Night Oblivion Butastur thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #121 of 340
Just had a quick demo of @ian91 Butastur at the London CanJam. Stock cable looks great but inhibits the Butastur ability, range and expression significantly. Even with a cheap XINHS 4 core graphene SPC cable they become full, sweet, musical, spacious. I could have listened for longer but had ear fatigue in general from the show. Makes the U12t sounds leaden and pedestrian. Well done @AmericanSpirit (and thanks Ian)!
Butastur + Wagnus cables. I'm sure his japanese audience would love to see it.

Aug 22, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #123 of 340
Butastur vs Monarch 2/3, any opinions?
I'm getting the MK 3 and Butastur, I'll have comparisons when they come in. Butastur is coming in soonish, but Monarch could be a bit...

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #124 of 340
I haven't messed with the switches.
I've been listening to my Xenns Top this morning.
It's incredible but the Xenns are very good complement to the Butastur.
One is more fan and bass heavy although detail and with a natural presentation. The other one is is more serious but very very musical.

I can now safety say, my journey in the IEM world as come to a halt.
I don't feel the need to pursuit the next thing.
I was super happy with the Xenns Top, in fact was the first IEM that blew me away since day 1... Until the Butastur arrived 😁

@AmericanSpirit I can safely say you accomplish your goal. Hi-fi for the masses!
I'm not sure the masses can afford $500 for a pair of IEMs.

Aug 22, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #126 of 340
I'm not sure the masses can afford $500 for a pair of IEMs.
I don't know, the masses seem to have no problem dropping that on Apple headphones.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #127 of 340
I don't know, the masses seem to have no problem dropping that on Apple headphones.
Well I am obviously not one of them. I can not afford $200 either!

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #131 of 340
Butastur along with one of its inspirations, the Anole VX. I would actually take Butastur over the Anole nine times out of ten. The 1/10 when I would choose Anole over Butastur, is if I'm in the mood for huge bass, since it can provide that with its bass switch. I'm not going to be keeping the QDC for much longer I don't think. (It is very good, and quite flexible, but there are several cheaper IEMs I like better) The Butastur is much more compact too, it just isn't too noticeable from that perspective.

Attachments

• 20230824_113623.jpg
    20230824_113623.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 26, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #132 of 340
Received the Butastur 3 days back. Man, I am extremely pleased!
  1. The Bass, while I still can pick up the slight BA tonality, is mind-blowingly similar to an extremely well-tuned DD! Goodness me were I flabbergasted! I used these tracks and I was simply smiling like stupid!

Prelude to War
Daft Punk - Doin' it Right (Official Audio) ft. Panda Bear
  1. Midrange is similarly outstanding! Vocals sound really really natural, Leonard Cohen, James Blunt, Neil Diamond, Sarah Bareilles, Yao Si Ting, Christina Aguilera - beautifully natural all of them! But yeah I could detect slight accentuated upper mid edges that add a slight digital touch to the otherwise analogue timbre. Frankly, this is the most organic BA mids I have ever heard - it gets very close to DD. The instrument notes are really tactile.
  2. The treble is very well extended and energetic - ethereal is the right word. I love it. Not splashy, extremely detailed, and skillfully sculpted.
  3. Stage is well-proportioned, clean, and three dimensional. Pin point imaging. Holographic presentation but not super vast - because the notes have the right amount of body, not thin.
  4. From the graph, I was afraid it would not be very dynamic - I could not be any further from the truth! Both Macro and microdynamics are outstanding!
Using them with the H570 tips as intended.

What surprised me is the outstanding balance it has achieved between precision and organic timbre. It has not sacrificed the timbre to achieve extreme precision and knife-edged details. And yet it has not overdone the organic timbre to the point of sounding unnaturally thick, smothering the details. Tuning finesse at its peak!

On top of that - the outstanding comfort was simply unprecedented. I remember other full BA iems, most recently the See Audio Neko, creating a very uncomfortable vacuum sealing. Not Butastur. It is as comfortable as a well vented DD iem. I just cannot say enough of it!

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #133 of 340
I am not a reviewer, so I share briefly with impression after ~12 hours.
Vocals: Smooth, natural and detailed.
Treble: Detailed and smooth extension with energy, never too shouty.
Staging: Am impressed with the imaging/separation and staging.

Musical, engaging and non-fatiguing iem. Overall coherent (not congested), energetic, dynamic, no slight sibilance, detail retrieval ~ heard recording artifacts I hadn't noticed before in couple of tracks. I really enjoy the instrument details retrieval and they sound snappier.

