Nokia X1 : top notch audio quality for under 60$?
Oct 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 81
Just an update on this thread.  I picked up a used SE Zylo this evening, and  am finding it has very good SQ. I'm just using my MX760 buds, I can't compare it with my Clip+ as I can't find that and I don't have the same music on my A818 at the moment. The lack of hiss is very noticeable. FM radio reception is very good, something my clip is terrible at, and almost every mobile I've had, has been bad also. At the moment I'd put it close to ( but not better) to my clip+, and A818 but it doesn't sound like either. Its closer to my favorite the 1Gen Shuffle. But I don't have one of those atm either. I'm going to have to sort out better quality files to test it with though. It has a customizable EQ and presets. I'm not sure it has the fullness of the best players,  it may just be a different colour than I'm used to. But its really showing up the flaws in my MP3's!  Might be tempted to create a few FLACs to test with it. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #34 of 81
Just an update on this. After a bit of listening, I'd have to say its hiss free with the right source material. Its notch below the clip+ and A818 but not in quality, but in fullness, if thats the right word. Quality is great. You could probably get closer using the EQ I haven't tried.

A couple of problems with it though. Because theres no 3.5mm jack, and it uses the sony fast port. You can't listen and charge at the same time. Which kinda defeats the point of using it for a work MP3 player which I wanted. 2nd problem is this phone seems to have a design flaw in the slider and the cable breaks, cutting off all signal to the screen which goes intermittent then black.  After a couple of weeks my one has suffered this failure. I can get it fixed under warranty, but really its a bit pointless if its that unreliable. 

Its a petty really because its a nice phone, but a low end phone otherwise. Bit with those problems no ones going to be interested in the good points. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #36 of 81

Quote:
I wished somebody can hack it and make it accept 32 microsd cards and play FLAC files, in rest is a great phone/mp3 player.

Impossible. :)

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #37 of 81
on the x1 when the mp3 player is in shuffle mode, does the next track button make it shuffle properly, or just go to the next song in the playlist? i have a se spiro that does the latter and i prefer the next track button to be a significant shuffle. I just have one massive playlist - like my own radio station where i like every song! it is very annoying, and the phone is garbage anyway i'm seriously considering an x1-01 and some yuin pk3s to replace my well used sony ex3s as a nice upgrade

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #38 of 81
This review suggests you can't browse by folder. Maybe its a different firmware though. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=CXc1wA0Dx_k

He also says this about the order

Update: 08 Aug 2011

Music Player Sorting: I finally understood the basis of how the phone is sorting the music albums. I previously thought it was alphabetical order. It was not always alphabetical and I thought this was because of a bug. Now I finally understood that it is based on the order you loaded music into the memory card(probably based on the date the folder is created on the memory card). If you load albums in the order “R,S,A,1,Z,Q, N, L”, that is the order you will get while scrolling through the albums.

The only way to reach your favourite album is to remember the order you have loaded the albums. Ridiculous of Nokia. I can’t help but pity Nokia and the programmer who came up with the logic. Phone can support upto 16GB memory and tt is practically not possible to remember the order you have loaded the music in the huge collection the memory can hold. since I had around 2.5GB of music, I copied all the music backto PC, refreshed the folder, selected all folders, copied back to the memory card. Tedious, but now I could browse the music library alphabetically. If I want to browse alphabetically and load music every week, I will have to copy to pc and back every week.

http://www.vishki.com/v1/nokia-x1-01-dual-sim-mobile-unboxing-and-review/280

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #39 of 81

Quote:
on the x1 when the mp3 player is in shuffle mode, does the next track button make it shuffle properly, or just go to the next song in the playlist? i have a se spiro that does the latter and i prefer the next track button to be a significant shuffle. I just have one massive playlist - like my own radio station where i like every song! it is very annoying, and the phone is garbage anyway i'm seriously considering an x1-01 and some yuin pk3s to replace my well used sony ex3s as a nice upgrade

Whats the sound like on the Spiro?

