Noise Isolation for a Senn lover?
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

donbeadle

New Head-Fier
Greetings, first time poster here. 

I was a huge fan of my Sennheiser 555s, and now I'm head over heels with my 598s. Unfortunately, my office has become increasingly noisy and my beloved 598s are losing the battle against this racket. 

Can anyone recommend a pair of headphones that offer similar character and sound quality as these models, but with superior noise isolation, preferably for less than $200? I'm not opposed to some change in character, mind you, such as stronger bass presence, but these models are my starting point from which I know I am satisfied. From what I've come to understand, one must sacrifice sound quality for isolation when moving from open to closed. With that in mind, I was hoping an experienced community such as this could help me mitigate this loss : )

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 18
The Creative Aurvana Live, Denon D1001, Denon D1100, or the Denon D2000. =)

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 18
it hasn't really got any bass to speak of (though with EQing it's possible to change that) but the HD-250 is a solution that remains within the sennheiser family, and they have exellent clamping force.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 18
You can now get custom IEMs starting at under $200.  I would do that if you want isolation.  Unless you don't like putting things in your ears.  M50 is great but it has a different sonic philosophy.  You might consider the Senn HD25II if you can handle on ear.

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 18
The M50 is a great headphone, but it's a little livelier than the Sennheiser sound signature.

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 18
Agh, I wish I could go try these in a store! Can any of these match the comfort of the Senns? The over-ear / velour combo is soooo nice.

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 18
I used a pair of ATH M50s for a couple months for listening at the office, and while they were at least decent phones acoustically (a bit warm, with good isolation), they weren't terribly comfortable and the cup material didn't hold up at all. I'm typically really good with delicate equipment, but the pair I had just destroyed itself by being on my large head.

I replaced them a few months ago with a pair of UE700s, and now that I've gotten used to having them in my tiny ears, I am finding them better in every respect. My model is below their custom fit models, yet the isolation is good enough that I completely missed a fire alarm while playing some Norah Jones. They are a bit on the cold side, but depending on what I'm listening to, detail and immersion aren't a world of difference from my amped 555s at home.

That being said, UE700s are tiny and delicate. Most of the complaints for UE is that the cord breaks at the jack for those that strain it. If you're sitting in a cube like me, that shouldn't be an issue. I wish someone had suggested a good in-ear when I was here reading up on phones to wear at work. Would've saved me what I spent on those M50s.

If you have a little more to spend, I understand q-Jays are comparatively good, too.

Edit: ATH M50 are not nearly as comfortable as Sennheisers, especially the velour models.

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 18
The Senns are about as comfy as it gets.  Next up would be my ESP950 because they are feather light and never touch my ears.  They have cheap pads which is the only downfall.

Mar 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Alright I think I may have to write off the M50's on comfort alone. I don't think that after years of these velour Senns that I could downgrade in that regard.

I was hoping IEMs might be the solution, but after purchasing a pair last week I was reminded that the feeling is too invasive and the sound too tight for me. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Denon AH-D1100s. Last chance to sway me :D

If they isolate like D7000s they are the worst isolating closed phones I've had.  Don't like the HD25? 

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 18
I haven't tried the HD-25. What turned me off from these is the combination of people complaining about how painfully tight they are, and the pleather mixed with on-ear design (if I'm understanding the pictures correctly). I tried the Bose OE and even after a week of stretching them the clamping force was still painful after only a few minutes of use, I think I'm rather sensitive to this. I also fear that the combination of pleather and on-ear will get too hot for me. I enjoy the sennheiser sound signature but I think over-ear may be necessary for me. Even these 598s were a little painful at first.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 18
The D1100 is a good choice for comfort.

They definitely don't have the isolation of the M50's, but they pretty much just sit around your ear. If someone screams at you you'll hear it, but to block out distant voices and such from the office it should be fine.

I didn't find the M50's too uncomfortable, after stretching them out over a small bookshelf speaker (some hardcover books work too), but they will cause more sweat because of the tighter fit.

Good luck!

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 18
Have you heard of the Fischer Audio FA-003?
Good isolation, comfy after you stretch em out, and has a pretty neutral sound sig.
Great value for around $170-180 new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back