No bass on SR-71B
May 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nuwidol

1000+ Head-Fier
I got an SR-71B a few weeks ago & have been listening to it SE until a few days ago. I have never experienced the change between a SE & balanced set up personally but from all the reading I've done they always said it adds bass quantity & quality & texture etc plus the improved imaging.

Thing is, I'm not getting any bass coming through my SR-71B. Using my JH13s the sound is very thin & the bass has no impact whatsoever. The sound feels very lacking. I actually get more bass straight from my iPod (or any source) & bypassing the amp completely.

To me, the RSA house sound is thick & warm (I've had SR-71A, Hornet & Tomahawk) & doesn't sound like this. Even EQ'ing can't bring the impact back.

Do I just need to burn in the balanced out some more or do I have a problem?

Thanks.

May 27, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
I got an SR-71B a few weeks ago & have been listening to it SE until a few days ago. I have never experienced the change between a SE & balanced set up personally but from all the reading I've done they always said it adds bass quantity & quality & texture etc plus the improved imaging.

Thing is, I'm not getting any bass coming through my SR-71B. Using my JH13s the sound is very thin & the bass has no impact whatsoever. The sound feels very lacking. I actually get more bass straight from my iPod (or any source) & bypassing the amp completely.

To me, the RSA house sound is thick & warm (I've had SR-71A, Hornet & Tomahawk) & doesn't sound like this. Even EQ'ing can't bring the impact back.

Do I just need to burn in the balanced out some more or do I have a problem?

Thanks.

Sounds like you have a problem somewhere. The 71B has very strong bass, that is balanced and works well with my JH13 pros or the HE-6, too very different types of phones. I am trying to think how you might have something hooked up wrong. Any images?

May 28, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 11
I'll try & get some images up later.

I've tried it with different sources & IC's too though. Its the same on low, medium & high gain. I also noticed that switching to balanced in no way doubled the sound output of the amp. It might of added a couple of DB but it might not of even done that.

May 28, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 11
I would contact Ray. He may need to take a look at the amp because this amp has plenty of good controlled bass. 

May 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 11

Please make sure to flip the input toggle switch on the back panel toward the SE when using SE or balanced input when balanced signal is been used,
Not doing that will reduce the quality of BASS in SE & the balanced won't sound right.
Please make sure your files are LOSSLESS, Never use MP3 compressed files.
Your sources must have line out, this means you will never use the headphone jack of any source with the SR-71B.
Ray Samuels

Quote:
I'll try & get some images up later.

I've tried it with different sources & IC's too though. Its the same on low, medium & high gain. I also noticed that switching to balanced in no way doubled the sound output of the amp. It might of added a couple of DB but it might not of even done that.

May 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Please make sure to flip the input toggle switch on the back panel toward the SE when using SE or balanced input when balanced signal is been used,
Not doing that will reduce the quality of BASS in SE & the balanced won't sound right.
Your sources must have line out, this means you will never use the headphone jack of any source with the SR-71B.
Ray Samuels

I definitely meet all these requirements Ray.

I've been messing just now with the stock cable & balanced cable. The (stock) SE cable on my JH13s is actually louder than the balanced (Moon Audio Silver Dragon) cable. The balanced output sounds slightly cleaner though.

Am I going to have to send this back to be looked at?

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

I agree that in principle that if someone wishes to get the most out of equipment at this level, they should use lossless source files.  However, I routinely listen to high bitrate mp3 files with my SR71b and they sound better than they have ever sounded from other portable/transportable systems (including the requisite amount of wonderfully presented bass).  

Some may argue that mp3's should never be used with audiophile intentions....and that's fine....but there's nothing special (IMO) about the SR71b as compared to other amps that excludes the enjoyment of a well encoded mp3.    

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Thought I share the same story here.

I purchase SR-71B sometime in May 2011 and was using it every other days.

I am not writing this to discourage but hopefully to get an answer so bare with me pleaseeeeee :)
And believe me I will be purchasing other products from RSA once I figure out my problems...

So my setup is pretty much what Ray recommended lossless, I even have balanced cables, 18awg iphone 4 to sr71b etc.

With my Audeze LCD2, I've been playing classic, female vocals, heavy metal, pop, rap, r&b, jazz, acoustic... you name it.
However I hear no differences.

Bass, trebles, noise level, quality, and quantity the same, seems like every music I play through iPhone 4 is identical with or without SR71b.

So far all ALO cables, sr71b, audeze headphone have the same number of hours burn in (approx 80 hours).

Anybody here in the same situation as me and have overcome the problem ?

I just emailed Ray hopefully he can guide me or have my sr71b looked.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #11 of 11
Interesting read - I believe in the quality of Ray's amps - so I'd be interested to know how you figured it out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back