Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Apr 22, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,457 of 1,729
Thanks for the replies, most helpful :) I had intended to go down the Holo Audio route but to buy a Bliss + KTE is just so expensive. I could look at the Nimbus US5 Pro and a smaller DAC such as a Chord Qutest instead.

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #1,458 of 1,729
Thanks for the replies, most helpful :) I had intended to go down the Holo Audio route but to buy a Bliss + KTE is just so expensive. I could look at the Nimbus US5 Pro and a smaller DAC such as a Chord Qutest instead.
This is exactly the route I went about 18 months ago.
I am not as experienced as others on here with different combinations , but to me the Niimbus and the Qutest sound sublime.
initially I thought the Qutest would be temporary until I had a bit more cash to upgrade it. I have the cash now but I have no desire to change.

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,459 of 1,729
I had that combo and must say it sounded very natural! If you're interested in a Qutest, I have one for sale in the classifieds.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #1,460 of 1,729

The May + Bliss setting will sound better.

Most likely we will not hear a striking difference between Bliss and Niimbus. The choice of one or another amplifier will come down to the individual preferences of the listener and the composition of the headphones available. But the difference between May and Chord Qutest will be much more significant. I know that some HeadFi members have switched from Chord Dave to May and found May more melodious. Qutest is clearly not at their level, no matter how good it sounds.

Chord Qutest has only RCA outputs and the maximum voltage on them is 3 Volts.
All the DACs I've listened to with the Violectric 550 and Niimbus have always played better through the XLR. The more voltage they could apply to the amplifier, the more power reserve the amplifier had, the sound was more emotional.

May gives out 2.4 volts on RCA, 5.8 volts on XLR.
If your bank account and wife allow you, then it is better to choose May.:slight_smile:

I haven't heard Expanse yet, but I've managed to listen to Stealth from Burson Soloist GT, Ferrum ORR+Gypsos, Violectric 550, Niimbus.

In combination with Stealth, I would put these boosters in the following order:
№1 Niimbus. It has a neutral setting, excellent stage, speed, bass punch, phenomenal resolution and a magical scattering of diamonds at high frequencies.
№2 Violectric 550. Everything is exactly the same as Niimbus, only the tuning is a little warmer and Niimbus has slightly better control of the headphone membrane (this is only audible at low frequencies and on single tracks). In all other respects they have parity (by ear).
№3 Burson Soloist GT. It has a lower speed (it's audible on fast bass compositions) and rounding of high frequencies (you won't hear a magical scattering of diamonds at high frequencies), less black background.
№4 Ferrum ORR + Gypsos. Smaller scene and resolution. The drop in resolution is strongly audible in the low-frequency range, it plays somehow simplified. This is the warmest of all four amplifiers. Gives an additional emphasis on the bass and rounds out the high frequencies (as you already understood, the sound without diamonds).

I gave an example of how Stealth sounds on these amplifiers. Given that Expanse has a similar magnetic system and membrane, it will react similarly to amplifiers.

If I had a choice now, would I buy May+ Bliss or May+Niimbus? My choice would be May+Bliss (even though I'm a Vio/Niimbus fan). Selling Bliss on the secondary market will be much easier, faster, with minimal loss of value if you don’t like its sound. This is due to the fact that the hype for Bliss continues to gain momentum. Everyone who bought it did not abandon it in favor of another amplifier.

Vio/Niimbus has never had the hype and is more expensive than the competition. Therefore, the discount when selling on the secondary market will always be greater. But those who have tried this equipment and understand its advantages are ready to pay the appointed amount.

Moreover, dealers in my area have sold a lot of Vio550/Vio590/Niimbus in the last 3-4 years. And I don't see them on the secondary market (in my region). That is, those who bought them see no reason to change them for something else. I also have no idea that I could change my Vio590 (I use it as an amplifier in my installation). My Vio590 (as an amplifier) outplayed all the amplifiers that I managed to own and hear (except Niimbus).

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #1,461 of 1,729
Amazing post, thank you for taking time out to do that and I am sure it will also help others. I think with the Nimbus it may well have satisfied me in terms of being an amp, but I prefer single-vendor solutions and I get that from Holo Audio with the Bliss/May. I have gone the Holo Audio Bliss & May KTE route. My wallet hates me right now, but I wanted to buy something that will remove my desire to keep looking at the next thing and I believe this will do that for me for at least the next couple of years.

May 1, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,463 of 1,729
Too much detail just sounds weird.. I think. :thinking:
I agree. Some headphone components, also some 2-channel stuff like speakers & DACs, give too much detail.

I know this is a subjective preference topic: ie, me not wanting to hear too much detail is just my preference. But it's also based on many many experiences of music in real life, everything from symphony, opera, ballet, jazz club, blues/funk club, outdoor concerts whatever. IRL music I never hear too much detail--I only hear the detail there actually is in that setting (it's very much amplfication- and acoustics-dependent).

I always notice other qualities way more than detail/resolution: namely dynamics (which are huge in live music), timbre of instruments (very obvious, pleasing), and things like soft cymbals and brushwork on drums.

May 1, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #1,464 of 1,729
no such thing as too much detail, would be like saying a TV shows too much detail......some present it better than others but IMHO there is no such thing as too much detail

May 1, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #1,465 of 1,729
Niimbus is crystal clear sounding amp but not sterile.
Agreed. It definitely has some boogie. The 3 words I would use are smooth, powerful, and clear. Highly recommend.

May 2, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #1,466 of 1,729
no such thing as too much detail, would be like saying a TV shows too much detail......some present it better than others but IMHO there is no such thing as too much detail
You haven’t heard one of my mother in law’s stories then

May 2, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #1,467 of 1,729
May 9, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #1,469 of 1,729
That is probably my next headphone amp, as many people sing it's praises. Too many hobbies going on at the moment to pull the trigger on one right now.

May 21, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #1,470 of 1,729
This might be a silly question but has anyone replaced the battery on the remote? I hadn't used my remote at all since I bought my US5 because it sits right next to me when I listen. However, I think I'll be taking it to the basement next weekend to use as a preamp for fun. So I tried out the remote and it's not working properly. I did aim it at a smartphone and I saw blinking. Not much works though.
The function keys A shuts the phones out on and off. And C raises the volume. Line switches xlr to rca. And that's it. Nothing else works.
I wonder if it's a weak battery? Or does that matter? In other words, the battery either works or it doesn't.

As far as replacing the battery, I popped the face off with a paper clip. But the battery is held down pretty tight. Anyone that's replaced the battery, I'd like some tips. I think I'll take it to work with me tomorrow where I have bright lights to see what's up lol. I don't want to pry something off that's not supposed to come off and damage anything.

edit - in case anyone comes across this post doing research, it ended up being - I had the wrong remote control for the US5 pro. Simple as that. I got the right remote and all was well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back