No kidding...This is the Ultimate Tweak!! The Audio Desk System
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #196 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However you call it: Vibration reduction is a highly likely scenario (independent of the audible effect it may have)

I disagree, I really don't believe that vibration reduction is highly likely. Precisely because I think most CDs come pretty well made already, well round and concentric.

The company making the device should show (verifiable) numbers indicating what the variance and distribution are about those construction metrics in standard CDs, and how much better the device leaves those metrics in the CD after the treatment. If they haven't done that, (provide evidence instead of simply words,) then they are speculating as wildly as the rainbow foil which respect to what each device does respectively.

Then there is of course the issue of whether whatever changes in those construction metrics they can achieve does really reduce vibration and to what extent, and if it does have any measurable effect on CD playback. But first things first.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #197 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. Apparently all you need to sell an eccentric product is speculation, a doctor, and some random numbers.

You forgot audition -- apparently of inferior importance for some people. But indeed I don't need numbers for that.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #198 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, I really don't believe that vibration reduction is highly likely. Precisely because I think most CDs come pretty well made already, well round and concentric.

I disagree on my part. During ripping with EAC, every CD makes an individual noise, obviously depending on its vibration behavior. Some are really loud.

Quote:

Then there is of course the issue of whether whatever changes in those parameters they can achieve does really reduce vibration....

Reducing mass on the circumference will automatically reduce vibration in any case -- as stated earlier --, that's not hard to imagine.

Quote:

...and does have any measurable effect on CD playback.

That's indeed still open to debate and a case for listening tests -- if possible without any bias. (Edit: I see you wrote «measurable», not «audible»... which is of greater interest for me.)

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #199 of 262
Quote:

You forgot audition -- apparently of inferior importance for some people. But indeed I don't need numbers for that.

You need the placebo effect though.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #200 of 262
Quote:

Reducing mass on the circumference will automatically reduce vibration in any case

Not necessarily. You can reduce mass in the circumference and produce a non concentric CD which has higher vibration than the original, even if with slightly less mass in the border. That's why the numbers matter. Is this device capable of modifying the CD so that it really ends up more concentric and round than the originals, always? Under what tolerance levels does it accuracy fall?

It would be interesting if the device actually checked for the original roundness and concentricity and wobbleness of the CD, and measured how it did and showed those numbers, and in some cases suggested that the trimming wasn't required. Interestingly, this isn't done at all.

Tire alignment in a car starts with first checking whether the alignment is required, isn't it?

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #201 of 262
Quote:

Reducing mass on the circumference will automatically reduce vibration in any case -- as stated earlier --, that's not hard to imagine.

That's not true. By reducing the amount of mass around the circumference, you lower the moment of inertia of the object. Moment of Inertia, I = ΣMR², or the sum of the every point mass times its distance squared from the center of the object. By concentrating the mass more towards the center of the disc, you lower its inertia. This means it takes less force and energy to to cause rotation or wobble. If this is hard to imagine, think about when you hold your arms out when trying to balance. You raise your moment of inertia so a small, unbalanced force is less likely to cause you to fall.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #202 of 262
Quote:

That's not true. By reducing the amount of mass around the circumference, you lower the moment of inertia of the object. Moment of Inertia, I = ΣMR², or the sum of the every point mass times its distance squared from the center of the object. By concentrating the mass more towards the center of the disc, you lower its inertia. This means it takes less force and energy to to cause rotation or wobble. If this is hard to imagine, think about when you hold your arms out when trying to balance. You raise your moment of inertia so a small, unbalanced force is less likely to cause you to fall.

You seem to mix up vibration with wow and flutter. Reducing the mass on the outside border of a CD will most likely reduce its proneness to vibration, though.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #203 of 262
Quote:

You seem to mix up vibration with wow and flutter. Reducing the mass on the outside border of a CD will most likely reduce its proneness to vibration, though.

This is a perfect example of bringing turntable terminology into an area where it has no application. Wow/Flutter/Vibration/whatever you want to call it doesn't change the fact that we can test with 100% validity whether or not the finite set of data being read from the CD (and passed to the DAC) is indeed the exact same finite set of data we want read from the CD.

--Chris

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #204 of 262
Quote:

Not necessarily.

Yes, but there will be very few exceptions, if there are any at all. I'm not interested in debating the need for numbers and the absolute evidence of the pretended vibration reduction. It's just funny how you can equate a logical scenario like this with rainbow foil with no imaginable physical effect.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #205 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a perfect example of bringing turntable terminology into an area where it has no application.

No, I'm not doing that. You must mix me up with somebody else.
tongue.gif
Moreover you forget jitter -- but that wasn't my concern.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #206 of 262
Quote:

It's just funny how you can equate a logical scenario like this with rainbow foil with no imaginable physical effect.

There is a difference in how outrageous the claims from each company can be with respect to what their devices can do. Yet, lack of evidence is lack of evidence. They are in the exact same bag as far as that goes.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #207 of 262
Quote:

They are in the exact same bag as far as that goes.

That's an extremely subjective and (purposely) biased rating, if you ask me. So why am I not interested in trying Rainbow Foil?

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #208 of 262
Quote:

That's an extremely subjective and (puposely) biased rating, if you ask me.

Well I didn't ask you
wink.gif
But it isn't biased at all. It's simply that neither one has provided evidence supporting their claims. There is no bias or subjectivity in assessing that.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #209 of 262
Quote:

The vibration is caused by high frequency wobble. Are you going to back up your statement with logic and scientific principles, or are you just going to say the equivalent of "reducing the mass on the outer portion of the disc will reduce vibration because you reduce the mass on the outer portion of the disc?"

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #210 of 262
Quote:

The vibration is caused by high frequency wobble. Are you going to back up your statement with logic and scientific principles, or are you just going to say the equivalent of "reducing the mass on the outer portion of the disc will reduce vibration because you reduce the mass on the outer portion of the disc?"

His point was that you're saying it might cause vibration without saying anything about what that vibration does, if anything. Wow and flutter are real effects in the analogue world. People seem to be demonising CD vibration without actually qualifying whether CD vibration matters at all when it comes to reading accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back