good folk. Then again Charlie moved here from New York.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #996 of 6,432

Quote:
I made my friend tried the Westone UM3X and after 30 seconds, he took it off and said, "You should get the Denon earphones."

My response: "Right."

lol. At least he didn't say "Sup brah. These headphones suck, brah. I got me some Skullcandy Nutcrushers and they are SICK, brah. The bass is all BOOM BOOM, brah. I'll let you borrow them sometime, brah."

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #997 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
I made my friend tried the Westone UM3X and after 30 seconds, he took it off and said, "You should get the Denon earphones."

My response: "Right."

lol. At least he didn't say "Sup brah. These headphones suck, brah. I got me some Skullcandy Nutcrushers and they are SICK, brah. The bass is all BOOM BOOM, brah. I'll let you borrow them sometime, brah."

No, Bose is far more classier, providing lifelike and classy sound. *sips wine*

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #998 of 6,432
I let my Dad and his girlfriend both try my DT990's and their Bose (not sure the model, but they were on-ear noise canceling), and ran them both through my E7/E9 combo. His girlfriend listened for a few minutes to each and said that she was surprised at how much better they sounded, more like she was at a live event. My dad put them on for about 10 minutes without a word, then he said, "Wow, these are LEAGUES better than the Bose." He then said he may look into buying some nicer headphones soon.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #1,000 of 6,432
One of my friends compared my Earjax Lyrics and AKG K518LEs to his stock iPhone buds (he never used anything besides what came stock) driven by JDS Labs cMoy portable amp.  His reaction were as follows (paraphrasing obviously):

Earjax: "wow..Wow...WOW...These are 10x better than the stock buds.  May be you were right about headphone not all being the same"

AKG: "Meh...these don't really sound different than stock ear buds; more bass, but that's about it.  It is not as great of a step up as the other (Earjax) ones..may be 2x better."

Still, it got him curious into looking into a better set of IEMs of HPs.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #1,002 of 6,432
My cousin was talking to me over the weekend, he is looking for some new headphones. He thought turtle beaches were the best...

I pointed him to headphone.com and told him to do research there as well as here, showed him a couple of Senn models that would be nice. Hopefully the virus sticks. 

Then he asked what I had and how much they cost. Hope that doesn't drive him away :p

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #1,003 of 6,432

Quote:

This is the best post I've read all week.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,004 of 6,432
I took my M50's to school one day to show it off. A few of the students were absolutely amazed by it, said it was "amazing". One of my teachers who regularly turns his cheap subwoofer up really loud to annoy the teacher in the room next to him described them as "crisp" and said "wow" shortly after hearing them. Another teacher who had no idea why anybody would ever want headphones that went over the ears entirely said that she was amazed by them as well.

One student, though, was oddly defiant of listening to them. I asked him if he wanted to hear them and he said "No, $100 headphones are stupid. The best ones are the cheap ones." I then told him he focused on the price too much and that he should just listen to them; he wouldn't lose anything by doing so. "No," he insisted, "My current headphones are just fine. I don't even have to change anything on my iPod for them to sound good (mess with the EQ)." (Just a note, he has cheap $10 Sony headphones) I then told him that's not a very good way of rating your headphones and is like saying that teared-up, stained pants that are too short are good just because you don't need to adjust them to fit on your waist. He then became more defiant and a bit angry and continued giving lackluster reasons on why he shouldn't hear my headphones. I then told him he was being an idiot and that he should listen to the M50's regardless of his stupid, senseless reasons at which point he got very angry and I left him alone.

Well, I learned my lesson.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,005 of 6,432

Quote:
I took my M50's to school one day to show it off. A few of the students were absolutely amazed by it, said it was "amazing". One of my teachers who regularly turns his cheap subwoofer up really loud to annoy the teacher in the room next to him described them as "crisp" and said "wow" shortly after hearing them. Another teacher who had no idea why anybody would ever want headphones that went over the ears entirely said that she was amazed by them as well.

One student, though, was oddly defiant of listening to them. I asked him if he wanted to hear them and he said "No, $100 headphones are stupid. The best ones are the cheap ones." I then told him he focused on the price too much and that he should just listen to them; he wouldn't lose anything by doing so. "No," he insisted, "My current headphones are just fine. I don't even have to change anything on my iPod for them to sound good (mess with the EQ)." (Just a note, he has cheap $10 Sony headphones) I then told him that's not a very good way of rating your headphones and is like saying that teared-up, stained pants that are too short are good just because you don't need to adjust them to fit on your waist. He then became more defiant and a bit angry and continued giving lackluster reasons on why he shouldn't hear my headphones. I then told him he was being an idiot and that he should listen to the M50's regardless of his stupid, senseless reasons at which point he got very angry and I left him alone.

Well, I learned my lesson.

man that is the perfect example of a sheep right there. conforming to the fact he would never buy good headphones. more then likely though he didn't want to hear them because he was afraid he would fall in love with the sound and wind up buying headphones for 100$ then 200$ then 400$ then 800$ then buy amps and turn into one of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back