Nokia X1 : top notch audio quality for under 60$?
Dec 5, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #61 of 81
wow.. I didn't know that this X1 is that amazing.. I just got this phone like 3 weeks ago for its dual sim function from a shop across my apartment. 

But it didn't come with any micro SD cards, I guess I'm gonna fit one in this evening just to try and see how it goes! 

BTW anyone who wants an unlocked X1-1 from Singapore, I can ship it at cost + regular mail through PM only.

Will check back after I listen to it tonight!!

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #62 of 81
Just plugged in Fantasy and September 320kbps from Earth Wind Fire.. side note : 1430mAh battery.. 

Soundstage : It's "2nd to 3rd row from the front" in your face with the instrument separation well spaced.

Bass : Neutral (no bias). 

Voice : lush.. almooost lazy.. but in a nice way.. 

Highs : can't decide if I like it.. quite laid back too.. might need some more hours of burn in as this is my first time playing back mp3's on this one month old phone.

Problem : 1. doesn't drive my REO's to my desired volume unamped. 2. suspect need some hours to burn in. 3. UI can be better. Designed for playlist playbacks. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #63 of 81
There isn't a playlist function that i've seen, just 'my favourite tracks'.. unless X1-01 has firmware tweaks 101 doesn't. it's best left in shuffle mode. Probably does struggle with harder to drive earphones, my Sennheiser MX880s are fine for it.

the songs i really love listening to through this player:
Leftfield - Phat Planet
Rammstein - Roter Sand, Seeman, Zwitter
Pop Looks Bach (ski sunday theme)
Booker T & The MGs - Soul Limbo
Caravan Palace - Le Caravane Tu Emmene
Fleetwood Mac - The Albatross
Psysex - LSD 
Maxx - No More
Naglfar - 12th Rising
Amon Amarth - Destroyer Of The Universe
Lube - Sestrenka
Jeff Buckley - Satisfied Minds

The 101 I've got excels at electronic music like Maxx, The Shamen, Aphex Twin. Really shows up low bitrate mp3s. I'm having to get my cds out and re-rip a lot of my collection - 192kbps was enough back in the day but a lot of my heavier songs need more now on these excellent players. I am now using 320kbps CBR. never got on with VBR although by setting it high i suppose i could probably keep the quality and save maybe 1mb a track

It does sound laid back. Not as forceful as other players and my senns really accentuate that. Seems very detailed though. Could do with an EQ for me. I find cheaper players that are not laid back distort easily and show up lower bitrate mp3s even more than the 101 does. The first few hours i listened to this player, with my not yet fully burned in senns, i didn't like the sound. It was accurate and well defined, but too restrained.. not enough power in the lows, but if you turned it up to where the bass was acceptable, the treble was so high it made my ears crackle. Got about 200 hours on the senns and about 20 on the 101 now, and the sound has filled out. Sounds great. This is definitely a phone to amplify though, I've not got an earphone amp (although i really want a FiiO micro amp or a cmoybb to play with on this phone) but i am into my speakers a lot and i've played it via 3.5mm - 2x RCA Phono on a couple of different amplified systems now and it is the best phone I have ever heard set up like this. Achieves way more with the amplifier's volume lower, sounds clearer, whoops my old creative muvo, etc

EDIT: The difference, as far as i can tell, between X1-01 and 101 are: X1-01 has a different (not as good) keypad and sidekeys which lock with the keypad so are kinda pointless. X1-01 is slightly larger and more 'blingy' - the case isn't as tasteful as 101. X1-01 speaker is louder. X1-01 has a bigger battery and is more expensive.

I like the cheaper 101 - i think it looks better, but i can't recommend it if an X1-01 is an alternative, purely for its bigger battery and resultant crazy runtime numbers go for an x1-01. I got the 101 because of the above keypad, cheaper, size considerations, and have regretted it because the call time of 6.5 hours (on the 800ma battery) I am finding is only enough for about 3-4 days for me and that isn't enough. I like to charge once a week, tops. I've ordered a replacement 1200ma BL-6C but being as it's a 3rd party battery i'm not 100% sure it will work as it should. If it does, this will be enough runtime for me. If not, it does look like there is enough space inside the phone to chop out the back of the battery tray to make it the 6mm longer needed to fit the BL-5J from the X1-01.

