Nirvana or Radiohead (Cast Your Vote)
Sep 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #31 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense but, you put Coldplay in the same league as THE Rolling Stones and THE Beatles and THE Pink Floyd? I like Coldplay but they're million years behind those legends and I'd even be careful putting Radiohead on the same tier.

It's a generalisation, i'm sure that 20 years down the track, as long as they keep producing popular and innovative music, well even if not, i am sure there will be people who look back and will say they had a huge impact on modern music. Any popular artist/band will have an effect on the evolution of contemporary music, it's just that some are better than others.

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #32 of 79
I have a suspicion Coldplay wiill never be ranked with Beatles, stones, Floyd and not even radiohead......

I think theres even a chance that Radiohead may be remember as the last master of rock music........it seems to be a genre that is slowly dying, and no band since radiohead has anything significant to offer

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #33 of 79
I blame MTV
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #34 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I blame MTV
wink.gif

the talking heads, the dire straits, the police, devo and some others carried mtv along in its infancy. what happened? mtv2 has also crumbled. do they even show videos anymore?

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #37 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think theres even a chance that Radiohead may be remember as the last master of rock music........it seems to be a genre that is slowly dying, and no band since radiohead has anything significant to offer

Couldn't agree more.

However, I wouldn't say it's dying, though. I think what's happening now is that it's evolving. No sorts of music has stayed unaltered for more than a few decades. Genres exist but each go through different musical period and in every generation change is almost inevitable. It's rather happening quite fast than it did in 50 years ago but I think that's due to the rate of technological developments that we're having today. Long time ago, there was Rock & Roll, very blusey and very traditional. And from there, many genre's have emerged, hard-rock, metal, alternative, grunge, punk, etc.. The good old rock and roll is hard to find now days but the rock itself still exists. Now, there's death-metal, folk-rock, emo
frown.gif
, indie, electro-rock, etc.. Not all of them are good IMO but that's just my opinion. I'm sure to most young teenagers emos are just as respected as traditional rock. Times are changing and so does music. I'm afraid Radiohead may be the last of it's kind but there'll be always someone somewhere coming out and shake things up down the road.

I'm just rambling.
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #38 of 79
I haven't heard a single track by Radiohead and my Nirvana experience goes to four albums (can't remember which) and they sound frankly bit overrated to me. I didn't choose Nirvana.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #39 of 79
Quote:

I have a suspicion Coldplay wiill never be ranked with Beatles, stones, Floyd and not even radiohead......

Have you been buying alot of rock records lately? I love rock from the 80s to the 90s and a significant portion of my collection is based on the era of music which I was too young to appreciate. However there are so many interesting bands NOW that I still have alot of expectations from the rock music of today.

Back to the question:

Nirvana, for me they captured what it means to make pop music without selling out. I never got Radiohead, beeps and boops on electronics paired with whispy vocals never appealed to me, and I fail to see how are they innovative at all. I owned amnesiac, played it once, fell asleep halfway, didnt bother to rip it into my collection (I rip absolutely anything and everything I buy except amnesiac).

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #40 of 79
What's great about Radiohead is that they're not trying to be anybody like many bands do today. They're in their own league which so many bands all over the world try to imitate. People who talks about beeps and boops clearly is not getting Radiohead at all which is fine really because everybody has different tastes. There was a time when I thought I just couldn't get Radiohead, too. But after getting tired of listening to the same old bands coming out with the same old songs, listening to Radiohead sounded like a revelation. To me, Radiohead is not about beeps and boops. I have no idea what that is. Instead, I hear a beautifully painted abstract art, like that of Jackson Pollock's. Not everybody got his art but he was a master of his own, much like Radiohead.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #41 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's great about Radiohead is that they're not trying to be anybody like many bands do today. They're in their own league which so many bands all over the world try to imitate. People who talks about beeps and boops clearly is not getting Radiohead at all which is fine really because everybody has different tastes. There was a time when I thought I just couldn't get Radiohead, too. But after getting tired of listening to the same old bands coming out with the same old songs, listening to Radiohead sounded like a revelation. To me, Radiohead is not about beeps and boops. I have no idea what that is. Instead, I hear a beautifully painted abstract art, like that of Jackson Pollock's. Not everybody got his art but he was a master of his own, much like Radiohead.

I have this argument with friends about Radiohead frequently. You state the argument very clearly. Radiohead is often on a different level. There are many, like with your Jackson Pollock analogy, that just don't get it. (Just like, I guess that, I just don't get the "greatness" of Nirvana...)

Sep 7, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #42 of 79
Quote:

... and no band since radiohead has anything significant to offer

Now you're just being silly. Plenty of bands in the last 15 years have made great music besides Radiohead. Some much better even, in my opinion. We talk about them all the time around here. Maybe not as popular with the mainstream public, but still.

Both bands will be remembered as two of the most influential of the modern era, but Nirvana meant much more to me in the 90s than Radiohead ever did, such visceral and passionate music, Cobain was a much stronger rock frontman than Yorke, and I don't think any other band did more to change the direction of rock music in the modern age.

Sep 7, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #43 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you been buying alot of rock records lately? I love rock from the 80s to the 90s and a significant portion of my collection is based on the era of music which I was too young to appreciate. However there are so many interesting bands NOW that I still have alot of expectations from the rock music of today.

Back to the question:

Nirvana, for me they captured what it means to make pop music without selling out. I never got Radiohead, beeps and boops on electronics paired with whispy vocals never appealed to me, and I fail to see how are they innovative at all. I owned amnesiac, played it once, fell asleep halfway, didnt bother to rip it into my collection (I rip absolutely anything and everything I buy except amnesiac).

in all fairness....Amnesiac isn't the album to judge Radiohead by......it's not weak but its not as strong as at least 3 of their other albums.

I do listen to a lot of rock music from today, and in fact I am in a budding rock band....i still don't think any significant is going on.....I actually think all music is sort of suffering right now, not just rock.

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #44 of 79
Quote:

in all fairness....Amnesiac isn't the album to judge Radiohead by......

Kid A is the one that doesn't completely bore me, probably because, texturally, it's kinda like Radiohead's jazz album.

About other fairly recent rock: I'm gonna take this opportunity to plug a fantastic interim band that burned out too fast because of one member's indulgences: The Libertines. Definitely worth checking out...

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #45 of 79
For all who question how much Radiohead really "Rock?" only need to see then live. I saw them at Red Rocks in 2003 and even though the band is literally playing like 10 instruments at the same time between them, it is an absolute explosion on stage. Yorke is possessed, don't let his shyness fool you. On stage he is more like Neil Young.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back