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #40 of 81
Not great. I had a W810i before and the W810i was better by far - like comparing a proper hifi product to a cheap chinese usb stick type mp3 player circa 2004. The spiro's sound isn't bad for a very cheap phone but it lacks warmth, depth,  a much needed proper graphic equalizer, and it struggles with higher volume settings which are needed to produce a good level of sound even on sony MDR-EX3 noise cancellers. It also really struggles with 16gb memory cards being full of music - once you get past 6-8ish gb the keypad becomes unresponsive enough that instead of a double press of the A key giving B, it would give AA, when trying to get to an artist or track by keypad. I find it does NOT like adding lots of songs to playlist either - crashes.

other than that it's an unreliable (crashing) piece of slider junk with a mediochre at best battery life, an infuriating TrackID feature that seems to come on all the time wanting internet connection, infuriating shuffle function, slow, clunky performance. The camera is a joke. No flashlight. Speaker performance is ok but it's neither loud or nice sounding. Definitely not recommended.

What i want is - say i manage to do the work around that the guy in that article said - copy everything at once so it does it alphabetically...

MP3 player on the X1-01 in shuffle mode - Next track key is pressed. Would that just jump to the next track in the list alphabetically, or to a completely different alphabetical track - let's say from Johnny Cash to Rammstein then to Aphex Twin?

the spiro, given a press of its next key, would simply go to the next track from Johnny. If the track is left to finish, IE no next key press, it would shuffle to rammstein. This is ANNOYING lol

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #42 of 81
Got mine for 35$
This cheapo is terrific. Using Shure 750DJ , compared to clip v2 RB, X1 betas clip in every respect but loudness & interface
The interface is really ancient & extremely basic on X1 though. Very few controls & options.

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #43 of 81
W810i for music!! seroiusly?? I had this walkman phone for almost 2 years. It does have that warm & smooth sony sound but it clips at max volume (that is already very low) & hisses like anything.
The portable speakers that came with it sounded nice though.
At that time there was a mod program "Far Manager" that could be used to alter sound drivers for SE phones & many people had used it with very good results. I tried it on SE K750i & ended up damaging it :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #44 of 81
I'm not using the w810i for music. I'm using because my other phones broke. The w8010i sound quality is pretty poor relative to todays standards. The FM reception is also poor. The Zylo was light years better. As is a Clip+. But its the only phone I have working at the moment. 

I'm not sure I could live the with basic nature of the X1. I'd be more inclined to do with a C1-02 or a X2. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #45 of 81
i thought the W810i sounded pretty good. mine was quite modified (custom housing, 5mpx camera), shame it died. I detested the fastport anyway.

According to what I read, the Nokia 101 is the same as the X1-01 but has a nicer case and better keypad - and is minus the side buttons, which i think are a bit unnecessary anyway being as on the x1-01 they dont work in keypad lock mode. We'll see, as i just ordered a 101 and a pair of Sennheiser MX-880s

i'll be testing the 880s vs my sony MDR-EX35s on my w100i spiro, my friend's w810i, my nice seperates hifi and my old computer with the gen1 NVIDIA Soundstorm sound system on it (nforce2) before the 101 gets here - the senns are coming from amazon, the 101 is coming from malaysia so might be a bit delayed

i'm new to hi-fi portable gear, so i don't have anything better to test the new devices against - but i've been into speaker based hifi for many years so i know what sounds good to me and what doesn't.

i'd like to know how much of a difference the little startech 3 way 3.5mm to stereo earphones & mono mic adaptors make to the sound quality. 

if the sound is good on it, and the dual sim function works properly, i personally think one of these in one of those silicon rubber casings for protection is the ultimate little portable device - unless you really must have a camera built in (why? the camera on the w100i is so bad it isnt worth using, but i miss the torch more than a camera) but if i need a camera, i take a camera.. lol

edit: well the sennheisers came just now.  got them playing. hope they improve with use. They're definitely less warm and less deep than the ex35s. accurate sound though they're a bit harsh just out the box. This is with the w100i spiro as a source. definitely dont need any more amping 

always preferred this kind of earphone sans foam (prefer the fit and lack of seal) but i'll give em a good demo with foams

tracks listened to so far: Cypress Hill - Hits from the b**g, Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar, now playing Adiemus - Adiemus. Will get into the metal later i'm giving them a wide variety of songs. Bit of rammstein or megaherz i think followed by some dimmu or amon amarth :) cant wait till the 101 gets here if this is what these new phones sound like with my old piece of garbage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back