Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #5,656 of 6,432
I've been tempted to use wireless head gear but I always worried that blue tooth stuff might cause brain cancer or something crazy. Call me really crazy but I'd rather have wires and not worry about charging my headphones every time I want to go out or something. Even with home use, I found that my cheap wired headphones sounds better than the $400 wireless Sony infrared ones my friend let me borrow. Yes I may have a 20 cables traversing my room that I trip over all the time, but what person in their right mind doesn't?

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #5,657 of 6,432
I've been tempted to use wireless head gear but I always worried that blue tooth stuff might cause brain cancer or something crazy. Call me really crazy but I'd rather have wires and not worry about charging my headphones every time I want to go out or something. Even with home use, I found that my cheap wired headphones sounds better than the $400 wireless Sony infrared ones my friend let me borrow. Yes I may have a 20 cables traversing my room that I trip over all the time, but what person in their right mind doesn't?

To be honest..am alsoabit afraid of that soundwaves stuff causing stuff in ur brain..i even turn off most of my stuff off at night..only my refrigirator and the alarm clock stays on..and central heating ofcourse..lolz :p

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #5,658 of 6,432
Quote:

so wires are in fact more convenient (in some ways) than the 'convenient' wireless ones
tongue.gif
 (strictly depends from person to person)

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #5,659 of 6,432
I picked up some JVC FXT90's a couple weeks ago just for the hell of it because I read great things back when they were exclusive to Asian retailers. Anyways I told my dad how much they cost and let him listen, he enjoyed them so I made them a Christmas present, he understands of course because he bought my pair of IE8's from me a while back and was considering the HE-400's earlier this year (just ordered my own :D). My grandpa however was skeptical, "Why the hell would you spend $100 on little things like that?" My dad says listen... "WOW! It sounds like the artist is right there in your ear, that's incredible." All in all, being the cheaper old man he is I know he would never purchase them but I know he understands my obsession now. My dad was never much of a headphone guy but he was in to high end home theater setups. Paradigm setup in the basement is sublime. All in all I can thank my dad for indirectly starting this habit/obsession. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #5,660 of 6,432
I really try to get people into good gear and hifi audio, but what I really end up doing is a bunch of work for them and usually get very little personal satisfaction. My parents would rather just turn on the radio than learn to put all their music on their computer, then on to a player. The music they like is crap anyway to me, but I usually end up doing all the work to get them set up with digital gear and then they never use it and it sits around collecting dust. And kids, you can't talk them out of Beats, they saw the cool basket ball player or kids at school wearing them and now it's bigger than Harry Potter. Try to talk them out of liking those Vampire movies or what ever is cool now and see what happens. It's like trying to convince Rain Man that he can watch Jeopardy later (you people from the 80s know what I'm talking about.) I think we were all like those kids with their beats, and will all be like our parents with technology. And music is a similar issue, like when I try to promote a new band to people. Even if it is very similar to stuff they already like, it's usually a waste of time and they rarely like it. People are stuck on their music and completely happy shopping at Walmart for new music or learning about music on one of those TV talent shows. I don't watch TV very often, but when my parents sit down it's very hard to talk with them, or get them to do anything else but stare at the screen; anyway, they're not going to remember all that stuff unless they write it down. My point: lets keep this site more headphone related and not fill it with what kind of sandwich you are eating or whatever, that's what twitter is for.
devil_face.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #5,661 of 6,432
Got four of my friends to try out a few binaural tracks I got on HDTracks.

First person asked about the price of my Shure SE215 and decided to get one.
Second guy said the airpods sounded much better.
Third guy suddenly turned to the left and had a What look on his face and bought both of the new binaural albums.
Last guy went to the local headphone store with me and got an IE80.

Today is definitely one of the happiest days of the month!

