No hard Budget headphone recomendation...
Mar 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shanek248

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys.

A friend of mine is looking for a set of headphones. He has no hard budget ... within reason.

He will be spending 10 hours a day with them on his head listening to music. (Spotify Mainly). He is a fan of Noise Cancelling and doesn`t want sound leakage.

Due to the amount of use they will get he`d like a very comfortable set of headphones. 

They will be used on planes quite regularly also so compact is a plus.

Any recommendations?

He was looking at getting a set of Beats. The executive ones or whatever.

Id love to point him towards a nice set of headphones thatl blow those beats out of the water. Shouldn`t be hard considering he basically has an open budget.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 13
No sound leakage = no Audio Technicas.  They are notorious for leaking but sound amazing otherwise.  The only phones that I have that meet that criteria are my JVC DX-3's but they've been discontinued for some years now.  I'd say any decent set with velour padding like Beyerdynamic but a closed type and go from there.  You will get a lot of opinions on this question so let's just sit back and enjoy the show!

popcorn.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 13
Well, if he needs good isolation and great comfort I'd say look at the Maddogs from Mr. Speakers. They are great at isolating and can be worn all day. Put a good desktop amp with them and you're in business for a very reasonable amount of money. Of course the sound signature will blow the beats and bose right out of the water. 
size]

They are rugged and can travel well also but are full sized. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 13
Matt. Interesting recommendation! How much are they? Does anyone know if they deliver to Ireland?

Isolation and comfort are very important. But sound is obviously a biggy too. So is there any other recommendations out there?

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
How about a Denon D7000?

They offer a fun yet accurate sound that won't expose the flaws in the poor audio quality of Spotify.

They don't leak very much sound and are extremely comfy, I also easily spend 10 hours some days with them.

They leak a ton of sound for a closed back, I wouldn't recommend them. Mrspeakers Mad Dogs would be a good choice although they need an external amp. Maybe the DT770 Pro, or DT880 Pro. You could also look into the more portable headphones such as Sennheiser Momentum, AKG 550, V-Moda M100.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
They leak a ton of sound for a closed back, I wouldn't recommend them. Mrspeakers Mad Dogs would be a good choice although they need an external amp. Maybe the DT770 Pro, or DT880 Pro. You could also look into the more portable headphones such as Sennheiser Momentum, AKG 550, V-Moda M100.

The D7000s are closed and don't leak very much at all. The Mad Dogs would be a terrible choice for Spotify's 160-320 kbps.

Furthermore if the OP is considering the Beats they're looking for bass.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 13
Look at the Sony MDR-1RNC I hear that they are really good......
In the head-fi holiday gift guide it was really well recomended......
Plus they seem to be really comfortable as well as good noise isolation......

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
This is the first time I've ever heard that the D7000 doesn't leak

I didn't say it doesn't leak, I said it doesn't leak very much. Trust me it gets my wife's approval, so it mustn't leak that much! 
tongue.gif

In fact I think the T50RPs I had leaked more, I don't know if the MadDogs close the ports?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back