NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety - Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #541 of 1,642
I listened for 2 hours to music (pop, folk, yacht rock, R&B) on the Piety. I noticed it did sound slightly more open and seemed to place a little more emphasis on background details than my normal amp (SW51+) does. However, I noticed that my ears felt uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so and I could not figure out why (speculation is that I may have been listening to music slightly louder trying get the impact from the vocals). I was listening at around 9:00 on the amp and my tablet volume was around 40-50%. To me, it sounded better than my usual amp on a couple of songs (more energetic and open, bass perhaps somewhat better), but on most, I did not like the sound. Two impressions stuck with me.

One was that the edges of the songs sounded rougher (more jagged?) and two, many songs that I am very familiar with sounded like I would expect to hear them on my radio as opposed to my system (sound was more like listening to a reproduction of the song rather than the song). I also tried the low gain option and it did not fatigue my ears as quickly (but still did), but it sounded somewhat less open and more closed in.

Given the reviews (and how my impressions are in the minority), is it possible I did something not optimal? Could my piety be defective? Any suggestions?

The Piety definitely has a distinct audible coloration in it's upper-mids/lower-treble, which could be described as a slight 'roughness' or 'coarseness' (but I wouldn't say it crosses over into harshness). When I first started listening to it, I noticed this immediately and was a bit concerned that it might be a dealbreaker for me. So I left it on playing music 24/7 and would check on it every day, and little by little, that coloration became less and less pronounced, and IMO its many strengths far outweigh its few weaknesses. Although the coloration is still audible (and probably always will be), it's been reduced enough in level to where it no longer bothers me like it did when the amp was new. But everyone is going to have a different level of sensitivity to it, so it may be that the Piety's SQ just isn't your cup of tea, but give it at least 100 hours of playing music before you make a final decision.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #542 of 1,642
The Piety definitely has a distinct audible coloration in it's upper-mids/lower-treble, which could be described as a slight 'roughness' or 'coarseness' (but I wouldn't say it crosses over into harshness). When I first started listening to it, I noticed this immediately and was a bit concerned if this would be a dealbreaker for me. So I left it on playing music 24/7 and would check on it every day, and little by little, that coloration became less and less pronounced, and IMO its many strengths far outweigh its few weaknesses. Although the coloration is still audible (and probably always will be), it's been reduced enough in level to where it no longer bothers me like it did when the amp was new. But everyone is going to have a different level of sensitivity to it, so it may be that the Piety's SQ just isn't your cup of tea, but give it at least 100 hours of playing music before you make a final decision.
Yeah it was designed to exhibit tube like nuances...
Soft Clipping, Square wave....triode like characteristics...

Dec 6, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #543 of 1,642
Yeah it was designed to exhibit tube like nuances...
Soft Clipping, Square wave....triode like characteristics...
Yeah. I think the combination of a solid state device being designed to have tube-like distortion characteristics is what is causing this unique coloration, and it's just going to come down to the individual listener on whether it bothers them or not.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #544 of 1,642
Yeah. I think the combination of a solid state device being designed to have tube-like distortion characteristics it what is causing this unique coloration, and it's just going to come down to individual listener on whether it bothers them or not.
Yup for sure.
Yesterday the Vali 2 + was an exceptional experience all over again after listening with the Piety for several days.
Wham....wow what was I experiencing all over again.

This am I turned on the Piety with HD650....and wham its again a really nice expereince.
There is some of that its just different thing going on here for me. Always been this way.

Many of us want that one amp or thing to be the thing...but IMO its not out there....at least at 100% perfection (define perfection!).

The fun of this hobby is the many combinations of stuff and the varying experiences...

With each device I often find source material that sounds mediocre and source material that sounds great.

Good thing a $99 or $109 or $149 amp allows us to play and see for ourselves!

:>)

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #546 of 1,642
Pull the knob out ever-so-slightly. That will make the problem go away. My Magni 3+ needed this and now all is fine.

Are you talking about scratching sound on the device or through the headphones ?

