Nokia X1 : top notch audio quality for under 60$?
Nov 11, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #46 of 81
How did you get a 5mp unit in the W810i???

Personally I find a camera in a phone very handy. Its obviously another thing to carry and also you can't email photos, or such as easy with a seperate camera. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #47 of 81
Use FS Command or Far manager & you can mod almost anything including video resolution, custom HARDWARE EQ settings or even the complete layout

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #48 of 81
Camera on mine doesn't work, I'm wondering how you changed the camera module. You can't make a 2mp a 5mp. You'd have to change the physical hardware. I'd love if I could do that to mine. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #49 of 81

Quote:
Camera on mine doesn't work, I'm wondering how you changed the camera module. You can't make a 2mp a 5mp. You'd have to change the physical hardware. I'd love if I could do that to mine. 

Yes that is correct. No way for 2mpix to 5mpix. That is why i just mentioned Video resolution. We were able to change it to VGA(640*480) on W900i (By the way it was an AWESOME phone )

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #50 of 81
you may goto esato.com for more info about it. Not sure if they carry all this info anymore.

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #52 of 81
replaced the module. IIRC it was a K850 module.. it's some years ago i did the swap now, but that's how it was done. just fits in. I also installed the supercam driver

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #56 of 81
Just to add an on topic - I just received my nokia 101. it's the same basic phone, slightly less loud speaker, less battery, no side keys (8 key is mp3 next) but a better kepad imo than x1-01

feels insubstantial, but the mp3 player on it is GREAT really puts my old w100i to shame when paired with sennheiser mx880s. the included headset isnt actually bad but on the senns there's a lot more bass than the w100i and the phone is really... musical

you can get silicon rubber covers for the 101, not sure you can for x1-01. i'm getting one for mine. i suspect it will add a lot of tough to the light phone. it doesnt feel flimsy just a bit light. dual sim. torch works ok. i'm thinking i might try to mod a bl5-j 1320mah batttery in, looks like it'll fit for loads of extra battery over this bl5cb 850ma

gawd i love this mp3 player

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #57 of 81
Was pretty dissapointed with the sound quality of my ZTE Blade (Dell XCD35 in India). The sound was extremely thin and honky and this thing had no power to drive my MDR-ZX700s and even Eterna. I ventured upon this thread and bought a Nokia 101, thanks to the comments by the OP and skree. It seemed like a better choice than Clip+ (which retails at twice the price of the Nokia). I have a Nokia 5310XM as well, but it is nearly on the verge of death with even the player control keys stripped out after a long-long life. It will be arriving soon and I hope it lives up to the hype created on this thread
rolleyes.gif

One important point to consider is that both the X1-01 (need confirmation) and the 101 lack a USB connector and bluetooth and the only way to transfer your tunes to these phones is by using a card-reader or another phone.

Head-fi has no soul for squeezing the pockets of a poor grad student.
mad.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #58 of 81
i'm really impressed with mine. it's basic but sounds good. Did your 101 come with the 850 or 1020mah battery? mine is the 850 and the battery life is ok but not spectacular. Looking for a new replacement battery i think with more capacity. it's not bad but i want more battery. I'm sure there are better mp3 players out there but not within close price range of the 101. The last dedicated mp3 player i had was a 128mb creative muvo mk1 (no display) i bought when mp3 players were very new on the market for a scary amount of money.. used phones ever since and this is by far the best I have ever heard... it's the best portable sound i've had in 25 years of portable music.. i'm sure a 400 pound cowon is better but that costs a lot more and isnt a phone

check out nokia cc-1029 silicone rubber cases. i'm getting one for mine. I'm also working on an accessory for mine: a portable charger/boostpack. This phone charges on 5v so is easy to work with. i'm either going to use a PP3 8.6v nimh block, or a small 3S 11.1v lipo pack for more of a charge

edit: if i can sum the phone up, it's a cheap, a touch insubstantial, and basic but good 16gb mp3 player that makes calls and texts on two sims and has an emergency light

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #59 of 81
I ordered it online and will receive it by tomorrow. The website does say that it is shipping with a 1020mah battery. I have some a decent experience with Nokia phones in the past. My 5310 sounded more natural than my iPod classic but lacked in power and there was some harshness to the sound because of the same. On the other hand my brother's 5800XM sounded phenomenal and very warm and full, much much better than the detailed but cold sound of the iPod. Judging by your observations its going to be a very very good deal for the very low price of 1450 INR (about $27).

As you mentioned the fact that it is also a phone is a definite bonus and I have plenty of Nokia chargers and batteries lying around. It doesn't have features like playlists etc which may be a downer for some but I find it particularly charming and old school. like those days of shuffling mix tapes around. And that torch light does come in handy from time to time.