(a few hours later...)
Couldnt resist it. Cracked the case on my 101 open.. it's tight but it can be opened and put back as it was. Doesn't look like the keypad or the screen are easy to change - soldered to the main PCB, or at least clipped in place... but in 14 years of owning mobile phones i've never had to change a screen or a keypad - i guess i'm careful with my stuff or something - so that shouldn't be a problem - they're dirt cheap phones anyway so i'd expect these are a bit more throwaway than phones of old when such components plugged in.

There is space for the BL-5J battery from X1-01 to fit by chopping the battery tray. It's bloody close to the speaker, but it will fit and i dont think it will damage the structural integrity of the phone too much as long as you put the divider back in its new position with some really strong glue like zap-a-gap thick formula. This should allow the scud 'hero' battery 1445ma to fit for slightly more capacity than genuine nokia BL-5J. Up to you how you connect it - the pins are in a different order on BL-5J to BL-5C so you can't just change the connector.. i'm thinking some kind of inline PCB header pin & socket + wires and heatshrink... but that's for the future.. a possible future in which my BL-6C doesn't work :D

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #66 of 81

Quote:
Can you guys recommend an after-market IEM for this phone that can further improve it's SQ? Thanks!

i'm using Sennheiser MX-880 which is a traditional earphone shape the same as the ones on the headset it came with. You want the modern noise cancelling type buds? (i call em canalphones) I've used it a few times with my old Sony MDR-EX35s, which are available for 10 UK pounds if you look hard enough online. They're surprisingly good for their price even being sony's base model canalphone... I actually like the sound more than i do the sound on the Sennheisers, but i can't use noise cancelling earbuds out in public. On the basis of this I recommend you look towards the Sony range for a sensibly priced, but good sounding and reliable pair. There are better earphones out there than sonys but they're a brand i've had really good experiences with over the 25 years i've been buying their products and they do make cheap earphones that sound good. 

Quote:
How is the sound now ye have had it a while?

davidloh's description of the sound stands for me, after about 100 hours of mp3 play. It's accurate and detailed but not very forceful, quite laid back. It's warm, almost lush like david says, but without sounding muddled or fuzzy. I've got a funny feeling that even a pair of low-imp. earphones like my sennheisers would benefit from having an additional amplifier (it really sounds great plugged into an amp) - I really want to run it with the new FIIO amp, but i'm poor so i have to save up or probably more likely just have it like it is. I'm not very experienced with hi-fi headphones and i generally feel i can't describe what i like about the sound very well, only that i do. I manage to pick spots easier on sound i do not like.. lol

i'm using a combination of unknown encoder, various bitrate mp3s, and 192kbps mp3s done back in the days when 128mb was a SERIOUSLY big mp3 player - only attained by the original creative muvo - by me on the blade encoder, also a few 320kbps CBR and VBR mp3s done recently by me with the lame encoder (blade sounded better at lower bitrates for me back then, but lame is better for higher bitrates).

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #67 of 81
Thought i'd put a quick update on the accessories I have found to use with the X1-01/101. I have a few things i always like to have for my phones which i consider complete the package - good earphones is one (senn mx-880 in this case) and i've introduced for this phone a requirement that it can be powered relatively efficiently, although indirectly, by NiMH AA batteries (tried to power it directly from 3x AA nimh - didn't work). For me, this harks back to the 'good old days' when portable music was a cassette player with AAs in it so you could carry as much battery as you could physically carry or ever want.

