Night Time Shots Of Our Tubes Glowing -- Post Them Here!!
Feb 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #752 of 1,510
What f/stop and shutter speed are you guys using?  Pitch black room?

DSC_2372.jpg

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #753 of 1,510
Totally dark room helps. If you dim incandescent lights enough that you can see the tubes glowing well the color temperature from the bulbs gets kind of warm and ugly - by the time you correct for the ambient light you loose all of the color in the tubes! If you have LED lights your pretty much a pimp so feel free to ignore me. 

I follow a method something like this:

Totally dark room.

Use a LONG exposure on a tripod. Set F-stop to get good depth of field, and shutter speed so that the glowing heaters are well exposed. I snap a few pics without flash to set this part of the exposure. F8 & 10seconds @ISO100 sounds like a good starting point but please dont quote me unless Im right :p

After you have settled on an exposure time & F-stop hold a flash somewhere off to the side & above and trigger it manually to get the body of the amp and the shapes of the bottles. Experiment with different distances & locations from flash to amp to get a pleasant exposure & highlights here. Don't bother with leaving the flash on the camera - you will get results 1000 times better holding it off to the side and triggering it manually and thanks to the epic-long exposure time you can safely fire the flash manually. 

You can use a VERY cheap flash here, no need for anything really fancy if you don't happen to have a nice flash. 

It does take a bit of experimentation to get a nice pic, but once you do it a couple times it becomes easy as habit and the results are SO worth it. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #755 of 1,510
Great shot of you relaxing in the chair, a wee whiskey by your side. A perfect evening I think. (A reply that was supposed to be attached to post 44, RhythmDevils)

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #757 of 1,510

Quote:

Schiit Lyr
ƒ/8.0 — 71.0 sec — ISO 100 (to keep down the noise)

very cool. wish i could take photos like that lol

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #758 of 1,510
That was a GREAT explanation nikongod. Reminded me of chapter 7 "Artificial Light Photography" from Ansel Adam's "The Negative". I'll definitely try the technique soon.

cheers!

Quote:
Totally dark room helps. If you dim incandescent lights enough that you can see the tubes glowing well the color temperature from the bulbs gets kind of warm and ugly - by the time you correct for the ambient light you loose all of the color in the tubes! If you have LED lights your pretty much a pimp so feel free to ignore me. 

I follow a method something like this:

Totally dark room.

Use a LONG exposure on a tripod. Set F-stop to get good depth of field, and shutter speed so that the glowing heaters are well exposed. I snap a few pics without flash to set this part of the exposure. F8 & 10seconds @ISO100 sounds like a good starting point but please dont quote me unless Im right :p

After you have settled on an exposure time & F-stop hold a flash somewhere off to the side & above and trigger it manually to get the body of the amp and the shapes of the bottles. Experiment with different distances & locations from flash to amp to get a pleasant exposure & highlights here. Don't bother with leaving the flash on the camera - you will get results 1000 times better holding it off to the side and triggering it manually and thanks to the epic-long exposure time you can safely fire the flash manually. 

You can use a VERY cheap flash here, no need for anything really fancy if you don't happen to have a nice flash. 

It does take a bit of experimentation to get a nice pic, but once you do it a couple times it becomes easy as habit and the results are SO worth it. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #759 of 1,510

Quote:
That was a GREAT explanation nikongod. Reminded me of chapter 7 "Artificial Light Photography" from Ansel Adam's "The Negative". I'll definitely try the technique soon.

cheers!

One thing I'd like to add is to remember to turn off stabilization on your lens when using a tripod as that can cause some vibration while taking a long exposure. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #761 of 1,510

Quote:
Zombie_X said:

Nice, nice, nice.
Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (And outside.)
Great shots! All of 'em.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #762 of 1,510
Thanks man! All my pictures were taken from a cheap $40 digital camera.

Quote:
Nice, nice, nice.
Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (And outside.)
Great shots! All of 'em.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #763 of 1,510

Quote:
Thanks man! All my pictures were taken from a cheap $40 digital camera.

Great to know. I've had no success with a $200+ digital camera. Please tell, what is the make and model of your camera? Thanks!

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #764 of 1,510
The camera is a GE A1251. Got it at RadioShack for $40 a while back.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #765 of 1,510
While not a headphone amp, here are the tubes on my Budda Superdrive 18 guitar amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back