NOBLE Savant Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
Sep 26, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #348 of 928
Received my Savant few days ago, due to work commitments, could only spend some quality time with them today.

This is not going to be a detailed review or detailed impression of the Savant frequency responses, rather, sharing my experience with my favorite acoustic guitar live performance album, “Friday Night in San Francisco” by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucía, through the Savant and the Noble PR (P mode).

Album: “Friday Night in San Francisco”

Further details of the album can be found here: http://www.allmusic.com/album/friday-night-in-san-francisco-mw0000097398

What I look for in terms of experience from this album, is the realism of the live performance (as if, I am in the concert). Comfortably sitting on my couch, closing my eyes and let my ears and imagination do the rest when listening to the magic created from the guitarists techniques (drumming guitar tops, strumming, bare thumb plucking, palm mutingtremolo pickinghammer-ons and pull-offssweep pickingshreddingvibratos and glissandos.)

Savant and Noble PR (P mode) experiences

Source: 24 bit/176.4kHz Flac > AK100 > Chord Hugo > Savant from one of the Hugo 3.5 mm headphone jack and Noble PR from the other Hugo 3.5mm headphone jack

Note: the Noble PR (P mode) impedance is around 240 ohm while the Savant is around 30 ohm, thus, had to adjust the volume of the Hugo to ascertain comparable level of listening volume.

Performances from both IEMs sounded alive and realistic, with the Savant having more musicality and subjectively more natural sounding to my ears, probably due to less fatiguing tuning; on the other, the PR (P mode) felt a little bit more transparent and airy.

The perception of where I was sitting in the “concert”, with the Savant was the front row with the guitarists playing in front of me (the stage, level to where I was sitting); while, with the PR (P mode) it felt the guitarists where playing on slightly elevated stage.

Imaging of the crowd cheering, it might be strange, but what makes this album so realistic to me is the crowd cheering. Try listening the last minute of the 1st track (Mediterranean Sundance/Rio Ancho), you will probably understand what I am trying to say
bigsmile_face.gif
. Both have good imaging, with cheers coming from left/left back and right/right back; however, felt the PR (P mode) had bigger sound stage/distance.

One last thing, which I think it is important, is that the Savant performance sounded more balanced and consistent on any level of volume I was playing, especially at lower decibels. On the other hand, the PR (P mode) sounded warm at lower volume, while at higher volume it sounded brighter and brighter (more fatiguing).

Final thoughts

I would like to reinstate that, this post is not meant to provide any definitive judgement on the Savant. Instead, sharing my subjective experience with you.

Nevertheless, I have to be honest to you. Before the Savant were delivered to me, I was worried that, sonically speaking, the Savant and the PR (P mode) were going to be too similar. Now, after performing some A/B comparisons, they are both keepers.

Wished the Noble PR were not discontinued by Noble Audio, so that more people could experience them. I regard them as unique, in the Noble Audio family, metaphorically speaking, If my custom K10 is the father and the Savant is his baby boy, the PR are twin little girls [considering that both the P(ure) and R(eference) modes are brighter sounding than the K10 and Savant].

Cheers
Simon T. 

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #349 of 928
Got my Savant at long last. Received them via Gisele Flower (Aid2Hearing UK). Had placed a commission during the birthday sale. So was $640ish  ([$600 base + $200 for Wizard design] - 15%).  It cost me 50 pounds for the forwarding service (ideal for EU buyers that are scared from customs ^^).

Hmm not very convinced by the storm box. It's smaller than a Peli 1010, but I don't like the latch and the pressure wasn't ideal, it's not enough to make it fully closed.
I'll keep my Peli for secure carying, and a tiny softcase for my daily commuting.

Is it normal the card isn't filled with my info? would've been nice to have them engraved on my card. I doubt a pen would work on that card. Maybe if I use those CD marker pens.
Would've been great to have it already made, for a more premium feel. But it's just a card in the end right :p

I tried my best to lobby for a gold color signature like I've seen on another Univ Wiz model but it's ok.

I'm glad the glitter is only visible when under strong lighting.

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #351 of 928
Received my Savant few days ago, due to work commitments, could only spend some quality time with them today.

This is not going to be a detailed review or detailed impression of the Savant frequency responses, rather, sharing my experience with my favorite acoustic guitar live performance album, “Friday Night in San Francisco” by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucía, through the Savant and the Noble PR (P mode).

Album: “Friday Night in San Francisco”

Further details of the album can be found here: http://www.allmusic.com/album/friday-night-in-san-francisco-mw0000097398

What I look for in terms of experience from this album, is the realism of the live performance (as if, I am in the concert). Comfortably sitting on my couch, closing my eyes and let my ears and imagination do the rest when listening to the magic created from the guitarists techniques (drumming guitar tops, strumming, bare thumb plucking, palm mutingtremolo pickinghammer-ons and pull-offssweep pickingshreddingvibratos and glissandos.)

Savant and Noble PR (P mode) experiences

Source: 24 bit/176.4kHz Flac > AK100 > Chord Hugo > Savant from one of the Hugo 3.5 mm headphone jack and Noble PR from the other Hugo 3.5mm headphone jack

Note: the Noble PR (P mode) impedance is around 240 ohm while the Savant is around 30 ohm, thus, had to adjust the volume of the Hugo to ascertain comparable level of listening volume.