Just ordered Nokia CC-1029 in black - a soft silicone rubber cover for protection of the Nokia 101 i have. The equivalent product for X1-01 is CC-1021. As far as i can see there aren't any easily available 3rd party rubber cases for either phone - but a good hard google did turn up a manufacturer in china making them for X1-01 but only selling in orders 100+

So it won't be long before we have 3rd party rubber cases IMO. They do help absorb knocks and drops, a good idea. One protected my old W100i from impacts that would certainly have broken it and that cost me 1.99. I'm impatient and want my phone protected so i ordered the much more expensive (9 uk sterling) nokia item from expansys as i had a wishlist that qualified for free shipping there anyway. DONT buy the screen protectors from Bedifol on ebay - they're garbage, dont fit in any dimension, aren't really designed for the 101, they're just sheets of VERY thin plastic film. Cut down a cheap, much thicker iphone screen protector instead.

Still waiting on my Pisen BL-6C 1200ma battery. intmail tracking website is down for me but last i was able to check (2 days ago) it was in the depot in guangzhou. The rest of my order , placed december 3rd, has not yet been packaged, they still haven't received the USB charge cables from supplier yet. But i've got one anyway. The cheap USB charge cables for these phones on ebay - which i presume are very similar if not identical to the ones on Dealextreme, work fine but the connection does break if you wiggle the plug. I recommend them - less hassle to leave the usb charge cable plugged into a computer than it is to find the original charger, plug it in, etc.. 

Emergency AA chargers - a good idea in principle but the 1/2 xAA versions draw rather a lot of current which isn't good for NiMHs particularly the modern low self discharge ones like Eneloop, GP Recyko, Turnigy LSD, hybrio etc. A good search on ebay however, turned up a 3x AA version for about the same price.  Running the numbers that should keep current drain from the AAs down somewhere in the 600-700ma area charging this phone. Making full recharges possible as well as being within spec for the AAs - Better for alkaline AAs too?.

I'd like to hear from someone who has/can use their X1-01 or 101 with full size closed cans, rather than just IEMs or earbuds.. thinking about a budget set like the $28 shipped monoprices or ha-rx700s, or maybe even hd201s.. wonder how good it sounds with such headphones.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #70 of 81
one alarm, but you can set reminders, which also have alarm tones. I don't know how many, sorry.

Phones which have the BL-5J battery as per the X1-01 (nokia 5800 etc) are reknowned for having battery connection issues - they use a different connector to the 101s BL-5C and i believe slight movements of the battery eventually cause the connection to fail. it can be temporarily fixed by tweaking the terminals on the battery, but eventually the battery will fail. 101's keypad is excellent.

my 800ma battery is good for about 6 hours call time, and about 20 hours mp3 playback.. i'm not sure what the base standby time is - nokia reckon 'up to' 600 hours.. for the 1020ma, the numbers are 8hr30 call, 26hr mp3, 768hr standby. X1-01's 1430ma should give about 14hr talk, 36hr mp3, 1032hr standby - these are all nokia's figures

If the Pisen battery I have ordered is good, fits, gets its rated capacity, etc, I would definitely have no hesitation recommending 101 over X1-01. The spring clips to flat connector BL-5C battery uses is tried, tested reliable over many years. 1200ma is enough battery life - in actual fact the 800ma battery my 101 has would be enough if i didnt have a couple of people i speak to daily for at least an hour and i wasn't a beligerent old git who doesn't like having to charge his phone every 3 days.. and if my one had come with the larger india/africa market 1020ma battery, even I would not be looking to change it. The speaker on 101 is pretty pathetic for music, i'd love to know how much better X1-01's is... not an issue for me but might be for you

However, one must ask oneself, Do i really want a base model phone like this;- Nokia announced the X2-02, which is said to use the BL-5C battery, but has a basic camera, video playback functions, etc and should have the decent MP3 player, is dual sim.. It isn't released yet, but is more a normal product than the extremely basic 101/X1-01... a lot closer to the w810i you have now, for example.

pays yer money, takes yer choice.. is extremely high battery life of paramount importance to you, or are you prepared to sacrifice some of that life for a more reliable, smaller, more subtle product with a better keypad? me, i'd go for 101 every time - it fits my needs well. That being said, i'm going to be sorely tempted to upgrade to an X2-02 when that is released.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #71 of 81
Well its a long story basically my phone died as did the cheap phones I picked up as stand in. Didn't really want to spring for an expensive phone at the moment, or an expensive bill. So was hoping to get something cheap for now, than hopefully double as FM radio and music player. Save me carrying a bag load of gear with me to work. The X1-01 or the 101 work out about 30~40% the cost of a new experia mini, so may I should just get that for now. Though I'm not mad on small screen for a smart phone. Its ok on a basic or feature phone. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #72 of 81
have a good search around. my 101 came from portagadgets in malaysia and was about 25 pounds all in (28-30 euros?).. compared to minimum 150 for a xperia mini.. i DO like those xperia minis though i just read the mini pro review... niiiice.. i want one lol