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #5,662 of 6,432
(((The Major Complaint section of my rant.))) Oh no, why did I start thinking about all the stuff I paid good money for with internal batteries that eventually bit the dust and cost less just to buy a new one? And when are lithium batteries going to come in AA or AAA size and be rechargable? My iPod needs updating all the time and should need a battery replacement before it stops functioning, but it "usually" does what I need. I wouldn't mind if my stuff was thicker if I could use AAA to power it. I have a love hate relationship with the iTouch. I used to have a sansa player that had 2 gigs and I carried around rechargable batteries in my pocket with 4 hours play, but now i'm at 32 gigs with about 12 hour play on a charge. If I added a pair of rechargable headphones to my current lifestyle I may end up very discouraged. Maybe parents and grandparents have been down the road so many times that they're discouraged. Downer stuff I know. I just like to hear music sometimes and am sickened at the many times I've converted my 600+ CD's into the wrong format. I know there are a lot of minds here thinking and this rant is to hopefully get creative minds flowing. Remember when you were a kid and you wanted that elmo doll, your parents had to actually get their asses up and go figure out what the hell an elmo is and then get the right one before Christmas morning. But the people that use Beats or Bose aren't producing it, nor will they ever produce anything like it. They are most likely simple people, unlike most audiophiles who are anything but simple. Look at the company Audeze, they're doing what they know is right and good. No plastic or or wireless at Audeze. We all need to start our own Audeze and the world will be a better place.   

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #5,663 of 6,432
I really try to get people into good gear and hifi audio, but what I really end up doing is a bunch of work for them and usually get very little personal satisfaction. My parents would rather just turn on the radio than learn to put all their music on their computer, then on to a player. The music they like is crap anyway to me, but I usually end up doing all the work to get them set up with digital gear and then they never use it and it sits around collecting dust. And kids, you can't talk them out of Beats, they saw the cool basket ball player or kids at school wearing them and now it's bigger than Harry Potter. Try to talk them out of liking those Vampire movies or what ever is cool now and see what happens. It's like trying to convince Rain Man that he can watch Jeopardy later (you people from the 80s know what I'm talking about.) I think we were all like those kids with their beats, and will all be like our parents with technology. And music is a similar issue, like when I try to promote a new band to people. Even if it is very similar to stuff they already like, it's usually a waste of time and they rarely like it. People are stuck on their music and completely happy shopping at Walmart for new music or learning about music on one of those TV talent shows. I don't watch TV very often, but when my parents sit down it's very hard to talk with them, or get them to do anything else but stare at the screen; anyway, they're not going to remember all that stuff unless they write it down. My point: lets keep this site more headphone related and not fill it with what kind of sandwich you are eating or whatever, that's what twitter is for.:devil_face:  
I'll try to remember that. And to hifimanrookie, I did receive my sandwich. An it was delicious :D

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #5,665 of 6,432
Quote:
Got four of my friends to try out a few binaural tracks I got on HDTracks.
First person asked about the price of my Shure SE215 and decided to get one.
Second guy said the airpods sounded much better.
Third guy suddenly turned to the left and had a What look on his face and bought both of the new binaural albums.
Last guy went to the local headphone store with me and got an IE80.
Today is definitely one of the happiest days of the month!

This whole post is inspiring in many ways. I've been buying up used CDs in 20bit and looking through thrift stores for rare Japanese and master recordings for a while now, and I also have 5 SACDs that I am proud about. This all in hopes of hearing quality through the K701s that I've had for a year now. But I've not heard of binaural tracks. I just got a very clean DAC and amp to link on my computer for streaming so I think your recommendation will come in handy. If you don't mind me asking, how much is a good price for downloads or discs in binaural. I'm still trying to figure out DVD Audio.
redface.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #5,666 of 6,432
Quote:
My brother tried my new HE-400's (while standing), got a huge grin and instantly sat down on the floor. "I need to sit down, this is too good."

good...u got a new believer on ur hands
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #5,668 of 6,432
I think I get binaural, which are tracks that are made for headphones I guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1_odyWnSXY&list=PL98B5CB333AD767FE&index=3
I started a kind of joke with one of my friends when he first got his Grado RS1, that when I heard them I pooped my pants a little. But I emphasized the little, as I expected more from the 800- investment. (The joke was intended to mean that when you hear perfection you will poop uncontrollably.:) So maybe it was the music or set up or whatever that took me away from that perfection. But do I think it's ironic that some people use something called "brown noise" to burn in their headphones. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #5,669 of 6,432
Quote:
haha. yeah he hates me because now his headphones (some cheap-ish JVCs) are unbearable. might let him have my HD 280s

poor guy... so ur a sort of messiah for him now..u saved him..u showed him THE PATH TO AUDIOFILENESS  or the path of no return..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back