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #60 of 81
I really prefer the MP3 player the way it is. I believe its basicness is key (or at least directly connected) to how responsive the phone remains with a nearly full 16gb uSD card in it. My last phone (w100i) had playlist support and it was the only way i could get it to play properly once there was more than about 5.5gb on the uSD. Plus, I play my mp3s at home most of the time in a very similar way - adding my entire collection to winamp's list, then shuffling randomly through the lot - with the occasional hit of the next track key. I've arranged mine so my uSD has a few songs out of folders, then everything else in folders. This way, those few songs (my 15 or so favourites) come up at the top of the list on the phone and are thus easy to get to, navigate through, etc. I've grouped the other folders by genre rather than artist name that way there are fewer folders so again they're easy to navigate through. My W100i had a camera (so bad i never used it) and i found i missed not having the emergency torch more than i miss a camera built in now.

I've got two cycles on the original 800ma (!!) battery that mine has and i'm really disappointed with the battery life.. it isn't bad but i'm used to more and the non-european versions of the 101, the x1-01 both having far larger batteries is bugging the hell out of me. I almost wish i'd bought the x1-01 with its ugly as sin IMO casing, its keypad that looks fiddly to use, but its far larger battery.

To this end I have been considering chopping my battery tray out a bit to make it longer, and fitting the BL-5J from the X1-01 by wiring it in or swapping my phone's battery plug (they're different) but the way nokia have fitted the 101's front housing looks like it's going to be impossible to get back on if you do manage to get it off. When you get yours, have a little look at the T shaped tab in the top right of the chassis as you look at the back with the battery cover off.. there looks to be another one in the battery tray next to sim2 slot.

I'm finding getting a genuine, high capacity nokia battery that hasn't sat around for ages, for sensible money (ie, significantly less than the phone cost) here in the uk is also impossible. Many phones that take BL-5C have had mod batteries fitted in the past - BL-6C from the N-GAGE for example can be had in 1150ma capacity and is a straight fit into most BL5-C battery trays - it's only difference is it is about 0.68mm thicker than BL-5C. 0.2mm longer, and 0.6mm wider. I just put a spare sim card (0.822mm by micrometer) in my phone between its standard battery and the battery cover and it made the battery tray a slightly tight fit but it did go on. This, and the 1mm or so either side of the bl-5c in my phone tells me BL-6C will fit.

Nokia haven't fitted BL-6C to phones as far as i can see for at least a few years so it's likely that most of the genuine ones for sale on the internet have sat around for some time. Not good. With this in mind, i have ordered a US$6.39 Pisen BL-6C 1200ma (they also make a replacement BL-5J for the X1-01 at 1350ma). Pisen have good reputation for camera batteries, and I believe a few people here have fitted their batteries to Cowon DAPs with good results.

I've got a proper charger that can cycle the battery and tell me its capacity from cut-off to cut-off, just need to throw together some kind of holder for the battery. If it's no good, it was only cheap anyway, no biggie (although i'm poor too) but i'll definitely pop back in this thread and post my results of the mod

I do have a nice (almost) modification for the 101 and X1-01 i've already done - Charging from my desktop pc - i find this easier and perhaps more efficient as my pc is on 24/7 anyway.  My pc is old and i have a lot of USB things plugged into it so i don't want to stress my USB ports, also, USB ports are very current limited and can cause slow charging on phones, so i want to hook directly to the pc's PSU. I don't have any spare plugs that fit the charge socket on this phone so i ordered a USB to nokia charge lead. Someone with a spare old charger or similar could cut a plug off that.. 

Cut USB end off the lead and solder the lead to  the RED (+5v) and BLACK wires of a 4 pin PC molex connector. Feed this through a convenient hole in the back of the pc case so your pc has a nokia charge plug dangling out of it.. i'd advise putting some kind of switch in to avoid any short circuits

Alternatively if your pc case has front mounted USB ports, disconnect the plug for one from the motherboard header, and wire the port directly to 5v from a molex. This is what i did. Now one of my front ports is wired directly to a many amp 5v rail, and i plug my cheap DX charge lead into that. Win.(edit: i just realised i should have left the data + and - connected to the motherboard.. then my mega power usb port would work fully not just for power)

Verdict on 101: Almost perfect but battery life could be better. Like i said, it's not bad.. beats the pants off a smartphone.. but i want more.. it's the talktime that kills it for me.

EDIT: grrr. Nokia have started shipping x1-01 with a 1430ma(!) battery. I want this battery, dman it all to hlel and all that, thats 630ma more than i got :frowning2:

EDIT2: oh.... my.... I LOVE THIS PHONE!!! anyone tried taking a call on a X1-01 or 101 yet with normal non-headset earphones plugged in? IT DOESN'T NEED A HEADSET the mic on the phone works!!! I've never had a phone that did that before.. tiny things, tiny minds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back