Nixon Whips???g
Jun 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

IgnantChief

New Head-Fier
Thinking about getting the Nixon Whips, wicked sick looking headphones.  My main question is are they better than the Ipod stock headphones??  Those are really the only headphones ive ever used.  Also, are there any headphones similiar to the Whips (around $50) that are better??

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 12
Wow, my definition of 'sick' must be really outdated because:

I am at loss for words. Honestly, if you're after the minimalist look I would recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-ON3 "ONTO". For sound there's the Senn PX100 (also comes in white) and Koss PortaPro for that 'retro' look.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Haha those look great! I think they should take a page from Skullcandy's manual, and make them with gold aluminum foil! And don't forget the fake bullets on the headband!

Anyway, you might also want to take a look at IEMs. Those are the ones that go inside your ears. Cheap legends include Meelectronics M9/M6/M11, JVC Marshmallows, and Soundmagic PL30.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 12
I can't imagine a company that specializes in attire and surfwear would know anything at all about sound quality. These might actually be worse than Skullcandys. Who knows though, I can't imagine any head-fier would actually buy these. In my opinion those would probably not be a good buy. There are hundreds of reputable companies that make incredible headphones at the same price range, and look much better lol. Also trust me on this one, nearly all reputable companies that produce cans in this price range absolutely blow ipod buds out of the water in terms of sound quality. Ipod buds are actually overpriced in my opinion. For their lack of a sound stage, refined bass and sharp fatiguing highs I would say they're worth about $10 rather than (how much are they like $30?). You can get MetroFi 170s for $40 and those would just continue to whip the ibuds. The Ibuds would be bent over and defiled. Here's my suggestion.

-Create a thread asking for recommendations for your price range. Include the type of music you listen to, how you will use them (out of ipod etc.) You will receive answers from people that know alot more about IEMs and on ear headphones than I do. My experience is with full sized cans.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 12
I can pick up a pair of headphones from the dollar store that look less flimsy.

Just throw $13 at a Koss KSC75. I guarantee they'll sound better. At least going by the review of a Skullcandy user who says their sound is unimpressive:
Quote:
sound quality- Nothing to go bragging to your friends about

The "Bottom Line" says it all. Or rather, says nothing, so even they couldn't think of a redeeming quality.
Quote:
[size=1.5em]Bottom Line:[/size]
Whatcha listening to. Whatcha listerning to. Whatcha listening to. Whatcha listening to.

Not Nixon Whips.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 12
This is an old thread by the looks of it. have you guys tried the whip yet?

for what they are they have a pretty **** good sound stage, very clear sound through the mid range and treble, depending on the track they can be lacking in bass better on better quality mp3s.

distortion when you really turn the volume up. 

i bought these puppies for running, and they do a great job. they stick to your head, pump out decent sound that my old iphone buds would never do and nicer to use than my shure inner ear headphones for running. if i could wear my beyers i would but... no.

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
This is an old thread by the looks of it. have you guys tried the whip yet?

for what they are they have a pretty **** good sound stage, very clear sound through the mid range and treble, depending on the track they can be lacking in bass better on better quality mp3s.

distortion when you really turn the volume up. 

i bought these puppies for running, and they do a great job. they stick to your head, pump out decent sound that my old iphone buds would never do and nicer to use than my shure inner ear headphones for running. if i could wear my beyers i would but... no.

I'm glad someone whose actually reviewed them replied. I recently found a pair that'll come to about $18, and although I already have some nice headphones, I'd like to have them just for walking around, not to mention $18 isn't going to break my wallet. Would you recommend them at this price?

I'd also use them on my Sansa Fuze+.

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm not an expert either but from what I can tell, it basically means muddy, boomy mid-bass and not much else.

Quote:
Oh, and here's the chart they supply you with. I'm no expert, so if someone could interpret it for me, that'd be great.

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 12
For the record, I have not heard the Nixons, but if you like the way they look, take a look into the AIAIAI tracks - around $60 and sound pretty darn good for being "fashion" headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back