NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #586 of 1,648
Unscientific first impressions:

I listened to four or five songs (jazz, classical, rock) on my Topping/JDS El Amp setup with a pair of Sennheiser HD660S. I actually hadn't used the 660S in a while, and I found myself snapping my fingers and tapping my toes. Swapped out the El Amp for the Piety and listened to the same music again. No real involvement this time. Sounded all right, but I wasn't blissing out anymore. I let the Piety get warm and played music through it for the next 72 hours or so; it sounds good, and I have no complaints. I really got it to replace the Magni3 I have at work, though, so I was waiting to try that out.

Came in to work today and listened to the same five songs on my work setup: Schiit Modi3/Magni3 (2018 models) with a pair of Focal Elegias. The interesting thing to me was the rock songs sounded far better than the jazz on the Elegias, where the 660S seemed to treat them both equally. Anyway, listened to the music on the Magni3 and swapped it out for the Piety, and there was a definite improvement. Immediately more musical and less brittle. So I am happy with the purchase--I wanted to see if it was an improvement over the Magni I was using and it is.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #589 of 1,648
Dec 8, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #590 of 1,648
Everyone is busy listening to it….it’s good and not easy to let go. Priced just about right

Yep I’ve had mine turned on everyday since I got it, really musical and open sound which only gets better with time. I’m trying to think of something as good near the price but anything I’ve tried sounds compressed and congested in comparison. Anyone will be lucky to find one on eBay!

Dec 9, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #594 of 1,648
What is a good DAC to go with the piety? I impulsively picked it up as my first amp and just have it plugged directly into my computer right now.
Modi Multibit (would have to track one down second hand), Modi+ for the clean stack, Chord Mojo 1 (also second hand), if you want cheap just an Apple USB-C to 3.5 would do (that’s what I’m using and it’s working pretty swimmingly)

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #596 of 1,648
What is a good DAC to go with the piety? I impulsively picked it up as my first amp and just have it plugged directly into my computer right now.

The new Modi + seems like a sensible fit in terms of matching size for stacking, price and not needing another big wall wart like the Modi Multibit does.

If you are new to this stuff you would almost certainly get the idea from reading places like this that various different DACs will sound “significantly” different. They will not. They will sound “slightly” different if you are told what to listen for by way of subtle nuances, at a casual listen just enjoying your favourite song they will sound the same.

I don’t have a desktop DAC at present because I am actively downsizing my gear and have paired my Piety with an Apple Dongle, ifi Go Bar, Fiio M11 Plus, Chord Mojo, ifI Gryphon and ifI Diablo. They all sound very much more the same than different and at a casual listen I don’t hear any difference. Only difference was the small dongles are low on voltage so you need to wind the amplifier up higher.

I am not interested in the nth degree of this or that flavour, I just want a convenient set up that suits my needs in terms of size, power versus battery, connection options etc. While there might be subtle sound differences that isn’t to say one is good and something else is bad, they all sound good as pretty well any modern gear does.

I have ordered a Modi + which is due here next week, I fully expect it will sound the same as the other DACs I have tried.

I previously had, sold it, a Modi Multibit that was paired with a Woo WA6 tube amplifier and a Schiit Heresy op amp based amplifier. There was no magic and it was, again, much more the same than different when compared to most of the DACs mentioned above, I didn’t try them all at that time.

If a Modi + otherwise suits your circumstances I don’t think you can go wrong.

I will report back next week but I don’t think I will be regretting buy the Modi +.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #597 of 1,648
eBay has listings for Schiit Modi's from $50-$75, as well as Drop Grace SDACs. A topping D10 would also be a good choice. I have each of these. I’m fine buying something like this used, especially at this price. There's very little that can go wrong with them.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #599 of 1,648
Also, rumor is that Modi Multibit 2 will be released in the next month or two. Might make for a nice little stack.
I've owned all the Schiit budget DACs except the Modi 3+ and the Modi Multibit is still my favorite. If you're not in a hurry wait for the Modi Multibit 2.
THIS

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #600 of 1,648
yeah for the price a modi multibit was my first multibit/r2r dac and I loved it dearly. Shame it got so rare cause of production issues, but I hope the Multibit 2 will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back