Niimbus Ultimate Series US4/US4+/US5/US5 Pro Headphone Amps - by Lake People
Jan 8, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,441 of 1,729
Which IEM are you using?

Jan 8, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,442 of 1,729
I loaned few :wink:
20230108_152517.jpg

Jan 8, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #1,445 of 1,729
zhgutov, good to see you around here again!

Jan 10, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,446 of 1,729
This amp is great! I've finally had a chance to listen it.
Unfortunately, it was a version without the relay volume control, but anyway.
I was recently reminded of how good this amp is as well. I had ordered a Susvara just before Christmas, and with the new Holo Bliss out (apparently tuned for the Susvara) I thought I should try and get one in to see if it was better than my Niimbus. Figured that would make for a sweet stack with my May.

Once I actually got the Susvara and plugged them into the Niimbus, I was as impressed with the amp as I was with the headphones. Susvara sounded wonderful, the amp feels in full control, treble is never hot, mids are sweet and the bass is present, there is plenty of sub-bass, dynamics, detail, stage... I haven't heard the Susvara on any other amp, but I figure it is going to take one hell of an amp to beat the Niimbus.

Ample power on tap too (especially with the hot XLR outputs from the May). Still on -6db gain (which goes up to +24db I think), mostly listen at around 12 o'clock.

May yet try out the Bliss at some point, but I'm in no rush at all. Wonderful amp.

Jan 10, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #1,447 of 1,729
Nice. I've got my US5 arriving tomorrow and Diana Phi on demo begging for a good source.

Just read the Zahl review that's gone up on headphones.com and despite Niimbus not being a comparison, Bliss was. Looking forward to seeing some impressions of US4/5 vs Bliss when more come out into the wild.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #1,449 of 1,729
I was recently reminded of how good this amp is as well. I had ordered a Susvara just before Christmas, and with the new Holo Bliss out (apparently tuned for the Susvara) I thought I should try and get one in to see if it was better than my Niimbus. Figured that would make for a sweet stack with my May.

Once I actually got the Susvara and plugged them into the Niimbus, I was as impressed with the amp as I was with the headphones. Susvara sounded wonderful, the amp feels in full control, treble is never hot, mids are sweet and the bass is present, there is plenty of sub-bass, dynamics, detail, stage... I haven't heard the Susvara on any other amp, but I figure it is going to take one hell of an amp to beat the Niimbus.

Ample power on tap too (especially with the hot XLR outputs from the May). Still on -6db gain (which goes up to +24db I think), mostly listen at around 12 o'clock.

May yet try out the Bliss at some point, but I'm in no rush at all. Wonderful amp.
Agree 100%

Particularly:
Susvara sounded wonderful, the amp feels in full control, treble is never hot, mids are sweet and the bass is present,

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #1,450 of 1,729
Gheto build until M3 arrives later today....

20230111_133542.jpg

Initial thoughts... Clean, smooth / analogue, separation, space, air. Nice. :sunglasses:

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #1,451 of 1,729
Bricasti M3 and Niimbus will be one hell of a combo.

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,452 of 1,729
Bricasti M3 and Niimbus will be one hell of a combo.
Here's hoping. Bit wary of too much neutral in the chain but 1st listen to US5 has partly put my mind at ease despite Gryphon having a touch of warmth. Err'd on the side of caution and picked up a Cardas Reflection to go in between them, can always swap it out for Clear later if needed. I'll need to start rolling through HP's now! Fun times ahead!

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #1,453 of 1,729
Have any of you guys run a tube pre into US4/5?

Edit: Ignore, looked into this last week and completely forgot why I figured it's a no go, jogged my memory for the answer to my own question!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #1,454 of 1,729
I ended up parting ways with the Benchmark HPA4 because although its a great amp for my taste it was a bit too neutral and lifeless. I am considering the US5 Pro in my shortlist for the Expanse can anyone comment on this, in particular compared to the Benchmark?

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #1,455 of 1,729
I ended up parting ways with the Benchmark HPA4 because although its a great amp for my taste it was a bit too neutral and lifeless. I am considering the US5 Pro in my shortlist for the Expanse can anyone comment on this, in particular compared to the Benchmark?

Haven't heard the Expanse yet but I agree about the HPA4 being a little sterile despite doing lots of other things well. To my ears the Niimbus captures all of the detail but adds more soul, emotion, musicality, whatever you want to call it. I would definitely try one out if you get the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back