Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 28, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5,671 of 6,432
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdKEDkCiLDc&list=PL98B5CB333AD767FE I think I could sleep to this. It's like spaceships, wind chimes, and the beach sounds all rolled into one track. One can imagine this is what it's like to have tinnitus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWXus-F7Ick&list=PL98B5CB333AD767FE This one could hypnotize someone into quitting smoking cigaretts, but start smoking weed.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #5,672 of 6,432
Quote:
more like devil. he cant afford to be an audiophile, but then again neither can i haha

then be a good samaritan and sell ur 280 for a good price to him...he will be in ur debt  forever..think about it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #5,673 of 6,432
I was celebrating Christmas at a friends house and he thought that it would be a good idea to put some music on in his computer. Now i noticed he had some Creative 2.1 Speaker setup. Looked like some 60 bucks cheapos. The subwoofer had a bass booster switch, which i`m guessing was on because all you could hear was heavily distorted bass. It drowned out everything. No midrange, No treble. Honestly it was just torture to my ears. I asked him if he thought his speakers sounded good and i´m quoting him. Yeah it has awesome bass. WHERE`S THE REST OF THE SOUND SPECTRUM?? Best part is that he uses that setup to watch movies also. Some people just don`t get it.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #5,674 of 6,432
Quote:
I was celebrating Christmas at a friends house and he thought that it would be a good idea to put some music on in his computer. Now i noticed he had some Creative 2.1 Speaker setup. Looked like some 60 bucks cheapos. The subwoofer had a bass booster switch, which i`m guessing was on because all you could hear was heavily distorted bass. It drowned out everything. No midrange, No treble. Honestly it was just torture to my ears. I asked him if he thought his speakers sounded good and i´m quoting him. Yeah it has awesome bass. WHERE`S THE REST OF THE SOUND SPECTRUM?? Best part is that he uses that setup to watch movies also. Some people just don`t get it.
rolleyes.gif

eek.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #5,675 of 6,432
Had a rather unexpected thing happen this christmas which definitely fits in this thread.

I visited and spent christmas with my parents like I use to, and had my laptop along with my Hifiman HE-400 & D1 DAC/Amp with me. I've had audio equipment with me before, though HE-400 are my best headphones so far. My mother got a bit curious about he HE-400 and wanted to try them, probably the looks that intrigued her. She listened to a couple of her favorite tracks over Spotify and was truly amazed, kept saying how different it sounds compared to the crappy mini stereo she usually listens to. This made my father curious aswell, so he listened to some Creedence Clearwater Revival which is his absolute favorite band of all time. I could see he truly enjoyed it, and after listening through Who'll Stop The Rain and Bad Moon Rising he took the headphones off and just stated that "this is how it's supposed to sound". Keep in mind neither of them have ever been into audio nor listened to anything particularly high quality, as far as I know.

After this my mother asked if she could use the headphones and the D1 for a bit longer along with my Spotify account and I obviously let her do so. I think she must have sat for over 2 hours just listening to music, apparently she went through most of her favorite songs and then started to re-discover music she used to listen to when she was younger (it was the first time she used Spotify too). So anyways after this, she asked about "that other headphone pair you're going to sell", which is my DT-990 Premium, I had apparently mentioned that in some phone call before. I said I still got them and was planning to sell them after christmas. "If they sound anything like this I'll buy them" she said.. extremely surprised I said that she's going to need a dac/amp too to get them sound right, to which she responded that it's no problem. Later on we decided that I sell my current D1 to them.

So yeah - my parents aparently got into personal audio all of a sudden and I got to upgrade my source
biggrin.gif
Mailed the DT-990's to them and bought myself a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #5,676 of 6,432
Quote:
Had a rather unexpected thing happen this christmas which definitely fits in this thread.

I visited and spent christmas with my parents like I use to, and had my laptop along with my Hifiman HE-400 & D1 DAC/Amp with me. I've had audio equipment with me before, though HE-400 are my best headphones so far. My mother got a bit curious about he HE-400 and wanted to try them, probably the looks that intrigued her. She listened to a couple of her favorite tracks over Spotify and was truly amazed, kept saying how different it sounds compared to the crappy mini stereo she usually listens to. This made my father curious aswell, so he listened to some Creedence Clearwater Revival which is his absolute favorite band of all time. I could see he truly enjoyed it, and after listening through Who'll Stop The Rain and Bad Moon Rising he took the headphones off and just stated that "this is how it's supposed to sound". Keep in mind neither of them have ever been into audio nor listened to anything particularly high quality, as far as I know.