Really don't know what i'd do in your situation.. either the 101 or X1-01 would make a great stand-in/backup phone to sit in a drawer once you've finished with it.. resale value on either would be negligible.. i'd be tempted to go with a 101 in that situation simply because of its reliability on the battery connection, ease of finding replacement batteries, slightly cheaper price and its keypad.

either that or keep the old w810i till you can afford the phone you really want.. bloody tempting to get an xperia mini (pro, in my case) though they do look sweet.. i guess the question there is how long are you going to keep using it, till you get the phone you really want.. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #73 of 81
Jan 14, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #74 of 81
the 1200ma battery is the larger BL-6C size - BL-5C dimensions are 53.05mm x 33.84mm x 5.62mm, BL-6C dimensions are 53.25mm x 33.9mm x 6.30mm.

- it arrived and it doesnt fit, wont be made to fit.. o well was worth a try, was a 3rd party battery. Next try - japod 1100ma bl-5c. I'm thinking of getting a fiio e3 anyway, 9 quid for battery + amp lol + i don't think my earbuds need much amping, but would benefit from a bit.. the e3 might just be simple enough for a wiring idea i've had

i reckon the x1-01 is the better buy seeing as it has a massive battery out of the box. just get in there and wedge the battery in so it doesn't move and bend the connectors

one thing these phones are good for - my old delivery van has a 12 year old factory fitted radio cassette player.. it's the worst car stereo in the world.. sounds AWFUL, chews up the odd tape, radio is garbage.. but connect the 101 up through one of them cheap poundland adaptor cables with 3.5mm on one end and a tape on the other... it sounds tolerable.. listened to a few songs on it yesterday.. lmao.. defies the laws of audiosics.. just building up an adaptor now for a via car stereo carphone for my vehicle and it

i'm on a project with this phone - it has enough juice to power my Sennheiser MX-880s well but i'm finding the bass a bit lacking after my old sony IEMs, and i have to have the phone volume maxed out in public, so i'm finding the treble is so clear and present it's quite fatiguing for my ears.. love the sound so much but i'm finding it hard to listen to for hours on end. I think either x1-01 or 101 is the ideal centrepiece of a portable build with 'simple but effective'  its theme - to that note i am designing a switcher/crossfeed/passive pre device to allow the signal to be split between direct to earphones, or crossfed, and into an amplifier. Then normal earphones plugged in one end, with also just the clip mic and answer button from the nokia's headset plugged in.. also working on shielding  the amp i have picked for this project, a FIIO E3 from the GSM buzz interference.

I've never used a smartphone before - avoided them like the plague.. but that Xperia mini pro is tempting me so much i can taste it 
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #75 of 81
I need to buy a silicone protector such as the Nokia Soft Cover CC-1029 for my friends Nokia 101. Please kindly help me upload a picture/some pictures of the front side of the CC-1029, and the 101 placed inside the CC-1029. The CC-1029 pictures on the website only shows the back side & doesn't show the front side:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cScIWbsTmzsJ:europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/carrying-cases-and-style/covers/nokia-soft-cover-cc-1029+CC-1029&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=safari

BTW: There's a premium ultra-high capacity 2430mAh BL-5C battery that you might want to try:
         http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2430MAH-HIGH-CAPACITY-BL-5C-GOLD-BATTERY-NOKIA-C1-01-/200711893287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ebb5c7127#ht_2464wt_1156
         http://ecellglobal.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=GOLD+2430MAH+BL-5C+BUSINESS+BATTERY+FOR+NOKIA+C2-01&product_id=2023158

Thank you very much in advance.. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back