NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #556 of 1,642
Interesting timing talking about extended listening then a change, not a week in my situation but here goes.

And XERO1 also stated recently:

" The Piety definitely has a distinct audible coloration in it's upper-mids/lower-treble, which could be described as a slight 'roughness' or 'coarseness' (but I wouldn't say it crosses over into harshness). "

I listened with the Piety all working day yesterday with Dethonray Tender 1 planar IEM with ifI Gryphon doing DAC duties. Near the end of the day I plugged the Dethonray straight into the Gryphon and kept listening to the same album. I was immediately struck by how "clean" the Gryphon sounded by comparison, smooth and open, clear space between the sounds, better separation.

I have also recently commented, with no response, that my listening volume with the Piety is all over the place which is unusual. Today I listened with the same headphones that I was when I asked that question, DCA Aeon Noire, and my ifI Diablo and the same general type of albums, even chose those that I noted were the ones that were most notably quiet or loud with Piety. Very different experience with the Diablo and, as usual, the pot is glued between 12 - 1 regardless of the music and the music seems smoother and generally a nicer listen, no inclination to reach for the pot every 10 minutes.

I am thinking that the Piety's sound "colour" (read that as - sometimes pleasant distortion) is coming across as a bit harsh with the Noire which do have a slightly crispy treble and the perceived volume swings are actually just the harsh glare that some tracks create, possibly exacerbated by recording levels but that isn't the entire issue given the Diablo comparison ???

So I noticed that "roughness"/"coarseness"/"fuzziness" last night when listening to the Piety on high gain. Spent the day with it on low gain and I didn't get nearly as much of that quality.

Also finding myself all over the place on volume, listening louder than I typically might. I'm thinking it might be how the dynamics are conveyed in low gain vs. high gain or something, or just something about that knob. Maybe I should give it another good yanking.

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #557 of 1,642
So I noticed that "roughness"/"coarseness"/"fuzziness" last night when listening to the Piety on high gain. Spent the day with it on low gain and I didn't get nearly as much of that quality.

Also finding myself all over the place on volume, listening louder than I typically might. I'm thinking it might be how the dynamics are conveyed in low gain vs. high gain or something, or just something about that knob. Maybe I should give it another good yanking.

Yes if you fiddle with your knob sufficiently that will most certainly take your mind off the volume :relaxed:

As an experiment, after listening to DCA Noire and Diablo combo all day I swapped the Piety with the Diablo as the DAC. I queued up an album of ambient dub type music with some smooth rumbling bass and sparkly highs and to be honest expected a harsh splashy mess .... nothing, I couldn't hear any immediate difference and even after picking a trebly harsh part of the song and A/B ing I couldn't tell them apart.

I am beginning to wonder if it isn't simply, for me at least, underestimating the Piety as a "serious" amplifier and thinking that it should be at a higher pot setting. I mean, at noon high gain it is fully the equal of the Diablo on turbo gain 12 oclock even into the Noires low 13 ohms. If it was in a bigger box and said it had 5 watts I maybe wouldn't even notice it. Overthinking a new toy perhaps.

I am listening with Piety and Noire now, low gain, 3 oclock on a pretty quiet song, plenty loud and sounds gorgeous, I can run it against the stop in low gain but that is far louder than sane, I might give low gain a days listen. I just did a quick comparison, DCA Noire, low gain, 3pm is indistinguishable volume to Diablo, 3 oclock on standard, again, I seem to be thinking of it as a bit of a "toy" that needs the pot further around than is the case.

I am just pleased that after a day of Noire/Diablo pleasure I plugged into the Piety and it was not a backwards step. The Diablo is my benchmark having ousted two previous Magni, an Asgard 3 and a Woo WA6 tube amp out out the door and onto new owners.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #559 of 1,642
Could just be new toy syndrome but after the first day of testing it with many other cans a few days ago (HD 600, Focal Clear, Grado Alessandro MS-2i, LCD-2, Ananda, K702, Sundara), I brought home my HD 8XX from the office and am testing them now on Piety and it's 👌🏾 ... I've not had a lot of head time with the 8XX at all yet, but briefly comparing it with the Cabin IHA-6, I'm definitely a little more of a pleasant coloration on Piety and it's gelling well with the 8XX.

EDIT: I should also mention that for grins I tried it my OG Get 1 T1 (600 Ohm) and it wasn't an ideal pairing, but I knew that might be a stretch -- so far, only HE-5se and T1 Gen 1 have been "eh, naw" for Piety.. everything else I've thrown at has been quite 👌🏾 -- enjoyable listens.

I'm not going to bother with the HE-6se v2 or the Heddphone, though, on Piety.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #560 of 1,642
Looks like its live again.

1670388373569.png

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #561 of 1,642
What!? Any word on how many are left? They're probably keeping some on hand for repairs/ replacements

Dec 7, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #562 of 1,642
Anybody else noticing it sounding better after a week of usage?

For me, a bit more treble definition and ambience, along with less harmonic congestion between bass and mid. Not that it was bad with the Piety. Imaging is consequently improved.

Last night I had a gorgeous listen with the Modi Multibit/Piety/HE-5XX using short Mogami 2549 cables - which all synergise brilliantly.

Also the Piety certainly comes on-song after a 30 minute warm up.

Andrew

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #564 of 1,642
christmas came very early...

just reached home and got a notification that it was delivered. the day couldn't be better!

Attachments

• IMG_20221207_181432.jpg
    IMG_20221207_181432.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221207_181816.jpg
    IMG_20221207_181816.jpg
    959.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #565 of 1,642
Looks like its live again.

1670388373569.png
Could it have been a cached page in your browser? Early AM ET, it's showing "Sold Out"when I checked it.

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #567 of 1,642
There were 5 available but now sold out

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #569 of 1,642
I was really really close to ordering one and using a 230v 16VAC transformer :<
Few will come in used market once the hype dies down…it always happens.
It’s a very good amp but many owners already have beefy amps for their primary, secondary, tertiary systems and will soon realize that they can’t fit this small wonder anywhere and will hit up the classifieds here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back