Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #6,211 of 6,432
Quote:

I use jRiver Media Center 18, and download 320kbps from amazon.com....and covert to flac and wav...A/B you can't tell the converted wav files from the the same CD ripped by EAC to flac or wav!  Been doing that for years.  Compressed files can be uncompressed successfully!

You can't add anything back that was taken out during compression.  That's why they call it lossy.  You can change lossy formats but it isn't a good idea.  If your ears find it okay, then that's all that matters.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #6,212 of 6,432
Quote:

I use jRiver Media Center 18, and download 320kbps from amazon.com....and covert to flac and wav...A/B you can't tell the converted wav files from the the same CD ripped by EAC to flac or wav!  Been doing that for years.  Compressed files can be uncompressed successfully!

Yeah that's a complete waste. There's absolutely no reason to up-convert mp3 to FLAC/WAV.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #6,213 of 6,432
Quote:
I guess anything that isnt on a CD is just SoL for me then? I have alot of dubstep that I got by dowloading youtube videos in MP3 format, only hope would be to buy albums from the producers site, but even that will most likely be in MP3.

downloading from youtube in 128 mp3 is generally a lot worse than downloading 128kbps mp3 straight from the source. (unless the source leads back to youtube) since the mp3 file in youtube has been compressed a good 3-4 times before reaching you

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #6,214 of 6,432
Quote:
I guess anything that isnt on a CD is just SoL for me then? I have alot of dubstep that I got by dowloading youtube videos in MP3 format, only hope would be to buy albums from the producers site, but even that will most likely be in MP3.

Yes. As has been stated, it is completely impossible to replace the data that has been lost during mp3 compression. The only way is to acquire lossless versions of the music, either in the form of a CD or legitimate FLAC/ALAC/WAV files.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #6,215 of 6,432
Guys, can one of you create a new thread in the music forum if you have more of these questions? I'd be happy to answer all your questions there but lets get this thread back on topic.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/9/music

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #6,216 of 6,432
Quote:

Yeah that's a complete waste. There's absolutely no reason to up-convert mp3 to FLAC/WAV.

It is not up-convert, it is decompress....and the result for the flac or wav is the exact same file size as ripping direct from CD.  So, if your theory is proven, why is the resulting file size the same, with the same bitrate of the same file ripped by EAC.  You need to do your research, compressed files can be decompressed, lossless files can be compressed, and decompressed to the same original files.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #6,217 of 6,432
Quote:

It is not up-convert, it is decompress....and the result for the flac or wav is the exact same file size as ripping direct from CD.  So, if your theory is proven, why is the resulting file size the same, with the same bitrate of the same file ripped by EAC.  You need to do your research, compressed files can be decompressed, lossless files can be compressed, and decompressed to the same original files.

*Sigh*. Sorry man, you are mistaken. It is up-converting, not decompressing. It is completely and utterly impossible to recover the data lost during lossy compression like that of mp3s. The reason the file size is the same is because you are representing an inferior mp3 file in full 16-bit 44.1hz FLAC but the resulting audio quality is identical to the mp3 that it was created from. You are doing nothing but wasting disk space.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #6,218 of 6,432
Quote:

You don't understand how PCM data works. It's always going to be 1411kbps for a file with a 44.1kHz sample rate and 16 bit bitdepth. Even if the mp3 file being decompressed is 5kbps.

It's lossless files that can be decompressed and be the same as the original. Not lossy. Lossy can sound the same but it will not be the same. That is why it is called lossy.

You need to understand that files with any type of compression are going to be converted to PCM data before being sent to the DAC. The decompression is being done upon playback, there is no need to do it ahead of time.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #6,219 of 6,432
Quote:
Why on earth would you convert a 320kbps file to FLAC? That's just adding additional space for no reason. It's already being converted to PCM data whenever you play it...

All you are accomplishing here is making a file that can't be compressed back to that level again without losing even more data.

You are confusing convert with decompress!  The lossless data is there in the compressed file.....where do you think if goes, the data integrity is preserved!  The file size and playback bitrate is listed in your playback software!

It's not magic, one way or the other.....there are no lost bits in compression and decompression!

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #6,220 of 6,432
Quote:

You are confusing convert with decompress!  The lossless data is there in the compressed file.....where do you think if goes, the data integrity is preserved!  The file size and playback bitrate is listed in your playback software!

You need to do some basic research. Lossy file compression methods are exatly that-- lossy. I.E. data is *lost*. It can never be retrieved after that. The mp3 file does not contain the lossless data. It is gone. Kaput. Disappeared. Lost. Irretrievable. You can convert the mp3 to as many different formats as you want but the data you lost when you converted it to mp3 will never, ever be recovered. Please do some research. We need this thread back on topic.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #6,221 of 6,432
Quote:

It's not magic, one way or the other.....there are no lost bits in compression and decompression!

There are lost bits in lossy compression. That's why they called it lossy.

Only with lossless compressed files you can preserve data integrity.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #6,222 of 6,432
Quote:

You need to do some basic research. Lossy file compression methods are exatly that-- lossy. I.E. data is *lost*. It can never be retrieved after that. The mp3 file does not contain the lossless data. It is gone. Kaput. Disappeared. Lost. Irretrievable. You can convert the mp3 to as many different formats as you want but the data you lost when you converted it to mp3 will never, ever be recovered. Please do some research. We need this thread back on topic.

Meh....just call this the misinformation thread!  I just unsubscribed!

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6,223 of 6,432
Quote:

Does the same as a zip file.....you can unzip a zipped file, or don't you believe that either!  Sheesh!

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #6,224 of 6,432
Quote:

I hope for his sake, and his music library's sake, that he was simply trolling us. Hard.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #6,225 of 6,432
Quote:

You've gotta be kidding me...

Do a little test for yourself: Convert a file to the lowest bitrate mp3 possible. Convert it back to wav. What is the bitrate(SPOILER:1411kbps)? Does it still sound the same as the source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back