Night Oblivion Butastur thread
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #151 of 346
Agreed on my behalf too. The Butastur is a bit lighter and more delicate than the NP.

All in all the NP is still my favourite IEM. For me it is unmatched in connecting me emotionally with most music I listen to, but the Butastur is an interesting alternative signature wise and matches some genres even better than the NP.
Happy to own both...
I somewhat agree with you on this, but the Butastus can do things with some genres that no other IEM I've tried can. I wrote AmericanSpirit telling him my experience the other night with my combo- perfect synergy. I'm sure I'll be accused of hyperbole but:

"I was listening to your baby last night with my Hiby RS6 with Micron SD card and the Penon Vocal cable, AUR tips. I was listening to the Michael Hedges album “Beyond Boundaries” which I have listened to over a 100 times, used tracks to review cables, speaker wire, capasitors in Dacs, etc. for years. If you don’t know it, it is acoustic guitar, extraordinarily good stuff. The Hiby/Micron combo is somehow amazing, besting the L&P P6Pro in many regards, mostly in how lifelike it sounds.
The Butastur, with the Vocal cable ( didn’t work with the stock cable), was the most amazing rendition of this album I have ever heard. I could hear every subtle everything, stuff I had never heard before, delicacy to profundity. Detail beyond anything ever, whispers of sound to perfection of the recording venue. I can safely say that this was the most perfect sound I have ever heard of recorded music. I can also say the Butastur is the best IEM I have ever heard BY FAR. I was with Michael Hedges, my head 2 feet from his guitar, hearing every everything! Breathing wood from the body, every slide of fingers on the fretboard, every overtone. So subtle, so absolutely real.
Now I don’t know if that will be the case with every recording/type of music, but what I heard last night left me in awe. Total awe. I couldn’t fall asleep for over an hour after. You have to know how proud you should be for what you have created. A masterpiece. I’ve been an audiophile since 1979 and have heard TONS of amazing equipment. I’ve owned Trailii and heard UM Mentor. Plus owned and heard tons of others. None can do what the Butastur can do. I will say you need to get the Vocal cable to hear what the Butastur can do. "

Since having this experience I've listened to other types of music and with rock, music with lots of slam, the Butastur can't keep up with the Neon Pro or some others. But on anything acoustic or non electrified/synthetic it can't be beat by anything I've yet heard. Quite an achievement for $600, add another $69 for the Vocal......

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #152 of 346
Butastur received.
I am a rock and metal fan, so I think the Neon Pro is steps above the Butastur. Butastur lacks bass and impact, and sounds brighter than NP.
But if you apply a bit EQ to increase the bass just 1 dB, wow 🤤

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #155 of 346
Since having this experience I've listened to other types of music and with rock, music with lots of slam, the Butastur can't keep up with the Neon Pro or some others. But on anything acoustic or non electrified/synthetic it can't be beat by anything I've yet heard. Quite an achievement for $600, add another $69 for the Vocal......
Can you name those some others please? Have you heard the Supernova?

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #157 of 346
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #158 of 346
I was listening to Decapitated. This specific track:

Compared between the First Heart and Butastur. First Heart gives a more thundering and much bigger bass response. The mid and treble are a bit pushed back, but are still reasonably clear, albeit a bit smaller in size.

Butastur, at a slightly higher volume level, produces a really nice bass slam. Yes, more controlled in terms of body but the weight still feels pretty natural. Midrange and Treble notes have a bit bigger body and more pronounced textures. Separation is slightly enhanced as well. The overall presentation feels more clean due to less bass bloom. This cleaner presentation, more mid and treble information, with reasonably pleasant bass slam is beginning to sound more inviting compared to the DD's sharp V-shaped presentation.

Here are a few other observations:
1. The thundering bass presence of First Heart is beginning to sound a bit fatiguing.
2. The Butastur can get loud without causing discomfort in bass or treble.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #159 of 346
If you guys want to extract more bass from Butastur, you could always try the Azla Max tips with them. I've been pretty happy with the bass though; a more neutral bass is great if you like to switch up your genres pretty often. I can go from metal to singer-songwriter without worrying about the vocalist being overshadowed by the stand-up bass player.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #160 of 346
If you guys want to extract more bass from Butastur, you could always try the Azla Max tips with them. I've been pretty happy with the bass though; a more neutral bass is great if you like to switch up your genres pretty often. I can go from metal to singer-songwriter without worrying about the vocalist being overshadowed by the stand-up bass player.
Do Azla Max tips give more bass than Azla Sedna regular tips?

I am using Azla Sedna regular tips (not short), because Butastur is so small I need the extra length to get a good seal.
But Azla Sedna tips are hard and uncomfortable for ears after a while.

Aug 29, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #161 of 346
Do Azla Max tips give more bass than Azla Sedna regular tips?

I am using Azla Sedna regular tips (not short), because Butastur is so small I need the extra length to get a good seal.
But Azla Sedna tips are hard and uncomfortable for ears after a while.

I assume so, since the Max are known for that, but I can't say for sure. Those(the regulars) are about the only Azla Sedna tips I haven't tried.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #162 of 346
I assume so, since the Max are known for that, but I can't say for sure. Those(the regulars) are about the only Azla Sedna tips I haven't tried.
They are exactly the same as the Short ones , but with a longer tube. But it doesn’t change the sound, it is the same as the Short ones.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #163 of 346
They are exactly the same as the Short ones , but with a longer tube. But it doesn’t change the sound, it is the same as the Short ones.

OK. Well in that case, I dug them up for a short comparison(pun not intended). The Max provide more bass, by maybe one db or so.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #164 of 346
OK. Well in that case, I dug them up for a short comparison(pun not intended). The Max provide more bass, by maybe one db or so.
Have they the same size ? Azla short ML == Azla Max ML ?

Aug 30, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #165 of 346
Have they the same size ? Azla short ML == Azla Max ML ?

I've attached a pic of a Short MS along with a Max MS, hopefully that helps.

Edit - I realize I should have added a top-down photo too, but just going by the naked eye I'd say they are very close when it comes to circumference.

Attachments

• 20230830_022336.jpg
    20230830_022336.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back