NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #602 of 1,648

Can you or someone explain what a Modi Multibit “sounds” like and why that is specifically something that complements the Piety such that it seems universally recommended ?

Why is a “neutral” DAC like the Modi + or a Topping not a better fit to let the Piety sound shine, uncoloured by the DAC, if one thinks the DAC makes a significant difference to the sound.

I had one, it was nothing special so far as I was concerned. It was paired with a Woo WA6 tube amp, it didn’t do anything that a Mojo, Gryphon or a standard Modi did with the Woo. I suspect because the sound was far more influenced by the tubes. I think the same is true of the Piety.

I also connected it to a Heresy. Still nothing special, the combination sounded kind of dry and harsh after the WA6 or ifI Diablo.

Dec 9, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #603 of 1,648
Can you or someone explain what a Modi Multibit “sounds” like and why that is specifically something that complements the Piety such that it seems universally recommended ?

Why is a “neutral” DAC like the Modi + or a Topping not a better fit to let the Piety sound shine, uncoloured by the DAC, if one thinks the DAC makes a significant difference to the sound.

I had one, it was nothing special so far as I was concerned. It was paired with a Woo WA6 tube amp, it didn’t do anything that a Mojo, Gryphon or a standard Modi did with the Woo. I suspect because the sound was far more influenced by the tubes. I think the same is true of the Piety.

I also connected it to a Heresy. Still nothing special, the combination sounded kind of dry and harsh after the WA6 or ifI Diablo.
I have owned in the past and still own many pieces of Schiit audio gear. I had an Yggdrasil OG, still have a Modius and currently a Bifrost 2/64. I like Schiit as a company, their business ethics, the fact they try to keep everything American sourced and built, and their products sound fantastic for their price. I enjoy the synergy of my Bifrost with the Piety, it sounds somewhat more organic and less digital than a typical delta sigma dac, and i would imagine that the Mimby2, when and if released would be a great pairing also. A couple other people recommended it and I agreed. I dont think a person with a limited budget and limited experience would go wrong with it. Sorry if you were triggered, it was not my intent...

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #604 of 1,648
I've kept a close eye on Jason's thread, it is very very likely that the Modi Multibit 2 is coming next week. Due to shortage of DSP chips, it will be a single run for now, more are not expected until mid 2023. How many there are in that single run I cannot say. I expect them to last a few weeks but that may be wildly off in either direction.

I'm comparing a Fulla 3 and a Modi+ as DACs with my Piety and HD650 now. Both work splendidly, I cannot tell them apart yet.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #605 of 1,648
I have owned in the past and still own many pieces of Schiit audio gear. I had an Yggdrasil OG, still have a Modius and currently a Bifrost 2/64. I like Schiit as a company, their business ethics, the fact they try to keep everything American sourced and built, and their products sound fantastic for their price. I enjoy the synergy of my Bifrost with the Piety, it sounds somewhat more organic and less digital than a typical delta sigma dac, and i would imagine that the Mimby2, when and if released would be a great pairing also. A couple other people recommended it and I agreed. I dont think a person with a limited budget and limited experience would go wrong with it. Sorry if you were triggered, it was not my intent...

I an not even remotely triggered, just curious as to why the multibit seems to be widely recommended.

A lot of guys here have a lot more experience than me and have used a wider range of equipment.

My own experience with the multibit was nothing special and I was not interested in waiting for the new one, paying a lot more for it over the Modi +.

Perhaps I simply don’t listen intently enough to hear the differences.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #606 of 1,648
My own experience with the multibit was nothing special and I was not interested in waiting for the new one, paying a lot more for it over the Modi +.
I find the multibit DACs Schiit makes work best with acoustically created music (classical (me!), jazz (less me!), and maybe classic rock(still me!) then delta sigma DACs do. I found something grating about D/S DACs with that type of music - even expensive ones. Those MB DACs give a better sense of space for whatever reason, space which doesn't exist in electronica written directly to digital files.

For more electronically created music, I think the differences are harder to hear. I don't tend to listen to that as much as, again, something about it grates on me.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #607 of 1,648
I an not even remotely triggered, just curious as to why the multibit seems to be widely recommended.

A lot of guys here have a lot more experience than me and have used a wider range of equipment.

It might have something to do with the entire chain and the type of headphones others use. My Piety was DoA so I only got to spend an hour with it before sending it back to Christian. I had it paired with an RME ADI-2, while outputting to a HD650 and it sounded very pleasing to my ears. Lots of detail, no digital glare but a sort of sweetness to the overall sound. On the contrary, I do think my Hifimans, which are more neutral / bright pair better with the megaburrito filter + R2R tech of the BF2 and Jot 2, where the warm DAC + warmish amp helps smooth out the ringing at higher frequencies. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #608 of 1,648
Comparing to modi+ ( current version) and multibit, multibit is more neutral and less bass slam. Multibit less harsh on upper end… overall more neutral and better mids.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #609 of 1,648
Deleted double post...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #610 of 1,648
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #611 of 1,648

I'm still learning every day. Truth be told, I ordered a Geshelli Labs J2 delta sigma DAC with the AK4493 chip for my 2 channel system the other day b/c I'm curious what all the fuss is about with this DAC. Backordered r/n so time will tell.....

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #613 of 1,648
I'm still learning every day. Truth be told, I ordered a Geshelli Labs J2 delta sigma DAC with the AK4493 chip for my 2 channel system the other day b/c I'm curious what all the fuss is about with this DAC. Backordered r/n so time will tell.....
I too am curious about the J2, and Geshelli in general. Would like to try some of their products someday.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #614 of 1,648

For me, it mainly comes down to the way a R2R DAC reproduces the tone, texture and 'life' of the music, that really separates a resistor-ladder DAC from a delta-sigma DAC.

Playing music through a D/S DAC is kind of like putting a nice juicy hamburger into a blender and hitting 'Liquify'. Sure, everything that made up the hamburger is still technically there, but its form has been altered so completely that it's no longer recognizable as a hamburger anymore. And then the D/S DAC has to do the best job it can to reconstruct the liquified hamburger into something that once again resembles its original form. Whereas a R2R DAC completely bypasses the 'liquifiy' stage, and instead it precisely cuts up the hamburger into small little pieces, assigns each piece a specific number, then reassembles the all the numbered pieces into a near perfect looking (and tasting) hamburger again.

Now this is a very oversimplified analogy of just one of the fundamental differences between R2R and D/S DACs, but I use it to make a point that a R2R DAC does things a certain way that allows it to preserve the original structure of the recorded waveforms in a way that a D/S DAC must jump through a whole lot more hoops to come close to equaling, and IMHO, they rarely do.

But everyone has different sensitivities to the effects different types of DACs have on the music. Some people don't hear any differences at all. Some people (like me) can hear the differences from a mile away. But in the end, all that really matters is that you're more or less happy with the way your system sounds. If you're happy with the way your D/S DAC of choice sounds in your system, then you're good. :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #615 of 1,648

I thought you gave good feedback about DAC recommendations on the previous page. The difference isn't monumental enough to delay the experience of even an inexpensive DAC (say, because of affordability or availability).

Subtle nuances can be moving, though. I did buy a Multibit. Compared to my Drop Grace SDAC, the texture of music is more apparent. The pluck sound of a string, not just the tone. The vibration of a saxophone reed. It's always been there, I've been hearing it, but suddenly I'm now experiencing it more.

Small differences are insignificant. Subtle differences are dramatic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back