Mine is through the headphones, I don’t think pulling my knob will fix that. 😂 But seriously ….. jokes aside …. I think we are talking different scratching,

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #548 of 1,642
The Piety definitely has a distinct audible coloration in it's upper-mids/lower-treble, which could be described as a slight 'roughness' or 'coarseness' (but I wouldn't say it crosses over into harshness). When I first started listening to it, I noticed this immediately and was a bit concerned that it might be a dealbreaker for me. So I left it on playing music 24/7 and would check on it every day, and little by little, that coloration became less and less pronounced, and IMO its many strengths far outweigh its few weaknesses. Although the coloration is still audible (and probably always will be), it's been reduced enough in level to where it no longer bothers me like it did when the amp was new. But everyone is going to have a different level of sensitivity to it, so it may be that the Piety's SQ just isn't your cup of tea, but give it at least 100 hours of playing music before you make a final decision.

Ive noticed that's what contributes to the added crunch on electric guitars.

Dec 6, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #549 of 1,642
Piety finally arrived by slow rickshaw to the east coast. Haven’t listened yet but I’ll be switching between this and the Vali 2+ on one of my setups. I have different sound signatures on all my systems which I like and am glad to hear Piety and Vali 2+ have a clear difference.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #550 of 1,642
Hello, first post on Head-fi. Coming from the photography hobby it's nice to see the community here! Using the Hifiman Arya Stealth and Asgard 3 w/ Multibit card. A/B ing and to my untrained ears the Piety is very comparable with Asgard 3 + Multibit card. Plenty of power to drive the Aryas on low and high gain when I tried with the Piety/Modi+. Modi+ had a lot more bass punch but treble was too shrill for me ( V or U shaped). But I liked the multibit but sound better.

Hooked Piety up to Asgard RCA outs and both units were left on overnight. Multibit is warmer, better mids and easier on the ears. Listening to all genres Asgard seems a slight bit brighter, wider and clear but not by much. Piety gets slightly warm to touch but not nearly as warm as the Asgard. Just bought Modi Multibit to see if that changes anything enough to separate the setups so I can decide which one I'll be sticking with...
Compared Piety and Asgard 3 with the Modi Multbit. Similar conclusions. I cant tell the difference at all anymore. Pretty amazing for a small 1v amp competing way above its weight class!

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #551 of 1,642
Mine arrived here in Vacationland as well. Pulled my knob just in case, hooked her up and shes been tickling my tympanic membranes all afternoon. Ill run her for a couple days before i give my Official Seal Of Approval©️, but its all good so far! :)

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #553 of 1,642
Compared Piety and Asgard 3 with the Modi Multbit. Similar conclusions. I cant tell the difference at all anymore. Pretty amazing for a small 1v amp competing way above its weight class!

Spend a week listening to only one then go to the other and see if you feelings about the music change. During the time don't agonise over differences/ improvements just relax and enjoy the music, this is the way I hear any differences in amplification.

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #554 of 1,642
Spend a week listening to only one then go to the other and see if you feelings about the music change. During the time don't agonise over differences/ improvements just relax and enjoy the music, this is the way I hear any differences in amplification.
Great Advice! Thanks. When it comes down to it its about enjoying music and not what can sound even better

Dec 6, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #555 of 1,642

Interesting timing talking about extended listening then a change, not a week in my situation but here goes.

And XERO1 also stated recently:

" The Piety definitely has a distinct audible coloration in it's upper-mids/lower-treble, which could be described as a slight 'roughness' or 'coarseness' (but I wouldn't say it crosses over into harshness). "

I listened with the Piety all working day yesterday with Dethonray Tender 1 planar IEM with ifI Gryphon doing DAC duties. Near the end of the day I plugged the Dethonray straight into the Gryphon and kept listening to the same album. I was immediately struck by how "clean" the Gryphon sounded by comparison, smooth and open, clear space between the sounds, better separation.

I have also recently commented, with no response, that my listening volume with the Piety is all over the place which is unusual. Today I listened with the same headphones that I was when I asked that question, DCA Aeon Noire, and my ifI Diablo and the same general type of albums, even chose those that I noted were the ones that were most notably quiet or loud with Piety. Very different experience with the Diablo and, as usual, the pot is glued between 12 - 1 regardless of the music and the music seems smoother and generally a nicer listen, no inclination to reach for the pot every 10 minutes.

I am thinking that the Piety's sound "colour" (read that as - sometimes pleasant distortion) is coming across as a bit harsh with the Noire which do have a slightly crispy treble and the perceived volume swings are actually just the harsh glare that some tracks create, possibly exacerbated by recording levels but that isn't the entire issue given the Diablo comparison ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back