Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Mar 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #1,546 of 6,432

Quote:
That'll end with either the guy fully realizing he screwed up or just call us a bunch of haters. Just the way it is unfortunately.

That's the point. 
dt880smile.png

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #1,547 of 6,432
Got some one to listen to the HD25-1's.
"Wow, they are so clear and detailed for being so small I wasn't expecting that at all. The bass is kind of meh"
Plugged into my Ipod, Plugged into a laptop
"OH WOW, the bass is sooo much stronger now but its still really detailed"
I told him the price and I thought he would drop a duce. but after seeing everything is replaceable he said that's the best deal for a headphone he has ever seen.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,550 of 6,432
Isn't it obvious? Because the Tours have Dre's name on them, they obviously have solid 24K gold tips, unlike all other headphones that are just 24K gold plated... </sarcasm>

Quote:
24k gold tip..buahahahahahahahahahaha

Mar 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #1,552 of 6,432

Quote:
The second needs education about how his beats is overpriced, and there are headphones that sound as good as/better at 1/5 - 1/10 the price. I guess he'd be very impressed with XB-500 at $50.

Nah, it'll still be not enough bass. Because there are other frequencies besides bass in xb-500. So in the overall picture because it'll hear also mids and highs along with bass, it will sound like there is less bass than in the headphone that produces just bass. Thus, it won't be satisfied ;p

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #1,554 of 6,432
XB-700+bassboost.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,555 of 6,432
It depends on the quality of the bass boost.  The bass on the XB700s is really only muddy if you compare it to top tier 'phones.  The quantity is way more than neutral to be sure, but the quality is pretty good.  They've actually got so much deep bass that they open you up to a whole slew of almost subsonic background noise and mixing artifacts.  If you listen to actual recordings as opposed purely synthesized music with them they usually demand high quality production values.  They don't have the detail for you to appreciate all the subtleties in the midrange and treble, but you might otherwise feel a truck pass by the recording studio or people moving large things around backstage on a live album.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #1,556 of 6,432
The wife always bought those Gumy headphones for her iPod, always commenting on my headphones.  She listened to mine sometimes, and eventually asked for some Sennheisers.  I bought her some, and now she's a secret audiophile.  We were talking about how I wanted the 650 but was too cheap, and she said we'd split the cost; get a headphone stand, too.  Haha.  Then we were in the car and she has a junky old Voyager with stock speakers and said, "Ugh, I need new speakers.  These sound awful!" Keep in mind, she was listening to Gumy headphones before me!  Hahahaha.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #1,557 of 6,432
Was in a friends, had my M50s and my friend was like, "Oh those the M50s"
Surprised he knew what they were i said yeah, and handed um over.. He listened for a good half hour while i played some ps3.. His response was all technical audiophile jargon.. He was an auidophile. My mind was blown with what he owened D:
Great day.
Dad's reaction "OHHHH MY GOD. PINK FLOYD NEVER SOUNDED SO GOOD"
Mam's reaction " Meh, i don't honestly listen to music to enjoy these"
Another friends reaction "My beats are better" (we're not too friendly anymore..
tongue.gif
)

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #1,558 of 6,432

Quote:
The wife always bought those Gumy headphones for her iPod, always commenting on my headphones.  She listened to mine sometimes, and eventually asked for some Sennheisers.  I bought her some, and now she's a secret audiophile.  We were talking about how I wanted the 650 but was too cheap, and she said we'd split the cost; get a headphone stand, too.  Haha.  Then we were in the car and she has a junky old Voyager with stock speakers and said, "Ugh, I need new speakers.  These sound awful!" Keep in mind, she was listening to Gumy headphones before me!  Hahahaha.

She sounds like a keeper to me....

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,559 of 6,432
i was at best buy the other day and i was with my younger brother and we were looking for a good pair of headphones. i stopped by the beats by dre stand and told him to try these so he knew why not to get them. i let him try the beats studios with his ipod touch then he tried my shure srh840 and he said he liked the beats better. and i asked why and he said he liked the sound of the beats more for some reason but he couldn't put a finger on it. i really wonder how some people can think this. but when i tried the studio beats i actually enjoyed them even though i couldn't distinguish any instruments. the bass was really powerful but made the sound very muddy (bass was what i enjoyed) and it was a terrible experience. i was listening to rock and i swear i heard no guitars. but at least they didn't make screeching noises and were very playable with an ipod (no amp needed) but i would never buy them. i went ahead and tried the beats pros and plugged my ipod into them. and they were much better then the studios and better built but they distorted way to much and sounded very muddy. i don't know why anyone would spend $400 on these things. i could probably get used hd650s for that price. god some people are stupid. but then again i guess people just want bass and that's all. silly humans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back