NOBLE Savant Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
Sep 20, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #320 of 928
First real day listening today. what a pleasure. Plenty of detail so far and tight. Very neutral, but engaging. I was emotionally involved with a few cuts from Jazz as well as pop male and female voices. Does it dig deep? I didn
t really play anything with much energy under 40HZ. Very little really has much info in the lowest octtaves. Standing bass in jazz and classical music will, but all too often listeners are expecting lowest level info that just isn't always there. What is there on my high end system is there, but not as powerful or as detailed. I can't believe that any iem will give me that. I have listened to teh highest JH iems and they didn't give it to me the way my system at home can either. It gives me decent size, scope of a 3 D presntation, which is what I expected for an iem. I have been told how 'pretty' they are or how awesome. I do love the look, lol. I'm using the single flange tips. Any suggestions on tips would be greatly appreciated. They aren't the most comfortable, but they aren't falling out.

Overall, I am liking them a lot and not regretting getting them. I do wonder how good they'd be if they had a bit better bass, but I also don't play that much music with heavy bass when on the go.

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #321 of 928
Has anyone used the Geek Out V2? If so, is it worth going with the bigger battery in the Plus and then what about the Infinity upgrade for the extra digital setting and amp setting? Also checking out the Shanling M2 DAP to be released.

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #322 of 928
Currently listening to the V2 with a balanced cable from Ted's Headphone Lounge  http://headphonelounge.com

It's awesome.  The V2 doesn't have a battery.  The V2+ add's the battery, and ability to connect straight to a iOS/Android device.  If I was doing it again I would probably go for the +.

I don't think the Infinity is necessary, as the lo/high gain settings covers all of the volume range I would want to use.

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #323 of 928
  Here are my impressions of the Savant. Sorry for the late post.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-savant/reviews/14051

Thanks for joinng the tour!

Your comparisons are informative and helpful:

Quote: http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-savant/reviews/14051

Comparison

AKG K3003i

These headphones are really well balanced, fairly neutral with the neutral filter and found them to be way better than the Shure SE846 tonally. But these fall short when compared to the Savant. The Savant was much more clearer and the highs are better than the K3003i. The Savant falls short again in the in sub bass department compared to the K3003i. Overall the K3003i is better balanced across the entire frequency range compared to the Savant. K3003i's are similarly easy to drive from almost any source. The soundstage is very much similar between the K3003i and the Savant.

JH Audio Layla

The soundstage is wider compared to the Savant and the lows and mids are a pleasure to listen to. Thanks to Jerry for introducing the bass adjustment system in the Layla. I can go from complete flat to bass head heavy as per my preference. The bass and sub bass completely blows the Savant and also from my memory the K10s. Where the Layla's fall short is in the treble section, but the Savant outshines there.

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #324 of 928
I have the Noble Savant Australian tour unit here with me for about 4 hours.

Using DX50 with FLAC 16/44 files (will try other sources eventually)

Moving straight past the packaging and accessories I've seen before demoing other Noble products.

I find Savant sounds quite good, comfortable / balanced across the lows/mids/highs, with a little sub-bass extension absence however, improved bass quantity than I remember N4 which had a little too much early sub-bass roll-off for me. Savant's tuning is considerably closer to what I'd pass as reference type signature with just a hint of warmth around the mid-range making them non-fatiguing - suitable for long listening, the mid-range positioning is also quite balanced, maybe slightly forward. The detail and clarity levels are satisfactory however I still consider hearing IEM out there slightly cheaper that may reveal a little more with less energy, however, this may come at a cost of a more aggressive presentation and early fatigue. 

Trebles well aligned with the lows/mids, sounds safe and in no way offensive imo. I can recognize straight away the tuning of Savant is stable and 'audiophile' correct, there's not much its doing wrong. Little to no vocal sibilance, safe highs, that ever so hinted amount of mid-range warmth makes them suitable for long listening. Separation is accurate, soundstage adequate. its just a safely tuning IEM without much to criticize besides those looking for some extra bass extension. From my experience, the low-end is quite normal for something putting across this balanced presentation, or at least not out of an average from what I've heard.

I'm also recovering from some left ear issues, I need to take it easy atm, these impressions should be regarded from low listening levels, opening up on volume levels won't be possible at the moment. Put it this way, in the reality of natural selection usually when I home audition IEMs I take a listen, get a grasp then enough of the time I feel "meh",  then the IEM sits in their box or I only listen to get the impressions out and review up. In the case of the Noble Savant I keep being drawn back wanting to listen more. That alone is an excellent first reaction. 

