Nokia Lumia 920 sound quality?
Nov 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #32 of 143
Hmm,...I guess the louder volume, better overall sq, and Dolby (which I personally won't use) and fully customizable EQ aren't improvements? This is now equal to the iPhone IMO. I'm waiting to see if GSMArena agrees.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #33 of 143
Quote:
So still its the iphone that really cares for quality in the first place. Though it hurts to find not any alternative.

The only thing that separates the iPhone 4/4S from some other handsets is the volume output and a black background. A friend and I did a blind A/B test iPhone 4 Vs the Note 2 and the Note 2 actually came out slightly ahead (against both our expectations). Naturally volume difference is a factor when not volume matched, however Root users for the Note 2 can fix that at the kernel level. Also the Note 2 has a few other advantages - standard type of USB audio implementation and works with may USB DACs/amps (I use it with my RSA Intruder and also Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII), has expandable storage, plays FLAC natively, and doesn't require iTunes for library management or sync.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #34 of 143
Yeah those are points worth noting but I still wonder why won't we get to enjoy our hp ports. I think the beauty of all these android interface multimedia devices are somewhat compromised in the name of portability and a cumbersome setup to overcome the shortcoming. Though its still anyday better to have the option for expandibility in various ways. Users like us would reap benefit of that always.

You see but we must not encourage to overlook the hp ports in future devices coz that will only going to defeat the primary purpose.

I'm still in awe with Apple to see them constantly deliver in that regard with every product release of theirs. A reasonably good hp port and the option for external devices as well. But of course lets see what is being done with that lightning port eventually.

I really am not anymore bothered with that everlasting catching-up game. Come on it's time enough to bring the real deal. Surely it's not impossible.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #35 of 143
Quote:
For Serotonin: Were you able to test the USB OTG cable yet with the Lumia 920?

I don't see a response, but I did test my USB OTG cable with my 920 and FiiO E17. No dice.

Quote:
I actually got mine today. One thing that bothers me is that the only lossless I can play is WMA which is fine I guess. Flac & Wav lossless doesn't work, wont show up in the player. 

It does not really get too loud without an AMP which is sort of expected I guess...then again, I did expect more from Nokia, sound is clean though, no distortion very clear bass even with E7 pumped up all the way to max volume + phone to max volume. 

Without an amp, meh ... with amp ... not bad at all. Clean sound, good bass reproduction. Unlike with other devices, when you cap out the phone & amp on sound, you get distortion due to double amp, you do not get that with the 920. 
It kind of sounds like Ipod > lod > amp. 

Trying to find a better player for wp8 though, stock players are never really all that. 
Did find some players, but they are really focused on streaming from cloud / computer with cache so you can listen to your music even when you are not around a signal.

EDIT: I am going to see how this does with E11 once I charge it up, E7 is usually more rounded, also will dig up my OTG cable & see if E7 will work with USB OTG cable & Lumia 920.

I'm going to echo this experience. I connected my 920 to my FiiO E17 using the headphone jack to AUX and it sounds terrific. No distortion whatsoever. I even cranked the gain on my amp to 12dB and my ears just take the pounding! Very interesting hardware this phone has, the sound is very clean. Who needs a LOD with the 920??  :D  I'm curious what's under the hood from a teardown.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #36 of 143
Here's a tear down in (I believe) Polish: http://www.windowsmania.pl/dyskusja-ogolna-232/troche-wnetrznosci-czyli-lumia-po-otwarciu-843/

Can someone translate?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #37 of 143
Quote:
Here's a tear down in (I believe) Polish: http://www.windowsmania.pl/dyskusja-ogolna-232/troche-wnetrznosci-czyli-lumia-po-otwarciu-843/
Can someone translate?

Google does it for you.  http://bit.ly/RIQMUg

Edit: The site is good but it doesn't show what DAC is inside.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #38 of 143
I'm probably going to get the Lumia 920, although I already have an iPod Touch 5g. Output impedance is the main problem with phones for me, since I use a 12 ohm CIEM driven directly from my DAP so an ohm of any higher than 2-3 distorts the FR and bass. I haven't experienced hiss with the iPod Touch 5g although hiss is also a problem with a lot of other non Apple smart devices... it seems like Apple is the only big manufacturer who actually cares about sound quality. Either way, I'm sticking to an iPod for audio. SQ wise I haven't heard better from an ordinary consumer DAP.

I'll do some listening tests when (or if) I get a 920.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #39 of 143
The new iPod touch 5G actually sounds excellent. I want one myself,...and I'm keeping my phone as well!!! :wink:

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #41 of 143
Lossless on a portable is a waste. You won't hear any difference in SQ, and it's just a space hog. 

Oh, BTW, there's also another phone worth considering. The HTC One X+ is EXCELLENT!!! And you don't need to use the BEATS Audio crap either,...64GB of SMEXYNESS!!!

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #42 of 143
Lossless on a portable is a waste. You won't hear any difference in SQ, and it's just a space hog. 

Oh, BTW, there's also another phone worth considering. The HTC One X+ is EXCELLENT!!! And you don't need to use the BEATS Audio crap either,...64GB of SMEXYNESS!!!

Lossless on mobile isn't necessarily a waste, from my Note 2 via USB audio into my RSA Intruder then W3000ANV/T5p its as worthwhile doing lossless as it is from my desktop. Depends on your use.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #43 of 143
Lossless on mobile isn't necessarily a waste, from my Note 2 via USB audio into my RSA Intruder then W3000ANV/T5p its as worthwhile doing lossless as it is from my desktop. Depends on your use.

For the normal listener via hp out it's useless. Paired with a desktop rig is another matter altogether. I'm speaking of portable, not DOCKED, application.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #44 of 143
Quote:
For the normal listener via hp out it's useless. Paired with a desktop rig is another matter altogether. I'm speaking of portable, not DOCKED, application.

You don't appear to have read my post that carefully.

First, I did say "depends on your use", so that covers the 'normal listeners' you're talking about. Second, mine is not a docked solution, is perfectly portable.

I only commented to illustrate that your blanket statement about lossless and portable use is not completely true.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #45 of 143
You don't appear to have read my post that carefully.

First, I did say "depends on your use", so that covers the 'normal listeners' you're talking about. Second, mine is not a docked solution, is perfectly portable.

I only commented to illustrate that your blanket statement about lossless and portable use is not completely true.

No, instead your opening the door to a debate that's raged on for quite some time. I said what I feel is the case, and that's that lossless on a portable is a waste. 99% of the population can't discern the sq difference between lossless & lossy files on a portable. And there is no USB host functionality on the windows phones either. I stand by my statement that lossless on a portable is a waste. And BTW: amping and lossless on a portable = louder volume, not better sq. And you get the option to drive more demanding iem's/hp's.

Please don't continue the discussion that has no ending,...because this one doesn't. Search the forums,...you'll see exactly what I'm referring to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back