Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the two single greatest musical forces in Rock during the 1990s

Are you...serious?
confused.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the two single greatest musical forces in Rock during the 1990s.......

Couldn't agree more. However, it's sort of unfair for Nirvana because when OK Computer came out, Nirvana wasn't around. If we're looking at the moment when they both existed, I'd give my vote to Nirvana. But, if we're looking at the sheer artistic level of their best works, I'd give my vote to Radiohead.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 79
For me it's Radiohead. Though Nirvana was a driving force in the 1990's, they didn't do much in terms of creation that is any different than say...the Grandaddy of Grunge couldn't have pumped out. Radiohead on the other hand, they are completely unique. No one can match them even though so many try. Musically they are in completely different worlds. No competition. Nirvana...save for Grohl are barely musicians
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it's Radiohead. Though Nirvana was a driving force in the 1990's, they didn't do much in terms of creation that is any different than say...the Grandaddy of Grunge couldn't have pumped out. Radiohead on the other hand, they are completely unique. No one can match them even though so many try. Musically they are in completely different worlds. No competition. Nirvana...save for Grohl are barely musicians
smily_headphones1.gif

QFT. Except I hate the Foo Fighters.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 79
I feel that Radiohead are a far more innovative and musically talented band than Nirvana ever were. Radiohead have also made some superb albums, and some albums which are just a little bit too much hard work to listen to.
For ease of listening and the ability to always make me smile when i listen to them- Nirvana gets my vote.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

There's no denying that Nirvana rocked the alternative scene when they first came out. They almost set the standard on alternative rock which we can still find in today's music. But then they disappeared with the tragic suicidal incident which I think has something to do with their iconic status.

I'm a die hard Radiohead fan so I'm putting my vote on Radiohead but I'm also giving the benefit of the doubt for the things that Nirvana might've accomplished.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 79
I love Nirvana too, don't get me wrong. I own really rare first pressings etc., etc. However, Radiohead is comprised of incredible musicians, brainiacs who can write lyrics, compose tunes and create an entire genre of music. Nirvana broke away from the corporate whoring that was glam rock and 80's pop but seriously, what they did, could have been done by someone else (in fact it was...by Neil Young 2 decades earlier).

I listen to Radiohead more, and I place them in my top 3 bands of all time usually in the second spot but depending on the day they take top spot. So perhaps I'm biased, but I have Nirvana in my top 10...so I'm not horrible opposed to Nirvana either. I just think that of the two, Radiohead will clearly be the one to write a PhD dissertation on. Nirvana...not so much.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #14 of 79
Quote:

I listen to Radiohead more, and I place them in my top 3 bands of all time usually in the second spot but depending on the day they take top spot. So perhaps I'm biased, but I have Nirvana in my top 10...so I'm not horrible opposed to Nirvana either. I just think that of the two, Radiohead will clearly be the one to write a PhD dissertation on. Nirvana...not so much.

Just tell me your top 3!

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 79
U2, Radiohead, James

To make my top three I need longevity (no one album wonders) and I need high relistenability along with intelligence in the lyrics and genre defining music. James is horribly underrated as a band but most won't think they are all that great, still, of the UK bands that have made it over the last 20 years, they are one of the few who have solidly written lyrics that are worthy of analysis and music that is foot tappingly great. A close fourth place (and sometimes 3rd) are the Tragically Hip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back