NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #1,636 of 1,640
Folks, allow me to quote myself:
My little Magni 3+ at the office is now 4 years old and has recently developed some weird behavior: big popping at the left channel when plugging anything into the jack, and channel imbalance (-3dB in L). My work-around has been an attenuator -- also for the obvious reason of more granularity in the volume pot -- and somehow that voltage divider addresses the channel imbalance, but I fear that I should retire the little fella ASAP before it decides to play Kamikaze with one of my transducers.

So my interest in the Piety is due the form factor and "coloured" sound. Here's my setup at the office, by the way:
1713112204806.png

Magni 3+ / Modi 3 stack with the dust cover (a.k.a. paper towel)

Is it true that Piety's magic only happens on high gain? Transducers include IEMs and a couple of Sennheisers.

Anything else I'm missing and should consider? Thanks!

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #1,637 of 1,640

So my interest in the Piety is due the form factor and "coloured" sound. Here's my setup at the office, by the way:
1713112204806.png

Is it true that Piety's magic only happens on high gain? Transducers include IEMs and a couple of Sennheisers.

There's a pamphlet included which urges the buyer to try their headphones on both low and high gain. I don't know why, though.

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #1,638 of 1,640

LOL I kind of get where you're coming from. But isn't Magni 3+ has vent holes at top to dissipate heat?

Maybe best not to cover it?

Also to prevent paper towel set on fire (probably low risk but better to be safe).

So a few things to note:

Low gain I find it warmer but less treble, but vocal a bit more forward. So I liked low gain.

When you go high gain you lose a little bit of warmth but everything opens up, you get wider sound stage, better layering, more air, vocal slightly further away.

But if you use IEM you might run into the same issue I had. Even in low gain it's just too loud for my easy to drive headphone.

So I don't recommend it unless you have some kind of hardware preamp to lower the output. Lowering it digitally changes the sound, not recommended.

Something to think about lol. :sweat_smile:

Apr 14, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #1,639 of 1,640
Thanks for your thoughts!

But isn't Magni 3+ has vent holes at top to dissipate heat?

Calculated risk. In my OCD ranking system dust comes before thermal issues. :smiling_imp:

I mean, Magni is always warm but nothing I can't touch. Office environment is pretty dry which also helps to dissipate the heat quicker. The paper towel also helps the Magni to reach steady operating conditions faster. :nerd:

Low gain I find it warmer but less treble, but vocal a bit more forward. So I liked low gain.

When you go high gain you lose a little bit of warmth but everything opens up, you get wider sound stage, better layering, more air, vocal slightly further away.

Nice. This is what I would like to find out, should I board into this train.

Even in low gain it's just too loud for my easy to drive headphone.

Still a drama then. Probably got this covered with the attenuator though -- or an iEMatch.

Assuming the volume knob is all the way down, do you guys hear any pops when interacting with the jack , i.e., inserting/removing? Memory may fail me but I think this always happened with my little Magni, even though it is much louder now. Sitting in front of me there is another 4-years old Liquid Spark which is deadly quiet on this regard.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #1,640 of 1,640

1713112204806.png

You might want to try something like my approach here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nit...ressions-thread.964304/page-103#post-17746916

Protects from dust without affecting heat dissipation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back