Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #4,651 of 6,432
Quote:
cant wait to let my friends who either dont beleive in headphones (but bought a 600$ ipod), beleive beats are the best or claim they love music but listen to 7$ earphones. idk if this makes me a jerk but i have a friend with a beats pro who wants to challenge me when i get my akg k550, i told him itll be like beating up a defenceless child ;p.

Hey, I love music and listen with $7 earphones. Like dsan says, it's not about price, it's about compatibility.

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #4,652 of 6,432
Quote:
cant wait to let my friends who either dont beleive in headphones (but bought a 600$ ipod), beleive beats are the best or claim they love music but listen to 7$ earphones. idk if this makes me a jerk but i have a friend with a beats pro who wants to challenge me when i get my akg k550, i told him itll be like beating up a defenceless child ;p.

What kind of iPod costs $600? 
blink.gif

There's a difference between loving music and loving gear.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #4,653 of 6,432
whhad a friend who bought the 4th gen 64 gig when it first came out.she told me it cost around 600, maybe adding additional costs to bring it to the caribbean as well.and i guess nothing is wrong with $7 earphones and im not saying one needs 5000$ equipment but if you love something so much im sure youd be willing to invest $50 to appreciate it more 

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #4,654 of 6,432
I've personally invested quite a bit into it, though I still appreciate music most with the $7 earphones. It was about finding just the right thing for me. But I guess you meant someone who hasn't tried going any higher at all.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #4,655 of 6,432
Let my friend demo my DT 235's. Coming from earbuds I think she came. Another friend decided to demo em and decided to play a song that has 'enough destructive bass to destroy speakers', left him speechless. Coming from lower end beyerdynamics, I could only imagine what would've happen if I let them demo some higher end headphones. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #4,659 of 6,432
Quote:
My 68years old mothers reaction towards dt990 and hd650

-"How much is it?"

-"How come headphones cost so much? you are wasting your money!!"
 (10minutes lecture on how I should be careful with spending money... Oh Mother..)

-(Played Celine Dion who is her favourite singer) "She is such a good singer!"

-(asked what the sound was like through the headphone) "They are comfy. What about the sound? They are normal".

-(changed from 650 to 990) "It sounds more harsh. So what is the difference?"

-(Changed to cheap sony mdr150) "I still don't see anything different. This one is less comfortable".

-(Back to how I should be careful with money)

I still love you Mom.

LMAO!  I just died!  My sister is the same way.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #4,660 of 6,432
I showed my girlfriend my HD 600's, compared to the iPod earbuds she uses, the other day. At first, she definitely thought I was insane, and after, while she still thought I was insane, it made a little sense to her at least. Pretty much the same thing goes for other friends/family who actually try them out. "Wow, these sound awesome! You're still an idiot for spending so much on headphones though". 

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #4,661 of 6,432
Quote:
I showed my girlfriend my HD 600's, compared to the iPod earbuds she uses, the other day. At first, she definitely thought I was insane, and after, while she still thought I was insane, it made a little sense to her at least. Pretty much the same thing goes for other friends/family who actually try them out. "Wow, these sound awesome! You're still an idiot for spending so much on headphones though". 

Same except it was a modded HD558, she thought WOW these are amazing! but i will never spend this much on headphones-

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #4,662 of 6,432
Newsflash! The lion audiophile does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep! Don't even let them listen! 
o2smile.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #4,663 of 6,432
Quote:
Came back about 15 minutes later - she's sitting back in the chair, puzzle unattended, eyes closed, smile on her face - totally lost in the music.

Many people want to rate headphones using terms like "detail", "resolution", "speed", "extension", etc. I'd rate headphones -- subjectively, of course -- by this "close your eyes" method. Maybe a point system?
  1. Do I ever say, "Wow. I have to listen to that again right now?" +1
  2. Do I ever close my eyes and smile when I'm listening? +1
  3. Can I forget completely that I'm wearing them? +1
  4. If I take a nap on the couch, do I have absolutely no fatigue when I wake up? +1
  5. When I'm at work, am I sometimes oblivious to anything but the music (and that stupid PC)? +1
  6. Do I occasionally bounce around in my chair like an idiot at work because the music caught me? +1
  7. Ad nauseum...

Quote:
That's when I really love seeing a reaction - when you know someone close to you "gets it" as much as you do.

That's a music-lover's reaction when the headphones simply vanish, isn't it?

I've saved a lot of money since I decided I was a music lover rather than an audiophile. Unfortunately, I'm still addicted to the best sound. Sorry about that, Mr Wallet, but we just need one more set of headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back