Nokia Lumia 920 sound quality?
Apr 11, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #136 of 143
I don't hear it on my 920 - I have only ever played mp3/320 on it, can't get the damn thing to 
play lossless! 

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #137 of 143
  MoliPlayer can playback FLAC. Look for it on the Windows Phone Store
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/moliplayer-pro/19ea6d3e-e3d9-401d-b30a-f6471811fe08

VLC is coming in a few months, too.

I purchased that molyplayer althought that i'm not using it.
Just to support the guys over there.
IMO its not a useful audio player.
Its designed to watch something... videos. not audios.
And the screen is not vertical, its horizontal.
Not useful on the go!!

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #138 of 143
Is it just me guys? I definitely hear garbled sound in my Lumia 920 when a song fades out. It's hard to describe but on very quiet sounds there's this clicky effect as if the audio file was 8 bits instead of 16. It's not smooth. Compared to Nokia N9, 920 sounds very bad! I've tested in on lossless WMAs and high quality MP3s and the effect is still there.
Yes, until today. I have no issues with it. I'm currently using Spotify until the free subscription (6 mos) expires. VLC is out in the store but it doesn't work. I'll wait for the update then test it. Question, what is the best amp for the 920? Or a dac + amp?

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #139 of 143
Yeah, I'm curious about how VLC is going to sound as well regarding those artifacts.
I've since switched to a 930 and it has the same effect only it's less pronounced. Strange really. I'd expect them to behave the same way because I thought it was only software. If it's hardware that's doing that it won't be so easy to fix for them.

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #143 of 143
They do indeed sound good, subjectively. If they didn't have this dithering problem (lack of dithering when playing low level audio) then it'd be even better.

The funny thing is that my personal belief in superior audio produced by high-end players never faltered until recently. I was bored and took a friend's NW-ZX1 for a thorough listen. Instead of messing with hi-res audio files I simply fired Spotify on both devices, Sony's player and Lumia 930, set the quality on both to maximum (on a premium subscription) and compared the results. 930 to my surprise sounded much more lifelike and there was more presence in the sound. Sony while sounding very good came off less detailed and bland. Now of course this is all very subjective, but it goes to show that the difference in audio quality is not all day and night as I previously imagined it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back