Nice recommendation needed for an over ear portable headphone. (ES7 vs WS50 vs A500 vs SQ5)
Jul 12, 2010 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Csquare

New Head-Fier
I'm a complete newbie in headphones. I'm into music( i listen to all genre, from soft classical to chaotic metal but mostly i'm listening to Kpop...Got addicted to the voice of the girls in 'Girls' Generation aka SNSD') and i wanted a pair of better headphones so i need some advice and recommendation.

Personally i only owned the Skull Candy Lowrider, i got caught by it's design so i bought it. IMO the bass can hardly be heard so i decided to get a better headphone.

Just recently i went to Stero Electronics in Singapore to test out 4 phones that a friend of mine recommended. ES7, WS50, A500 as well as SQ5.

They are selling...
SQ5 at SGD 119
WS50 at SGD 145
A500 at SGD 165
ES7 at SGD 246

IMO...
(Most Comfortable to Least Comfortable) A500 - SQ5 - ES7 - WS50
(Best to Weakest Sound Quality) ES7 - A500 - SQ5 & WS50(can't determine which is better between this 2 phones)

I kinda like the A500 but it'll makes me look like a wierdo if i plug it into my MP3 player and walk around the streets with it.
The ES7 Sound Quality is amazing like what people said but at the same time, OUCH!
SQ5 is really comfortable but the lack of power in the Bass made me eliminated it.
WS50 is really uncomfortable for me and the Sound Quality isn't better than any of the other 3 so i eliminated it faster than the SQ5.

I'm currently thinking of getting ES7. The sound quality is great! Though i hope for something more comfortable than the ES7(hopefully an over ear phone). I'll be glad if the price range is around ES7 too. Nearly forgotten to tell you guys that i wanted a portable phone which wouldn't makes it wierd to bring out like the A500.

Any nice recommendations???

Thanks in advance =)

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 5
I have used the ES7s as my portable for a while,they are great, appart from not being the most comfortable.
I now use them and the AT m50's which are larger, more comfortable, and actually provide isolation depending on where i'm going which you may want to check out?

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Tried out ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD55 and ATH-WS70 today and compared it to ES7 today evening.

When i saw the long cord of m50 i immediatly cancel it off my list. The sound output is great and it feels very comfortable on the head, though, the long cord makes it hard for everyday usage.

HD555 isn't that great. The bass output isn't strong enough for my liking though it's the most comfortable headphone i ever had on my head. Feels so good but the sound output turns me off -.-

I thought that the WS70 is great. I won't say that it's comfortable to wear but it's definitely more comfy than the ES7. If i got to compare the sound quality to ES7, it's just losing out by a tini tiny wini bit.

But i do hope that i'll be able to get more recommendations... >.<

People please help me out!!!

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 5
Where did you hear them? The HD555 is great, but you're not going to get proper sound out of it without an amp =P

You want a good bassy phone? My best recommendation is the Creative Aurvana Live, which is basically internally identical to the much loved Denon D1001. It's just a rebranding and redesign. They are supposed to be extremely comfortable, come with an extension cable, and are only 60 bucks =P Check out reviews for it on this site, or reviews of the D1001, of which there are more. The main complaint I've heard from them is that they aren't the best at blocking out external noise. Their sound signature should be great for K-Pop, and appealing for most genres =]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826158054&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Headphones+and+Accessories-_-Creative+Labs-_-26158054

Users who are viewing this thread

Back