I'll be around. Thanks to Noble and dmarc0 for inviting me demo the Savant.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #325 of 928
  I have the Noble Savant Australian tour unit here with me for about 4 hours.

Using DX50 with FLAC 16/44 files (will try other sources eventually)

Moving straight past the packaging and accessories I've seen before demoing other Noble products.

I find Savant sounds quite good, comfortable / balanced across the lows/mids/highs, with a little sub-bass extension absence however, improved bass quantity than I remember N4 which had a little too much early sub-bass roll-off for me. Savant's tuning is considerably closer to what I'd pass as reference type signature with just a hint of warmth around the mid-range making them non-fatiguing - suitable for long listening, the mid-range positioning is also quite balanced, maybe slightly forward. The detail and clarity levels are satisfactory however I still consider hearing IEM out there slightly cheaper that may reveal a little more with less energy, however, this may come at a cost of a more aggressive presentation and early fatigue. 

Trebles well aligned with the lows/mids, sounds safe and in no way offensive imo. I can recognize straight away the tuning of Savant is stable and 'audiophile' correct, there's not much its doing wrong. Little to no vocal sibilance, safe highs, that ever so hinted amount of mid-range warmth makes them suitable for long listening. Separation is accurate, soundstage adequate. its just a safely tuning IEM without much to criticize besides those looking for some extra bass extension. From my experience, the low-end is quite normal for something putting across this balanced presentation, or at least not out of an average from what I've heard.

I'm also recovering from some left ear issues, I need to take it easy atm, these impressions should be regarded from low listening levels, opening up on volume levels won't be possible at the moment. Put it this way, in the reality of natural selection usually when I home audition IEMs I take a listen, get a grasp then enough of the time I feel "meh",  then the IEM sits in their box or I only listen to get the impressions out and review up. In the case of the Noble Savant I keep being drawn back wanting to listen more. That alone is an excellent first reaction. 

I'll be around. Thanks to Noble and dmarc0 for inviting me demo the Savant.

Looks like we'll be seeing another one of those awesome reviews from yours truly? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #326 of 928

Looks like we'll be seeing another one of those awesome reviews from yours truly? 
biggrin.gif

Yeah its pretty good, would be my favourite from the previous Noble line up I've heard. its not only about Savant being technically sound or stable, I believe that's only half of the story. Once you get an IEM tuned accurately the hardest part is making it put across an ambience or nice character, one you can feel in the music. Savant has this and portrays it really well.

Feeling music rather than just hearing it, an IEM should make you forget about any tuning errors or obvious flaws then take you 'into' the music. Savant can do this.

Nice track with Savant and Hum Pervasion.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #327 of 928

Yeah its pretty good, would be my favourite from the previous Noble line up I've heard. its not only about Savant being technically sound or stable, I believe that's only half of the story. Once you get an IEM tuned accurately the hardest part is making it put across an ambience or nice character, one you can feel in the music. Savant has this and portrays it really well.

Feeling music rather than just hearing it, an IEM should make you forget about any tuning errors or obvious flaws then take you 'into' the music. Savant can do this.

Nice track with Savant and Hum Pervasion.

I can totally relate to that.

EDIT:

I would also like to add that the word "cohesion" is used a lot nowadays, but the Noble Savant really has it. It brings the elements together very nicely with good harmony. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #328 of 928

I can totally relate to that.

EDIT:

I would also like to add that the word "cohesion" is used a lot nowadays, but the Noble Savant really has it. It brings the elements together very nicely with good harmony. 

Yes, cohesion is a great word for it, or seamless, though the idling levels I use atm cannot test completely, for all I'm aware the treble might step out of line etc at higher volumes because I'm being very gentle. But its all these things we're mentioning you (should) encounter in higher performing IEM, they draw the picture why one would want to upgrade. Sometimes spending $1000 (for example) isn't about a next level experience or double speed down the highway, not from my experience. its all these little tasks like accuracy, less flaws, precise separation which form a larger picture of the music which lower tier gear doesn't display. Little tricks up their sleeves...

In another note, I was informed a Savant is someone (or something) which may be lacking in one way or have a disability (maybe low driver count?) however is tremendously gifted in another way. The movie 'Rain Man' was also brought to my attention. Maybe that's what Noble had up their sleeves, or at least some food for thought.

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #329 of 928
WIKI:
"Savant syndrome is a condition in which a person with a mental disability, such as an autism spectrum disorder, demonstrates profound and prodigious capacities or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back