After this my mother asked if she could use the headphones and the D1 for a bit longer along with my Spotify account and I obviously let her do so. I think she must have sat for over 2 hours just listening to music, apparently she went through most of her favorite songs and then started to re-discover music she used to listen to when she was younger (it was the first time she used Spotify too). So anyways after this, she asked about "that other headphone pair you're going to sell", which is my DT-990 Premium, I had apparently mentioned that in some phone call before. I said I still got them and was planning to sell them after christmas. "If they sound anything like this I'll buy them" she said.. extremely surprised I said that she's going to need a dac/amp too to get them sound right, to which she responded that it's no problem. Later on we decided that I sell my current D1 to them.

So yeah - my parents aparently got into personal audio all of a sudden and I got to upgrade my source
biggrin.gif
Mailed the DT-990's to them and bought myself a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus.

thats awesome! must have been a great christmas for you
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #5,677 of 6,432

So yeah - my parents aparently got into personal audio all of a sudden and I got to upgrade my source :D Mailed the DT-990's to them and bought myself a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus.

U see..u helped ur parents to be even more happy..welldone mate..u deserve a bow from all of us headfi'ers :p

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #5,678 of 6,432
My father is into audio but has never had a 'sit and listen forever' reaction. He does jam out to Skynyrd at 120+db when he's here though. 

Mom hasn't cared a lot but has made comments before like 'I wish I had something like that to relax with after work' when listening to some Bocelli. 

I have a feeling my speakers will get more time from my father when he hears them. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #5,679 of 6,432
I let my ex listen to her favourite song with my ESW10's, she actually cried, and asked if she could borrow them to listen to the full album.

She didn't come out of the bedroom for the next few hours of listening.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #5,680 of 6,432
I let my ex listen to her favourite song with my ESW10's, she actually cried, and asked if she could borrow them to listen to the full album.

She didn't come out of the bedroom for the next few hours of listening.

And Now she is ur ex ex girlfriend? :D

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #5,681 of 6,432
I've been listening to a lot of The Byrds lately and find that they sound very good even though they are from the 60's and they're not the Beatles. The Who's Tommy is another 60's one that I'd like to get a SACD copy of at the moment because it's well made recording, but I'm holding out because I get bored of music so quickly and wouldn't get $30- worth of joy out of it. Plus I got CD and record copies of it. It's like any art, you like some of a person's stuff and hate others, though I'm way more open minded than most people. I would find a band someone likes and let them borrow their whole catalogue, only to find that they can't stand the other stuff. I could say that about the Byrds, Beatles, Who and almost anyone. Some albums will just be better when it comes to inspiring people to enjoy your cans. I think that a lot of the new cans are reference or studio designs and will recreate the studio frequences that our parents missed during their music listening life. And if you like bass a lot, you're surely not going to hear all the work that was put into mastering a track. I really like the reviews that people give for Audeze cans, which gives me some more understanding of what people want. I think people could benefit from monitor style headphones with a flat response, just to see how good or bad their favorite music really is. I do believe that most popular artists and producers have something to give us, or they would not be paid so much and so loved by the music industry etc. But I don't think most people actually hear what they are supposed to hear because of added bass or un-proportionate speaker placement or improper EQ settings. EQ is really important in a system and most people could really benefit from a cheap one, no matter how junky a system they have. One of my buddies gave me a disc once for use on a HDTV that you run through the dvd and set up your picture for highest quality. Even my stereo has a program that helps you place your speakers in a room, in turn giving you best possible sound. Then I think, that's what the Geek Squad was created for, to come and set up your stuff so it sounds good. That is until your mom comes and moves stuff around when she is cleaning one day of wants to redecorate. They need a "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" type show for audio setup where professionals travel around and help people get the best out of their audio gear. I'm sure we could all learn a thing or two. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #5,684 of 6,432

So yeah - my parents aparently got into personal audio all of a sudden and I got to upgrade my source :D Mailed the DT-990's to them and bought myself a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus.

Sounds like an excellent holidays for you! Plus, now they know what types of presents you will really appreciate. Win - win!

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #5,685 of 6,432
I'm not sure how many companies do it, but Wyred 4 Sound does a trial program with their uDAC. Though you have to put money down, you don't have to keep it and can taste the product before you settle with it. http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/740669
I asked for this product for Christmas and got one. I couldn't find anything else on the market that could put me into the upper-end of sound card quality and be so small and useful for my whole system. I also did a small review on this site about it, though it's a noobie review if you ask me. I think they must really believe in their product, as I do, enough to have a trial offer like this. It's not like Beats where they are so cheap to make that they can give them to every sports star out there to get their promotion, but it is made in the USA and will cost you nothing in the long run to keep in your house for the trial period, which may be 14 days. They also have the new uDAC HD, a headphone dac/amp that looks awesome with Class A quality. Most people can't afford these products and would never have a chance to try them at best buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back