Performances from both IEMs sounded alive and realistic, with the Savant having more musicality and subjectively more natural sounding to my ears, probably due to less fatiguing tuning; on the other, the PR (P mode) felt a little bit more transparent and airy.

The perception of where I was sitting in the “concert”, with the Savant was the front row with the guitarists playing in front of me (the stage, level to where I was sitting); while, with the PR (P mode) it felt the guitarists where playing on slightly elevated stage.

Imaging of the crowd cheering, it might be strange, but what makes this album so realistic to me is the crowd cheering. Try listening the last minute of the 1st track ([COLOR=333333]Mediterranean Sundance/Rio Ancho), you will probably understand what I am trying to say[/COLOR]:bigsmile_face: [COLOR=333333]. Both have good imaging, with cheers coming from left/left back and right/right back; however, felt the PR (P mode) had bigger sound stage/distance.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]One last thing, which I think it is important, is that the Savant performance sounded more balanced and consistent on any level of volume I was playing, especially at lower decibels. On the other hand, the PR (P mode) sounded warm at lower volume, while at higher volume it sounded brighter and brighter (more fatiguing).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Final thoughts[/COLOR]

I would like to reinstate that, this post is not meant to provide any definitive judgement on the Savant. Instead, sharing my subjective experience with you.

Nevertheless, I have to be honest to you. Before the Savant were delivered to me, I was worried that, sonically speaking, the Savant and the PR (P mode) were going to be too similar. Now, after performing some A/B comparisons, they are both keepers.

Wished the Noble PR were not discontinued by Noble Audio, so that more people could experience them. I regard them as unique, in the Noble Audio family, metaphorically speaking, If my custom K10 is the father and the Savant is his baby boy, the PR are twin little girls [considering that both the P(ure) and R(eference) modes are brighter sounding than the K10 and Savant].

Cheers
Simon T. 

Nice to know it's ok to have both Noble variants. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on them. I certainly agree with your comparison.

Got my Savant at long last. Received them via Gisele Flower (Aid2Hearing UK). Had placed a commission during the birthday sale. So was $640ish  ([$600 base + $200 for Wizard design] - 15%).  It cost me 50 pounds for the forwarding service (ideal for EU buyers that are scared from customs ^^).

Hmm not very convinced by the storm box. It's smaller than a Peli 1010, but I don't like the latch and the pressure wasn't ideal, it's not enough to make it fully closed.
I'll keep my Peli for secure carying, and a tiny softcase for my daily commuting.

Is it normal the card isn't filled with my info? would've been nice to have them engraved on my card. I doubt a pen would work on that card. Maybe if I use those CD marker pens.
Would've been great to have it already made, for a more premium feel. But it's just a card in the end right :p

I tried my best to lobby for a gold color signature like I've seen on another Univ Wiz model but it's ok.

I'm glad the glitter is only visible when under strong lighting.

Congratulations mate and excellent design choice. That's one of my favourites from the Wizard design releases.

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #352 of 928
SURPRISE UPDATE:

Two more Savant tour units arrived down under! Thanks to John and Brannan, our tour participants will be able to hear these amazing IEMs sooner than expected.

The universal Savant is going to Western Australia and will be reviewed by our good friend @fnkcow.

The second surprise is a Wizard Design universal Savant! @Loquah will get the pleasure of kickstarting our Melbourne tour.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #353 of 928

It is normal for universal products not to have personalized ownership cards

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Sep 28, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #355 of 928
Picked up the Melbourne tour Savants today. Impressions coming soon w comparisons to K10 as well.

Great news! I'm still trying to choose between the Savants and the K10 so I'll be looking forward to the comparisons!
Cheers.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #357 of 928
I've spoken to dmarc0 about my Savant demo period. 

Its floating around the forums I have injured my left ear recently during an ER4S removal accident - this doesn't appear to be healing anytime soon. I'm on courses of antibiotics to get an infection under control however the main issue still remains underneath that. After the tour unit Savant arrived despite using my own tips - 2 hours later my ear flared up with the infection. So, we're going to merge my initial impressions into a mini review to get something up this week for Noble in basic form, then possibly swing a Savant back past me when I get past this.

Its a real shame because of the previous Noble lineup I heard Savant was certainly my favorite.

Also, please just because of this announcement lets not change the threads direction into "H20 get better thread"

I"m working on it and any thoughts can be sent to me via PM.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #358 of 928
Thanks for your time and efforts Luke. Your first impression of the Savant already highlights the masterful tuning of this IEM. I'm confident that your mini review is worth the read...

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #359 of 928
For those who are wondering what a "SAVANT" is, here's a visual representation of a true "savant". Thanks to my favourite aussie car mod duo. I'm quite curious what the wizard FullCircle thinks...

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/hpb2Him9CUo[/VIDEO]

You can skip to 40:35 to get right into it. Enjoy!

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #360 of 928
I'm listening to these at a far higher volume than I listened to the N6. Trying to work out whether that's because of the tips I'm using or the comparative lack of bass (which results in turning up the volume to compensate). Or are they far less sensitive having fewer drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back