Night Oblivion Butastur is beautifully crafted and wears comfortable. First two hours via N7 isn't that impressive. But the sound opens up after that and it stuck to my ears. It could also be my own issue since I have trouble with finding the right ear tips, until I put on SpinFit W1.

Other iem I have are AüR Audio Neon Pro, AüR Audio Aurora, and Monarch MKII. I won't be looking to compare them. From my own impression, Night Oblivion Butastur and AüR Audio Neon Pro are tuned differently. Neon Pro is more energetic than Butastur, and I enjoy Rock/Alternative/Pop songs with Neon Pro.

Congrats to AmericanSpirit_JP and his team on Night Oblivion Butastur. Along with AüR Audio, they shake the iem industries. High price tag doesn't mean is good. In my personal opinion, their engineered iem became the benchmark in the iem markets. They know what is needed for music lovers.

Impression may change with more hours. Now, continue to enjoy.

Source: (1) Cayin N7, (2) computer > Schitt Gungnir Multibit > Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon
Ear tip: SpinFit W1 (getting H570)
Cable: Stock
Switch: 0-0

1693036878540.png

Singer / Songs
Adele
Agnes Obel - Aventine
Aimer
Amy MacDonald - This is the life
Amy Winehouse - Back to black
Angus & Julia Stone - Grizzly Bear
Beth Orton - Weather Alive
Beyond
Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
Birdy - Skinny Love
Celine Dion
Chlara - evo sessions
Chen Jie Li
Emi Fujita
Explosions in the sky - Wilderness
Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter
Every Little Thing - Time Goes By
Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
Fleet Foxes - Your protector
G.E.M.
Jacky Cheung
James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
JJ Lin
Joe Hisaishi
Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises
Harold Faltermeyer - Top Gun Maverick
Manchester Orchestra - The Valley of Vision
Marvin Gaye - What's going on
Michael Jackson
Michael Buble - Lost
Kitaro - Kojiki
Olafur Arnalds - Ljosi
Olivia Ong
Lana Del Rey
Leslie Cheung
London Grammar
Li Yugang - Flowers in the Mirror, Moon in the Water
Passenger - All the little lights
Pink Floyd - Time
SawanoHiroyuki[nZk] - Binary Star
Samantha Lam
Susanne Sundfør - blómi
Taeyeon - If
Tsai Chin
Two-mix
X Japan - Ballad Collection - Forever Love (Last mix)
Yanni
Yao Si Ting

Aug 26, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #134 of 340
Nice to see more and more impressions coming. I can only second that the Butastur is a very - like veeery - comfortable IEM. Not only fit- and sizewise but also due to it's pressure release system that AmericanSpirit_JP named 'BRAS', I guess. One can literally listen endlessly to the Eagle...

As one who really loves his Neon Pro and never made it a secret how impressed I became with AüRs capabilities beginning on day 1 of ownership I still am very happy with both, B and NP, and find they complement each other well if you like such detail rich sound signatures.

My first impressions have not changed in that I often prefer the slightly more refined / cautious / delicate Butatsur for classical and other more complex acoustic music like most Jazz while the NP is still my No. 1 goto IEM for stuff that should give me a kick in the a** or screams for having fun. So it also depends on my moods which one get's playtime.

If I would have to limit myself to 3 IEM only I could well call it quits with my B, NP and IE900 - but I fear that won't be the way things will work out with so many interesting stuff being released each month or should I say week...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #135 of 340
Nice to see more and more impressions coming. I can only second that the Butastur is a very - like veeery - comfortable IEM. Not only fit- and sizewise but also due to it's pressure release system that AmericanSpirit_JP named 'BRAS', I guess. One can literally listen endlessly to the Eagle...

As one who really loves his Neon Pro and never made it a secret how impressed I became with AüRs capabilities beginning on day 1 of ownership I still am very happy with both, B and NP, and find they complement each other well if you like such detail rich sound signatures.

My first impressions have not changed in that I often prefer the slightly more refined / cautious / delicate Butatsur for classical and other more complex acoustic music like most Jazz while the NP is still my No. 1 goto IEM for stuff that should give me a kick in the a** or screams for having fun. So it also depends on my moods which one get's playtime.

If I would have to limit myself to 3 IEM only I could well call it quits with my B, NP and IE900 - but I fear that won't be the way things will work out with so many interesting stuff being released each month or should I say week...
I feel the exact same way. I feel confidant in saying the Butastur/Vocal is the best IEM I've ever heard. For what it does, nothing touches it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back